Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Started sovaldi/ribavirin combo  (Read 112623 times)

Offline Rich1957

Started sovaldi/ribavirin combo
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:23:36 pm »
Good morning and Happy Easter to all.  Today is day 6 in my treatment with sov/rib.I'm Genotype 2. Must be one of the lucky ones so far absolutely no side affects yet. When I started on the 15th my viral load was 3.5 mil. Most of the rest of the blood work was really pretty good AST 39 ALT 43 both within the range. Only thing off was Triglycerides and  Cholesterol, but that is a product of poor diet, I think. Since I've read and studied Hep-c I've changed my diet to help myself out. Low carb, no grain,limited fat, and extra protein. Salads daily, multiple fruits, and watch proportion size. Already feel much better than I was. Needed to drop 25 pounds and they are melting off. Hope the diet helps my body fight the virus better, can't hurt. Anyway back to why I'm here this site has been so helpful with info and encouragement I love it ,I try to study everything related to this disease.               Can't wait to get more blood work done mid May to see my progress. Lost my wife of 18 yrs to this disease so I know the bad side. The new meds are miracles in the making. Sometimes I feel that I don't deserve it after what I had put my body thru for years. But thank God for them. The only thing that could be better is if the cost was in a range so everyone could get the help they desperately need.                  Just wish you all the best, and thanks to all that pay it forward,good motto to live by.  Fred
Fred

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Started sovaldi/ribavirin combo
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:00 am »
Hi Fred,
Thank you for such an uplifting message. I love that you used this time to make changes in your diet. I did the same thing, and now, I am clear of hep C, thinner, stronger, and healthier. I feel better than I have in years, and when treatment is over for you, I hope the same is true. 
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:44 pm »
Thanks I will try to keep posting as I go along. Just keeping my eye on the ball 7 down and 77 to go. Fred
Fred

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:20:14 pm »
That's great news, Fred! One day at a time goes pretty quick when there is only 84 days to count!

Hang strong and best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:28:41 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:08:15 pm »
Yes, at $1000 a pill, you definitely want to keep track! I used a weekly pill container. I am very good at taking my pills, and as a nurse, very good at keeping track of other peoples' medications, but during treatment, all bets were off! It amazed me how many times I'd take a pill and then wonder if I took it - the pill container fixed that.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:40:54 pm »
Yes I'm of the age that I forget what or if i ate breakfast. My pills came in bottles not on a board , I've had to recount them a couple of times so far. Good idea i'll pick up a daily pill container. Thanks.
Fred

Offline Mike

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:00 pm »
Yes...the pill counter s a life saver. I had two - 1 for the AM; and 1 for the PM. Really helped me keep track. I do take other medication - so it just made it easier.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:14 pm »
Strangely reassuring when others can't recall what they ate for breakfast!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:28:34 pm »
It's funny how you can remember when you were 5 , but hours ago not! Remember we are like a fine wine , get better with age.
Fred

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:48:49 am »
Good Morning all, I guess I do have one side affect , restlessness, cannot sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. Not much to put up with . Just took my meds, starting day 9. Cannot believe how nice it is with the new meds, thank God for the new advancement's in treatment for Hep-C . It's like getting a second chance in life, starting over at 56. Thanks again for all the support and information.  Fred
Fred

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:53:45 am »
Hi Fred,
Yes, that is a common ribavirin side effect. Eventually I needed help with this, esp. for sleep - my doctor prescribed something that really helped. It also helped to take my ribavirin as early in the day as possible. Some docs are also suggesting pts take B12.
And as you noticed, it is still easier than the old days! These issues are manageable.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 07:15:48 am »
Hi Fred,
Yes, that is a common ribavirin side effect. Eventually I needed help with this, esp. for sleep - my doctor prescribed something that really helped. It also helped to take my ribavirin as early in the day as possible. Some docs are also suggesting pts take B12.
And as you noticed, it is still easier than the old days! These issues are manageable.

Good Morning  This is day 13  of my sol/rib treatment. Feeling better everyday. Had an observation that may not mean anything but I'm curious. The first couple of days of treatment My stools were very dark, not black, but very dark. Then in about a week everything seemed to change , for the better more normal color and consistency, even regularity. Have not seen this for years. I know I've changed my diet but wanted to know if this could be from a change in my liver itself. Anyone else or is it just me? Fred
Fred

Offline Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:42 pm »
Hi Fred,

A known side effect of RIBV is a change in stool color (usually dark). However, the greatest factor in stool color is diet. I'd imagine the changes you're noticing are a combination of the changes you made in diet and the RIBV.

