Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:29:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sovaldi plus Ribivarin  (Read 10009 times)

Offline diamondd

Sovaldi plus Ribivarin
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:37:07 pm »
Between 2002 and 2004, I did two rounds of the interferon/ribivarin combo...one for six months and then, six months later, the twelve-month regimen. After the twelve-month regimen, my viral load was undetectable, but, 30 days later, it had jumped back to over a million.
I'm a 1b. My liver has declined to stage 4, cirrhotic, compensated status with hypertensive portal gastropathy (grade 1 esophageal varices).
Last summer, after an MRI and endoscopy, when the doctor made the stage 4 diagnosis, he said that I could wait a couple of years, when the new all-in-one combo pill is available and I'll be able to be on Medicare Part D. (I have no prescription coverage now.)
I had another visit at the end of March where he performed a cursory physical exam. I'd had a routine blood test which only showed a slight elevation of one liver enzyme and slightly elevated hematocrit.
I was totally shocked when he said that I had to start treatment NOW. Ultimately, what he is recommending is Sovaldi and Ribivarin (no interferon).
I can find no clinical studies using this combo, except for those coinfected with HIV (and those folks were already on other antivirals, so it doesn't seem to apply).
Does anyone know of a study on this combo for a 1b, and what the SVR is? Does it sound like a good idea? The drug company already called and is checking to see if there are funds in its charitable program for the course of treatment. My income is just a tad too high for any other public assistance.
I'm also wondering about Off-label Sovaldi and Olysio (as long as I'm dreaming). Thanks for reading this. I've trolled here for years, but finally put my big-girl panties on and decided I needed to find some answers.

Offline Mike

Re: Sovaldi plus Ribivarin
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »
Hi Diamond,

SOL+RIBV is the recommended treatment for genotype 1a and 1b when interferon is not tolerated. This would be a 24 week course with 80+% SVR, though liver function and other factors can impact success rates.

Another combination would be SOL+RIBV+SMV (simeprevir) x 12 weeks.

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:17:22 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline diamondd

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:49:28 pm »
Thank you so much for your response.
I'm curious as to where you found that data. I've looked everywhere to no avail.
Thanks again.

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:18:11 pm »
Generally speaking, most Hep-C genotype-specific treatment efficacy studies report genotype "1" as a group (i.e, 1a and 1b).

This means that, if the research reports a 90% overall tx success rate for genotype 1, it applies to both 1a & 1b, as statistically the predicted outcome is the same for each subgroup.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:21:55 pm »

Here's a current genotype-specific treatment research study that will probably answer most of your questions, Mike

http://hcvguidelines.org/full-report/initial-treatment-hcv-infection-patients-starting-treatment
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline diamondd

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:19:23 pm »
Yes, that is great info. Thanks, Mike. Just got back from visit with nurse practitioner at dr.'s office. Showing her test results, she recommends waiting for the Gilead combo pill, which she expects at end of 2014. I'm still thinking it over, but the combo pill seems like the gold standard...and it's approval is only months away. Additionally, she noted that the dr. had added peg-interferon to the current protocol he's recommending. Having gone through that twice, I don't think I want to go through that again.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.