Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:52:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm new. Genotype 2. Sovaldi - Ribo Treatment Week 1 Viral Load 1,360,000  (Read 9081 times)

Offline Pelham123

• Genotype 2 - Tx Sovaldi/Riba
Hello.  Thank you for being here.  I would appreciate any wisdom you can share with me. 

I was diagnosed last month with Hep C.  I got it in 1971, evidently, so 40+ years ago.  I have had my blood tested yearly, with no indication of the disease until May of this year, when my AST/ALT went off the charts.  I started Sovaldi/Ribo last week.  The doctor is having my blood analyzed weekly during treatment.   My question is, what should I expect?   Is it common to see the hepatic function panel go up before coming back down, or may I see some improvement right away?   My ferritin and iron levels are also elevated

AST 218  ALT 349 Bilirubin Total .7  Albumin 4.6  Globulin 3.4
Iron 174 Ferritin 334

Offline Pelham123

Sorry my prior post may be confusing, to clarify, I had never been tested for Hep C before; I had a complete blood panel yearly, as part of my annual exam.  I keep a spreadsheet.  My numbers were always within range. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Oh my - this is probably quite an unexpected event in your life. I am sorry I don't have much time to post, as I am headed out of town, but briefly, here are a couple of points:
1) Your ALT will likely drop, but don't know how quickly it will get to normal. It is not common for it to go up and then drop, but that does happen. As long as it doesn't increase a lot for very long, this is OK.
2) Expect to have some side effects, such as fatigue, irritability, insomnia, itching, rash, headache. All these can be managed, and the sooner, the better
3) Expect to be cured - you have excellent chances.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
Hi,
I'm on the same combo as you, one month so far. In the two week blood lab my ast/alt went to normal range. Mine was not quite as high as yours, but you will at least see improvement. You Iron is high, and there is another iron binding test to see how much the liver has absorbed. Ask your doctor if blood letting is an idea. They remove a pint of blood, and the iron goes down. May or may not be agreeable with your doc.
I am on a 24 week plan, you probably are on a 12 week. If you don't have any cirrhosis then if you clear the virus (which it should) then the liver will heal. Your albumin is at a good level.
I just got by 4 week lab drawn, and I am anxious to get the results.
You may get restless and a little anxiety, some get a rash. Drink a lot of water everyday and things will not get severe.
Hope all is well

Offline Pelham123

Thank you for taking time to respond.  My iron IS high, and it's complicated.  While iron binding is normal, and % saturation normal;  I tested positive for the H63D gene for hemochromatosis.  RARELY do people with this gene actually have hemochromatosis ... still, it's complicated.   I'm hoping the numbers come down with treatment.

I had an ultrasound and everything looked normal; but, I haven't had a liver biopsy.  The Dr. said after treatment it would probably be wise to have one just to be sure my body isn't retaining iron. 

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
Hi again,
Just for the record, I knew about my Hepc 43 years ago, so it lingers.
My doctor did a blood test called fibosure and it is pretty good at getting the fibrosis readings. He then asked for a fibroscan and it concured I have stage3 fibrosis/bridging.
Indicating no cirrhosis yet, but justifying treatment asap. Maybe you can ask the doctor about these, they are non-intrusive, no pain.
The iron seems probmatic, but clearing the virus is priority. I have some other issues from the Hepc that clearing the virus should solve, I pray.
Not too many are doing the sol/rib combo on this forum, so keep in touch with results and experience, it will help both of us.
Later

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.