As far as changes in the liver, it could be. But this needs to be tempered with the fact that Hep-C inflames the liver (which causes the damage). Assuming that the VL has significantly dropped, it can take up to 90 days for the inflamed tissue to normalize. However, liver enzymes can normalize rather quickly, which can indicate that the inflammation is subsiding.

Both these factors would have a positive effect on the overall health of the liver.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 03:15:04 pm »
Mike one more question, on your blood work what indicates how much inflammation there is in the liver? Thanks      Fred
Fred

Offline Mike

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »
Hi Fred,

Generally, elevated ALT and AST levels suggests inflammation. A liver biopsy, however, is probably the most accurate measure.

When I had my biopsy (2000), I was a 2/2, which means moderate inflammation and moderate fibrosis. However, that was just a real-time snap-shot of the inflammation, as it can wax & wane.

Basically, the research suggests that Hep-C hits the liver in bursts - so one can have a month long period of moderate inflammation (this causes the liver damage) followed by a period of no inflammation (wax/wane).

Once the virus is cleared, it follows that the inflammation stops (as the Hep-C is the pathogen causing the inflammation).

That's why Solvaldi is such a game changer - it knocks the viral load out rabidly - and holds in the majority of those treated (SVR12).

I'm going through the treatment-is-over-and-the-VL-is-undetectable period...all I can do now is wait the 12 weeks to know if it holds. It's really that simple - either it holds or it doesn't.

The first step is getting through the treatment, and I'm glad you're doing well.

We all have a great chance to beat this virus!

Best wishes, Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 07:36:47 pm »
When I started my alt/ast were within a "normal " range. They did a ultra sound and said that my liver appeared "normal" the kicker was my viral load. probably had Hep-C
for almost 30yrs and this is my first treatment. Did not get a biopsy, at the time my insurance didn't want to pay. Since the load was 3.5 mil they opted for treatment now thank God. Can't believe how good I feel, when my wife went through treatment back inn the 90's she was sick from the interferon it wasn't pretty,but her liver was already in cirrhosis by the time they started.  Thanks again Mike and everyone who reads and helps with info.    Fred
Fred

Offline Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »
Started Riba/sovaldi 2 weeks ago , no side effects. Base blood work was ALT 60 AST 36 VL 133529. GT 3a .After 1 week ALT goes from 60-31 and AST from 36-21..Did not have VL done they said after 4 weeks... Had Hep C since at least 95 never treated. Did intravenous vitamin C Milk Thistle and Max Green which kept #s in check and also helped with fatty liver. Have this treatment scheduled for 6 mos. but am hoping to kick ass and be done in 4 or 5 ?? Any other gt 3 , be interested in hearing your progress..

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 08:30:18 am »
Welcome to the forum Coach - I love your dragon avatar! I am not gen 3, but I did clear using sofosbuvir, ledipasvir, and ribavirin during a clinical trial. I had gen 1a - my 3rd treatment. I wish they had shorter treatments for genotype 3s, but the data is so compelling to treat longer, that I hope you aim for the full 6 - perhaps you and your doc can talk about ribavirin reduction if the going gets tough. Has your doc mentioned B12 supplements? Keep in touch.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Coach

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:48 am »
  Thanks for the reply. So far the effects of rib/sov have been fine. A little spacey at times. What are the b-12 supps for?? I know I probably will go the full 6 mos. on meds. but like to think I could end sooner...

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 08:55:59 pm »
Well Monday the 12th of may is my 28th day of treatment and my next Doctors appointment. Everything is going fine , sometimes when I first take my sov/rib I feel tired but other than that I'm great. Just want to see the results from my first blood test, I'm very anxious hope the results are good, that would make the rest of the treatment easier, just knowing it is working. I'm already looking at getting back to work, had resigned myself to never being able again now I have great hope. Thanks,I will report the results of my bloodwork as soon as I receive it.
Fred

Offline thecommodore

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 08:32:43 pm »
Fred,

Great news on how you're coming along.  I'm curious tho - since your meds are pretty expensive, have you had any trouble with your insurance helping you with that?

