Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:59:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: life after treatment  (Read 12080 times)

Offline meshell93

life after treatment
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:30:36 pm »
Hi all
Can anyone explain how you feel after treatment and you've cleared the virus? Do you notice that you have more energy? Loose or gain weight? Brain fog cleared?
Thank you and I'm so happy to those that are slaying the Dragon! I start s/o tomorrow 1a and been tired now 20 years

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: life after treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »
It took me awhile, before I felt better, but yes, far less fatigue and brain fog. However although I am clear of HCV, I do get these from time to time just like others my age. Getting cure of hep C doesn't cure you of having a human body - in order to stay well, it means putting in some effort.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:08:57 pm »
Hello,

Note that treatments are changed from my experience, and also that everyone seems to tolerate things differently, but I started feeling better pretty fast after my last interferon shot, and within three weeks felt I was 90%.  I had lost weight, but worked hard not to gain it all back, and I haven't nearly 2 years' later.  Not having to fight those billions of viruses should allow your body a bit more energy.  On the treatment you are on, your viral load will go down drastically within a few weeks. So, perhaps you can keep notes on how you do during and post treatment to update people here. Good luck!
jack 

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:07 pm »
I cleared the virus and was declared cured a last week. The brain fog is gone, I have 100% clarity of thought and feel great. It took about 3 months for the medication to wear off (I completed treatment [SOL+INTF+RIBV] in April). It seems to get better each day.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »
I felt better within the first week of treatment.  I started exercising, and continued to feel better and better.  I have been doing a weight thing and have lost about 15 lbs in the 9 weeks.  Brain fog is gone.  Seriously, I didn't know how bad I felt until I started feeling better.  Had my 2nd check and all my vital signs are normal. 3 weeks to go.   Mikey M

Offline meshell93

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:15:55 pm »
Good to hear and I will keep a journal and also help continue the support.

Offline meshell93

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:13:16 am »
Can anyone also tell me what cured means? Are the cells just sustained or the virus killed?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:02 am »
Although we use the term "Sustained Virologic Response" it means that the virus is permanently gone. A better term would be "virologically cured" - why not just say cured? Because those with cirrhosis still have a liver disease, virus or no virus. Let me know if this makes sense.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline meshell93

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:35 am »
Thank you. Yes that makes sense but I thought once you're "cured" your liver regenerates itself?

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:58:30 am »
The liver can rejuvenate. However, scar tissue cannot, which is what cirrhosis is (scarring of the liver). This doesn't mean that a cirrhotic liver can't improve in overall function once the virus is cleared - but the scarring will remain.

As far as "cured" goes: If a child had the Measles  when young, and, after treatment the viral infection was cleared, you would say the child was "cured."

The same is true with Hep-C: If the virus is eradicated through treatment and remains so for 12-24 weeks after treatment ends (sustained virological response [SVR12 or SVR24]), the term "cured" can be applied.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 02:37:09 am »
Makes since TO me the. Willie g. Ps and after WERE #cured# we cannot still get hepatitis AGAIN. Right? Just like a normal person(are there any normal ones left?)  Can get it ,so can we.even though it doesn't show anymore doesn't mean we can go back to old behaviors like drinking etc.Right? Willie g.  8 th day was not good for me as I. Posted SOMEWHERE else.weird,I thought I was all done with side effects such as hot.fluid,foggy etc.like before I started.any input on that folks. Sol and illusion GENO 1. 1200000 vlc. 7.1our thks. Willie g

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.