Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: green tea and hep c  (Read 19410 times)

Offline farmgirl

green tea and hep c
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:51:47 pm »
I saw something on your twitter feed about green tea being good for those with hep c. http://twitter.com/hepatitismag

What's the real deal? Should I be stocking up on it?

Offline truckman

Re: green tea and hep c
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »
hi! if u get more info please post thank you!

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:16 pm »
Green Tea Compound May Prevent Post-Transplant Hep C Recurrence
http://www.hepmag.com/articles/Green_Tea_Catechins_2501_21568.shtml

An antioxidant component of green tea blocks the ability of the hepatitis C virus (HCV) to enter liver cells (hepatocytes), making it potentially useful in protecting the liver against infection with the virus, notably following transplant surgery when there is a high risk of disease recurrence....

Offline mad_adventurer

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »
So Green Tea only helps me if I'm getting a liver transplant? what a let down  >:(

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:21 am »
Mad:

What's important here is that researchers are establishing what is known as a "proof of concept." Now that they've shown an ability to use the ECGC in green tea to slow HCV progression in test tube studies, it's likely that research teams will continue studying it to see how it might be used for treatment purposes in those who don't necessarily need liver transplants.

And while I do think that the repeated green tea references used by the researchers is important -- it makes things interesting and easy to comprehend and clearly illustrates science's ability to manipulate botanicals that have been used for medical purposes for centuries -- I'm fairly certain that someone would need to drink an awful lot of green tea to get the same concentrations of ECGC now being explored in HCV-fighting experiments.

Tim Horn

Offline farmgirl

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »
tx all so i read right there is no need to rush out and start drinking green tea.

there may be some pill form down the road that will help contain it but just drinking tea isn't going to cure my hep c anytime soon.

not the good news i was hoping for but at least i get it now

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.