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 10:26:27 pm »
Commodore   I am on Medicare/ Humana drug coverage. When I found out I was positive it took me about 3 months to get them to agree that I needed the meds. First time they turned me down and I had to appeal the ruling. After that they told me my co pay would be 7000.00 which I could not afford. Got ahold of PAN(patient access network) who gave me a grant for 7000.00 and my meds cost me 3.44 per month. They were a God send. Humana gives me ribavirin in 200 mg at 5 per day. I will  be on my 28th day tomorrow Monday. Can't wait to see if it is all working. There are other places you can go if you are not covered , just be persistent, it's to important to wait on someone else to do it for you. Hope this helped and I will give you anything I know or can help you find. Mike is the one that is an encyclopedia on the subject. Good luck
Fred

Offline Coach

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 02:08:51 pm »
Just got back results from 1st month treatment with rib/sovaldi and viral load is 0. down from 133529 a month ago.. ALT 25 AST 24 only problem is my red blood count is dropping. They say adding iron is good but doesn't that feed the virus?? Doc will be in tomorrow will see what he says...GT3a

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »
Undetectable!  Very nice news, congrats!  No, adding iron will not feed the virus, but won't help you much either, and you would be better off eating leafy greens like spinach, but really the iron won't help much as the drugs are effecting your red blood cell production at the source.  If your count drops too low they will put you on Procrit.  But, the drugs are doing their job and that makes it all worthwhile!  Keep us updated, as we don't get many geno 3's here so your treatment results will be helpful to the guests on this forum. Continued success!  -jack

Offline Coach

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 02:43:58 pm »
Thanks will keep eating the leafy greens and keep posting..

Offline Mike

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »
Good deal on being undie! Makes the journey a lot easier when you get this kind of news!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »
Coach, thanks for the great attitude and the chuckle!  Made me think of a question though.  With Incivek everything tasted like rusty nails for 12 weeks, is taste an issue with sovaldi?  -jack

Offline Mike

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »
Yes. I noticed a peppery taste from either the SOL or RIBV. I attribute this to the SOL, as I didn't notice it when I did 48 weeks of INTF+RIBV.

Taste is gone now, and I'm feeling 10 years younger.

Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 05:34:29 pm »
Congratulations Coach! That is great news. Jack is right, and I'll add a little more to that. There are many kinds of anemia, and the type you have is probably from ribavirin, so iron wouldn't help, BUT the only way to know for sure is with the correct lab tests that will verify the cause(s). So, your instincts of waiting to hear from the doc are good. If you need iron, then you should take it, but few of us do. While you are at it, perhaps talk about B12 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22810757
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Coach

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 11:06:25 pm »
I haven't noticed any difference in taste. Drinking alot of water especially after the riba in the morning. If I do not drink the water I start to feel pretty light headed.

Offline Coach

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 12:27:44 pm »
I will start the B-12 today, thanks Lucinda. Is 2500mcg enough? Also the red blood count is 12.9 so doc wants to continue full 1200 mg of riba. Will keep checking with blood work..

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 03:06:41 pm »
Hi Coach - I'd talk to your doc. In the study they used injectable B12 (5000 mcg every 4 weeks) I don't know what an equivalent sublingual B12 dose is.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Coach

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 03:16:15 pm »
OK will see what he has to say..Thanks Lucinda

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 11:04:37 am »
Well I'm back , just got my blood work results. I started sov/rib on the 15th of April and on the 12th of May I had my first blood work done. I was amazed at my results, I went from 3.5 mil to 38 on the viral load, a small miracle in my eyes. I've got 7 more weeks , been lucky , I've had no side affects from any of the medication. Hope everyone has results like this it really eases your mind. Thanks for listening. Fred
Fred

Offline Coach

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 11:26:48 am »
Thats great news on the viral count...Kick the dragons ass...

