Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:34:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SOL+RIBV+INTF EOT VL results  (Read 11384 times)

Offline Mike

SOL+RIBV+INTF EOT VL results
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:59:57 pm »
Just received my EOT VL results = undetectable ♪♫♪♫♪♫

I have the VL checked in 12 weeks, and, if still undetectable, it means SVR12 = cured!

Genotype 1a/grade 2 fibrosis
Previous null responder INTF+RBV x 48 wks 2001
Baseline VL 9,000,000

Thanks for all the support and prayers.

Best wishes, Mike

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:29:09 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: SOL+RIBV+INTF EOT VL results
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:23:06 pm »
Music to my ears!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline rikkyde

• Detected March, 2014; type 1A
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:55 pm »
Great to hear Mike; I'm on day 13 - 71 to go.

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »
Thanks, Rich,

I had a long talk with my GI today and he's pretty confident I'll be cured in 12 weeks.

I did ask him, however: What happens if I relapse and the virus is detectable at the 12 week post treatment threshold? Do we start a newer treatment?

He said, "no." This is state of the art treatment and there is no research or protocol for Solvaldi relapsers (it's to new). This will change in the future; but there are no recommendations for re-treatment for Solvaldi null, non/partial-responders or relapsers.

He stated that the most important clinical indicator for success is being undetected at the 4-week treatment mark  (i.e., 12 weeks of treatment).

He reported that the research will really expand in July, when the first large group of treated individuals hit the SVR12 mark (12 weeks after treatment ends). This will provide a large data set that was unavailable during last year's clinical trials. My results will be in that group.

Basically, last years' clinical trials were completed on small groups of a 200-400 individuals, which yield limited outcome/predictive data.

In July, there will be data on 10's of thousands, which will be of real benefit to the researchers in developing  new treatment protocols for Solvaldi relapsers/nonresponders.

Best wishes for a SVR12 for everyone, Mike
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:05:57 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Marysee

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »
Mike, That is great news!! I am so happy for you. Your profile is almost identical to mine, it gives me such great hope.

Genotype 1a/stage 2
Previous interferon treatment/24 weeks 1998
Baseline VL 9,250,000

2nd to last shot tonite...counting down in a big way, this has been a little rougher than I anticipated, but definitely worth it if it means a cure  ;D

Mary

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:53:08 pm »
Hi Mary,

Looks like you're going to make it through the treatment and on to SVR12!

The treatment was pretty rough on me, too. Thank goodness it's only 12 weeks, as I'm not sure I could have made it another 12-24 weeks!

I truly which you the best, Mary and a SVR12! We both got a second chance to slay the dragon - and gosh darn it that's exactly what we're going to do!

Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline Anand

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:26:10 pm »
Mike,
My wife was asking me last few days whether Mike has posted the EOT numbers yet. You see that there is a vested and vicarious interest and altruistic wishing since you have gone through a wringer all these years. Show me a person who  has beaten the scourge of HepC I will show a person who has a profile of courage perseverance and fortitude.  Congratulations.  Now I have three queries.

1) If one is re-infected will he or she start from square one? When I was infected the GI doctor told me not to worry for about 20- 30 years when the cure will be available. The answer is more important to me than you because I am much older than you as I have lived major part of my life.

2) After stopping the onslaught of C virus on your grade 2 fibrotic liver will it regain its robust self again as you know that liver can repair itself.

3) one answer to possible re-infection or even infection of HepC is a vaccine. Are there research on developing vaccine for the virus?  There is a lot of money in the development of vaccine.

Anand

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:14:09 pm »
Thanks, Anand,

Hep-C is certainly a scourge - and it looks like it's hold on millions will be coming to an end in the near future.

I asked each of these questions to my GI yesterday and here's what I learned:

1.) Yes. If you are reinfected it all starts over. Research indicates the older you are at onset of infection, the quicker the progression of liver damage. So it is important not to get reinfected once the virus is cleared. As a precaution, my doctor recommended getting rid of all used razors, toothbrushes, nail clippers, hair brushes and combs (the chances of reinfecting one's self this way is very, very, very low; but any chance is still a chance). Of course never use anyone's razor, toothbrush et.el. Don't share needles, practice safe sex and stay away from all known ways of transmission, which is just common sense.

2.) Regarding my Fibrosis, there is  research that indicates some rejuvenation of the liver in fibrotic and cirrhotic patients. The difficulty with this is that scarred liver tissue doesn't rejuvenate - however overall liver function can greatly improve as the inflammation stops and continued liver damage ceases. In my case, I have 90-95% percent liver function even though I have fibrosis. I may see a little improvement but I currently have a well functioning liver. What I want to get rid of is the fatigue associated with Hep-C, which I began experiencing in the late 90's. I'm tired of being tired.

3.) We discussed a vaccination as well. There is nothing in the horizon for a vaccination, although scientist have been working on this since Hep-C was identified as a unique strain in the early 90's, and continue to do so.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I think Lucinda may be able to address this with more detail, as she has decades of experience as a medical professional, is a well respected Hep-C educator, published author on Hep-C, former Hep-C patient and, well just a nice person who has been really supportive to all of us in this journey.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.