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 11:54:29 am »
Rich, somewhere close to 6 log drop in 4 weeks is fantastic!  My 1st go round with the dual therapy it took me 24 weeks to drop that far, and even after another 24 weeks of that hell I still relapsed.  These drugs are breakthrough treatments for sure!  Keep it going and cure thyself!  Best wishes, jack

Offline papaCE

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 02:47:06 am »
Hang in there, I am 2 weeks post Solvaldi/Rib 12 week journey. I was undetectable at 2 week blood test and ever since. I HAD HCV G2 3.4 load at start.
My company changed Insurances mid stream which made things interesting but treatment was already approved.
Just getting my energy back and wind, the Anemia was a challenge in at the end and DR said it takes about a month to get Ribavirin out of system. Getting better everyday. My grandkids shared a cold with me the week I finished meds so I'm getting over that as well. Most side effects came and went some more extreme. The sleeplessness lasted about a month in the beginning.

No matter what...it's a blessing.

Offline Colormepurple

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 09:05:07 am »
Husband just started 10th week and had a 8th week VL done just got results and nothing detected so hopefully will stay that way from now until forever.
Thank you God and to Sovaldi and peg.  Finally some good news .   Smiles forever.  So to the others here look up so far so good.  The journey is bearable hard on loved ones but worth the journey. 

Now to see if stage 3 and cirrhosis will heal up some on its own .

One step at a time

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »
Awesome news.. The hope is there for all of us: "not detected forever"!  -jack

Offline Coach

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2014, 09:58:19 am »
Just got 8 week BW done will let you know results next week. They did not do viral count just the other stuff. Asked Doc why not do viral every month and he said its protocol that they will do viral at 12 weeks??? Any thoughts? It seems you would want to see viral often..

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 10:12:48 am »
Coach - The reason we do viral load tests at week 4 and 12 is to verify the meds are working. If we did it at week 8 it would not alter the course of treatment. It is a pricey test. If the viral load is non-detectable, we celebrate; detectable we worry, but the course of treatment remains the same, what's the point? Does this makes sense?
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Coach

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 10:54:31 am »
OK good to confirm that with you. I believe you have to be your own advocate and I like to double check everything my doc tells me. He has 2 patients on this protocol and it is all very new. Thanks for confirming the info..

Offline Coach

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 03:23:37 pm »
Just got back results of 8 weeks on sol/riba, and all is great. Hemo steady at 13.5, AST- 23 and ALT--20. The next set of tests in 4 weeks will show the Viral count..

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 03:25:59 pm »
Good news, and it is gonna get better... 4 weeks from now, then 16 weeks from now bloodwork... Will be UD I just know!  keep the updates coming and get cured.

Best wishes,
jack

Offline Coach

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 03:29:34 pm »
Thanks for the positive vibs. always good...

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:52 pm »
We'll hope this finds everyone doing well. I started my 9th week today of sov/rib treatment . Went in for my blood work today also, this means I'm in the home stretch . My Doctor informed me today that after my blood work at 12 weeks he doesn't want to see me for 6 months. Will talk to you all after my results are back. Thanks for listening.  Fred

Fred

Offline Colormepurple

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »
Well all I keep looking to check on all of you to see how things are going tomorrow is the last day of meds for my husband and no more needles last one last Thursday, Here's to Slaying the Dragon.  But unlike Mike , they are waiting 6 months to do another Viral load, just to make sure.  They tell me here he is the first one to do sovaldi here so here's to go news in December.  Will be a good Birthday Present for him :):):):):):):) hope it is working for you call and look forward to seeing your results in July Mike. :)

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »
Congrats to him!  I remember taking my last shot, then my last pill... I couldn't believe it.  Great feeling of relief and accomplishment.  I have a beef with your MD though!  The CDC has maintained for way too long that the Hep C incubation period is 6 months post treatment, but hepatologsts' consensus is 3 months is all you need.  There are zero cases of someone being UD at 3 months post treatment relapsing before 6 months!  Why should you have to wait?  Can't wait to hear his good news! -jack

Offline Coach

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 03:05:10 pm »
Good to know about 3months after. Keep the info flowing..Thks

Offline Mike

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 04:58:10 pm »
An undetectable viral load 12 weeks after completing Solvaldi-based treatment is 99.9% indicative of a cure.

Moreover, an undetectable viral load at 4-weeks post treatment is almost as conclusive (99% of those who are clear at this threshold, remain clear at the 3 and 6 month post-treatment thresholds).

Lastly, there will be a lot more numbers, data and research available after July, as the first large group of the general population will be completing treatment (the current research is based on analyzing the clinical trial results and data from 2013).

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:50 pm »
I'm back, got the results of my eight week blood work. Was at 38 on my 4 week results. Now at ud all the other blood work looks good. I am at 11 day's to go. Ready to be done. The only serious side affect from sov/rib is the sun, even just driving have to watch the sun on my arm. Will blister real fast. So far I've lost 45 lbs, looking to loose 15lbs more. Still eating healthy feeling great.  Will report if anything changes , but I don't see it. Ready to start the next chapter of my life, Virus free. Hope everyone has the great result's that I've had. Thanks for being hear for me to ask questions and share my experiences. It's been a pleasant journey. Good luck to all. Fred
Fred

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2014, 05:10:33 pm »
Great news... You will soon be done with this virus.  Let us know the results of your post treatment blood work!  -jack

Offline Mike

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:25 pm »
That's great news Fred! It makes the journey worth it!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2014, 11:27:06 pm »
Wonderful news Fred!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Coach

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2014, 02:27:48 pm »
Results of 12 week half way point just came back.. Viral Zero Alt-20 Ast-20.. All is very good. Hemo down to 13.0 but Doc not concerned.. Next test week 16.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2014, 02:52:54 pm »
Great news... on the far turn now, headed for the home stretch!  Glad to hear your med tolerance is good, and blood count is not falling too low.  They won't worry unless you start approaching 10.  Best news is the treatment is working!  Any weight loss?  Keep giving us updates.  -jack

Offline Coach

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 03:13:16 pm »
No weight loss in fact I've put on 5-7 lbs. Hungry from this stuff all the time. A little bit like when you're on steriods. I never eat sweets and now I feel like them all the time..I used to eat a big brkfst skip lunch and have an early dinner. Now if I skip lunch I feel a little off from meds.. Just have to workout more.. Any thoughts??

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2014, 03:34:29 pm »
No suggestions, except perhaps have fruit and veggies around for snacks to stay away from the empty calories...  In 2004 when I did the 48 week dual therapy I dropped from 180 to 140, and looked like a skeleton.  The interferon diet.. hair loss too. Had to have both red and white blood booster injections too. Then, with the Incivek triple therapy you had to eat fat content with the pills 3 times a day for 12 weeks to keep the incivek from tearing your insides up, then back to the dual therapy for 12 more weeks, and I lost maybe 12-15 pounds.  So, I am amazed by the changes in 10 years, it's awesome, all the while cure rates go up and treatment times go down.  -get yourself cured!  jack

Offline Coach

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2014, 03:37:23 pm »
I can see you've been to hell and back a few times. Thanks for the info.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »
Cry no tears for me my man!  I am really lucky.  I had a disease with no cure in the 80s, and my liver held up long enough for me to get cured.  It wasn't fun, but well worth it, and if I had waited for better treatments, maybe my liver crosses the point of no return?  I am really happy drugs are improved and a bit easier to tolerate, but I have no complaints at all!  Hell, I am cured!  You will be very soon!  It is more fun to be the one doing the cheering now, instead of the one being cheered on...  Join me!  Best wishes, jack

Offline Coach

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2014, 09:29:32 am »
Just did 16 week BW will post results asap. A friend just finished GT 3a 24 week and has a viral of 119000. He started in the millions. They now want him to do 12 more weeks with a shot of Peg once a week??? Anyone ever heard of this or are Docs just trying anything at this point. Also he had done the peg/riba for 18 mos in the past.???

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »
can't wait to hear about your friend

I am also Gen type 3  am
and wondering outcome

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 05:00:32 pm »
HCV RNA, PCR Quant   <15
HCV RNA, PCR, Quant   <1.8
Note HCV RNA  NOT DETECTED

What a great day after being diagnosed over 43 years ago.

Offline Coach

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2014, 07:14:05 am »
Rainbroway, Congrats on those #s How long have you been on meds and what kind.?? To All my 16 week results came in 13.8 on Hemo .. ALT and AST 25.. All is great. 8 more weeks to go..

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2014, 09:16:17 am »
To Coach,
I took the lab at 28 days of sovaldi/ribavirin combo. Liver enzymes were normal at two weeks. Hard to believe, but true.

Offline Coach

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2014, 09:52:07 am »
And you are GT 3a ? How are you feeling on the meds???

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:57 am »
Hi Coach,
I am Gen 1B, I will be on treatment 24 weeks. I am only feeling tired at the end of the day when I arrive from my job. Kind of overly tired than normal. Sometimes takes awhile to get to sleep, but not major, and small spasms now and then on back and legs. Very tolerable so far. Now with non-detected I am inspired to go all the way no matter what.

Offline Coach

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2014, 04:16:33 pm »
Your in the ring with the dragon and kicking a** . No Quit .. Good Luck .Keep us posted...

Offline Coach

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 01:34:05 pm »
    Got back results of 1 week post treatment and undetected alt-16 ast-20 . going back in a few weeks for more BW, Still drinking plenty of water to help clear the body of meds. Feeling stronger more energy. Will keep you posted

Offline Rich1957

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2014, 05:34:24 am »
Well it's been a little bit since I've been on this forum. Things could not be better. Finished 12 wks. of sov/rib on July 8th, results at that time were undetectable. Have to wait till Nov. 13th for my next visit. Had to get a new Doc moved to a new State. Have my fingers crossed, but feel things will be good. Fri. I'll be 57 and am just starting my life after years of this hanging over my head, feels like I got out of prison or something. Just want to thank everyone who was there when I needed the support and knowledge about this plague. Hope everyone gets the results that have blessed me.
Fred

Offline zeena

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2014, 11:03:51 pm »
has anyone had problems with electrolytes? my doc said i was dehydrated because of electrolytes at the time i was in a lot of pain in my  liver and bladder and kidneys what is the best way to keep electrolytes in the body? i had taken a small amout of hydrocodiene and ibuprofen and then saw the contraindications with hydrocodiene. actually i started feeling horrible after i took it and it lasted for 2 days.could that have screwed up my electrolytes? i threw the remaining away.hepc 53 i am in sales too, and the anxiety / energy i get from riba i can process into sales. its when my mind doesnt have something to obsess about that the anxiety goes into outer space.i am not on any antidepressents because i cant be affected by a slow down in productiivity.  oh well...

Offline zeena

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2014, 11:12:28 pm »
its just weird that the side effects are so invisable,and can change on a dime.i remember me telling my doc a long time ago that i could feelpain in pain in my liver, and he said i couldnt because it doesnt have nerve endings or something like that. i dont hear that now. because i feel pain in my liver a lot!oh well.. cheers to our good health and second chance in life not talking about livers but eating them with onions.

Offline Coach

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2014, 12:56:05 pm »
  Got back the results of 5 weeks after, and the Dragon is back . 2 million which is more then before. GT 3a is a bitch. Will have to wait for something new to come down the line. Good Luck to all who are fighting the fight..

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2014, 01:02:03 pm »
Sorry--been reading your posts--that's same treatment as me, same geno

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2014, 01:35:55 pm »
Dammit

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »
Rainbo--I'm not a happy guy either, can't really put it in words

Offline zeena

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2014, 02:53:30 pm »
i am geno type three too. i believe this is our time, the drug companies are not giving up on us,and the new ribaviren peg free drugs will be easier to handle.hold on to how strong you feel coach!! the finish line may have been moved, but we will get there!!

Offline Coach

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »
Thanks to all for your replies and thoughts. So true what you said Zeena about the drug companies and the finish line. I have a ton of things to be thankful for in my life. Don't give up. Don't ever give up. (Jimmy V)

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »

Offline Coach

« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »
Couldn't get on that site without a pword. But will look into it and everything else that comes up ..Thanks

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »
I screwed up the link, copy and paste it to your url.

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B

Offline Bucky

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2014, 04:24:44 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:26:45 pm by Bucky »
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2014, 04:39:02 pm »
Thanks, I don't know either.
Gilead is coming out with a different combo also, that is good for all Genotypes.
I don't have that link.

Offline Coach

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2014, 12:36:59 pm »
  Does anyone have info on Daclatisvir/Solvaldi it is in the Ally 3 trials and sounds like a possible for gt3.. Is it 12 or 24 wks for a sol/rib non responder, ??

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Coach

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:20 pm »
   GT 3 finished sol/rib 9/22 , four weeks after VL came back . My AST was 28 now 126 and ALT was 30 now 280. Now Doc tells me they don't prescribe sol/rib for gt3 . Second guessing myself for ever trying this stuff, I was way better off before the tx. How does taking the meds make things worse????

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »
This really pisses me off--BUT THANK YOU for posting this
In 7 days I finish 24 weeks of same thing--I'm gen 3 also--My doctor has already basically told me that it is not going to work (because we did not use Interferon), I have felt from the beginning something was wrong. To but us thru weeks of this treatment, and I agree with you that I was way better before beginning treatment, there was previous knowledge of the shitty outcome. Believe me---I'm going to be first in line signing up for the class action suite I see coming !!!!

Offline Coach

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2014, 01:06:15 pm »
  I hope your dr. is wrong and it does work for you. I didn't know the disease would come back with a vengeance  if tx failed. My #s are off the charts and now I have no choice but to try the next drug of choice for gt 3. It looks like it might be solvaldi and daclastivir . Can't think about law suits, cause I might not be around to spend the $$..Got to figure out the next step and hope the drug co. is not just blowing smoke up our a---es. Good luck to you .. Keep us posted..

Offline Luna7

« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2014, 02:52:20 pm »
Ack that is my worst nightmare...do deal with riba rage for 6 months for nothing.
I think I will hope for Daclatasvir with Sovaldi to treat genotype 3, but there seems to be some controversy with it at this time due to differing companies creating each drug.
This just isn't right...it's been known for some time that these drugs in combination are very effective with genotype 3.
Between F2 & F3
Alt & Ast nearly 100
Viral load over 8 million
Gt 3a

Treated 12 weeks with Sovaldi & Daklinza, start date mid-April 2016
Undetected at 4 weeks into treatment
Alt & Ast  normal
Treatment completed July 14
Most likely will be undetected at 12 weeks (mid October 2016) as symptoms are gone

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2014, 05:05:20 pm »
Hi Coach

I think you need a new doctor
Per the prescribing information sheet for Sovaldi

https://www.gilead.com/~/media/Files/pdfs/medicines/liver-disease/sovaldi/sovaldi_pi.pdf

The recommended treatment regime for GT 3 is Sovaldi with Ribavirin for 24 weeks. you were on the currently recommend treatment per the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)

http://www.hcvguidelines.org/sites/default/files/full_report.pdf

III. Genotype 3

Recommended regimen for treatment-naive patients with HCV genotype 3, regardless of eligibility for IFN therapy:
Daily sofosbuvir (400 mg) and weight-based RBV (1000 mg [<75 kg] to 1200 mg [≥75 kg]) for 24 weeks is recommended for treatment-naive patients with HCV genotype 3 infection.

The VALENCE study assessed the efficacy and safety of sofosbuvir (400 mg daily) plus RBV for 24 weeks in 250 treatment-naive (42%) and treatment-experienced (58%) subjects with HCV genotype 3 infection. The overall SVR12 was 84% and was higher among treatment-naive than treatment-experienced patients (93% versus 77%, respectively). These results suggest higher response rates can be achieved with a 24-week duration of sofosbuvir plus RBV than those reported for the 12- or 16-week durations studied in the FISSION (Lawitz, 2013b) (12 weeks, SVR12: 63%), POSITRON, (Jacobson, 2013c) (12 weeks, SVR 12: 61%) and FUSION (12 weeks, SVR12: 30%, 16 weeks, SVR12: 62%) trials. The primary reason for the higher SVR with extended therapy among treatment-naive patients was a reduction in the relapse rate from 40% to 5%. In sub-analysis, response rates were similarly high among those with (n=45) and without (n=100) cirrhosis (92% and 93%, respectively).
Alternative regimens for treatment-naive patients with genotype 3 who are eligible to receive IFN.
Daily sofosbuvir (400 mg) and weight-based RBV (1000 mg [<75 kg] to 1200 mg [≥75 kg]) plus weekly PEG for 12 weeks is an acceptable regimen for IFN-eligible persons with HCV genotype 3.
Rating: Class IIa, Level A
The combination of sofosbuvir plus PEG/RBV has been evaluated in patients with genotype 3 infection. In 2 phase 2 clinical trials, PROTON and ELECTRON, 38 of 39 (97%) treatment-naive patients with genotype 3 infection achieved SVR with sofosbuvir plus PEG (4 to 12 weeks of therapy)/RBV. (Gane, 2013b) For many patients with genotype 3, the adverse effects and increased monitoring requirements of PEG make this less acceptable than the recommended regimen of sofosbuvir plus weight-based RBV.

So sorry to read about your relapse. I am genotype 1a and relapsed after 12 weeks Sovaldi Olysio but for me the recommendation has been changed because I have cirrhosis to 24 weeks Sov oly. So I am now on 24 weeks of Harvoni which I believe they are studying if that can be effective in GT 3 as well.

At least while you were treating your liver was not under attack from the hepatitis c virus so the clock was stopped on your liver damage.

There are new treatments coming soon that will give you all another shot at this disease.

Best to you all
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Coach

« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2014, 10:16:34 pm »
  Not sure if I follow ..I need a new doctor.. I was on sol/riba for 24 weeks. for gt 3.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2014, 10:23:04 pm »
I was going by your remark
"Now Doc tells me they don't prescribe sol/rib for gt3 ."

Which is not correct sol rib 24 weeks is per prescription and the AASLD guidelines.

So I am under the impression based on your remark that your doctor is not up to speed on current treatments
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline Coach

« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:22 pm »
   OK..I actually went to a new specialist in liver disease (a new doc) last week  and she told me they are no longer are prescribing the sol/riba for gt3.. ?? So I have a gastro and a liver specialist to try and figure the next step out.. I will be my own advocate to educate myself .. So any thoughts or info you have is greatly appreciated..

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2014, 11:03:49 pm »
Well I don't know as much about GT3 just what I read in the AASLD which is going to be revised soon based on the Confeence in October and newly approved treatments. Sov riba is good for GT 3 but maybe something better is coming that your docs know about from the conference

Anyway good luck fellow traveler
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
I AM FREE!

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 07:26:23 am »
Please--tell my what your doc said is the reason they are no longer prescribing sol/Rib----------is this just that office or were they told by the drug co?
I really want to hear.

Offline Coach

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 08:31:04 am »
   I am not sure. She said we no longer prescribe sol/rib for gt 3..I'll try to find out..I guess it's just not working anywhere near the 70-80-90% they claimed in the Valence study..

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 11:40:44 am »
Hey DesertGuy,
Hope all is fine, We are completing the ordeal, I took my final blood draw and will see the Doc. on Dec. 18. It really is a useless visit as being undetected should be a no brainer. It is 12 weeks from now that is crucial. I feel for you cause the 24 weeks is brutal, and Gen 3 is now the scarey one. I thought at the beginning of treatment my Gen 1B was some gamble but it turns out Gen 3 is now the old Gen 1.  I am praying we both get the cure anyway, but I hear you!! Why give a treatment when other treatments known are better ? Makes you wonder what the reason. Is the medical
field ignorant, shouldn't be. Maybe we are ignorant to listen to some of them. I have my doubts about incentives that some drug companies present for prescribing certain drugs. I have my doubts about the FDA too. It is reason of concern.
But don't let the effects of the Ribavirin defeat you now, get cleaned up and take care of yourself while waiting out the next 3 months, and keep your faith.

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 02:07:57 pm »
Rainbo--yep almost done--I wish I could have my blood draw before my last visit which is next week. My doctor is so lame I will have the blood drawn after I see him--next week I will get the results from last month.
So my plan is to see him--get the draw--and then request all of my records a week later and never go back to this guy.
Yep--no brainer on being undetectable at this point--have taken enough drugs to have wiped me out both mentally and physically, so I'm sure the virus is knoked down now.
So hopefully my brain will clear enough to attempt to re-join society soon. Yes I plan to mellow out--turn my records over to the V A and let them monitor me.
Another treatment if I relapse--I doubt it--face it I have had cirrrohsis I know of since 2006--hep c 1986. I just turned 60 last weekend and if I recover close to what I was feeling like before the treatment, I think I will let it just take it's course. My liver will not heal at this point, and how I feel amounts to what I put in my body to feed it. I feel the treatment, even if I hold at undetectable, has taken some remaining time away from me. I can tell my heart condition has worsened and I don't know what else.
And I will be reading this and the others forums often, looking to see what has happened to the people using these super drugs. I don't know if you remember the new super pain killer Vioxx that came out in the 90's, well it is the reason I have a heart condition now, so I do have a history of believing what drug companies tell you. LOL.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.