Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:15:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 112
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 79
Total: 79

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Here is a Viral Load test question.  (Read 11744 times)

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
Here is a Viral Load test question.
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:27:04 pm »
OK, I have a question about Viral Load Results, and the statement below it.

Here is the lab result.        <15
HCV RNA,PCR Quani

HCV RNA,PCR Quant           <1.18
HCV RNA Not Detected.

I understand there is no detection from above, but below it reads as follows.

"Please note:the guidelines for the use of new anti-HCV therapies (boceprevir and telaprevir) recommend using a  test method that detects plasma viral nucleic
acid levels as low as 10 IU/ml. This assay has a limit of detection of 10-13 IU/ml
for genotype 1 and conforms to the recommendation. Quantitation of plasma HCV
nucleic acid levels below 15 Iu/ml ( The lower limit of Quantification for this test)
may not be linear, and in this circumstance are reported as  <15 IU/ml HCV RNA Detected."

So my question , IS this a typical report, or is there detection at an even lower level than <15   in my case.???
I still have 10 weeks to go of  a 24 week treatment   Sol/Riba.

Offline Mike

Re: Here is a Viral Load test question.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 03:56:02 pm »
The assay test you took is about as good as it gets. Congrats, Ray! You're undetected!!!

Here's the interpretation clinical guide for the assay:

"This assay has a result range of 15 to 100,000,000 IU/mL (1.18 log to 8.00 log IU/mL) for quantification of hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA in serum.

An "Undetected" result indicates that the HCV is absent in the patient’s serum specimen.

A result of "<15 IU/mL (<1.18 log IU/mL)" indicates that HCV RNA is detected, but the HCV RNA level present cannot be quantified accurately below this lower limit of quantification of this assay. When clinically indicated, follow-up testing with this assay is recommended in 1 to 2 months. To assess response-guided therapy eligibility, an "Undetected" result is required, and a result of "<15 IU/mL mL (<1.18 log IU/mL)" should not be considered equivalent to an "Undetected" result.

A quantitative result expressed in IU/mL and log IU/mL indicates the degree of active HCV viral replication in the patient. Monitoring HCV RNA levels over time is important to assess disease progression and/or monitoring a patient's response to anti-HCV therapy.

A result of ">100,000,000 IU/mL (>8.00 log IU/mL)" indicates the presence of active HCV viral replication, and the HCV RNA level present cannot be quantified accurately above this upper limit of quantification of this assay.

An "Inconclusive" result with the comment "Inconclusive" result. Submit a new specimen for testing if clinically indicated indicates that inhibitory substance(s) is/are present in the serum specimen tested. When clinically indicated, collection of a new serum specimen for retesting is recommended."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:00:24 pm by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:09:20 pm »
Thanks Mike,
I really needed some kind of confirmation in the positive realm. It was a little confusing to me. When the Ribavirin leaves my system at the end of treatment I may see it more clearer.

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:30 pm »
You're doing fine, Ray.

You're undetected, and the meds will make sure you stay that way. I know you had a previous treatment bummer; but Sovaldi makes this a whole different ballgame.

10 more weeks and you're done!

Keep your eye on the mark.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:23:51 am »
That is a typical report---in fact almost identical to mine
I have received all of my pills---Dr. said I end treatment at Dec16th--I count Dec 19th----at my last Dr.s visit I really made him talk to me about the viral load tests as it seems that is what us taking the treatment are concerned about
In his words--don't be excited about being undetectable----we are concerned about the 12 week post treatment tests as that is the one HE looks at
Think I'll cancel all of my visits until April---then he can tell me where I stand

Offline DesertGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:27:35 am »
Don't know how you are doing ??  this Ribavarin is still tearing me up--can't sleep--the Riba Rage has been okay for a week or so--really on a rollercoaster emotionally--but being able to see the end date is better----

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:16:08 am »
Hi Desertguy,
I'm suppose to end on Dec. 17, we are very close. I'm makng adjustments as the Ribavirin is a nasty drug, but I am still working but taking a week off after today. I go home and just want to flop, I sometimes feel useless. When this is over, we should share our experiences on the forum for others, with the new treatments I will advocate for others to stay away from Ribavirin.
My doctor stated I probably could stop at 16 Weeks because the result have been so good, my labs are all in range too. But I told him I could stop NOW !, but I will complete 24 weeks cause I want to be sure to never go thru this again. My doc wants a Viral load at the end of 24 weeks, otherwise I would not go to see him till April either. I believe the end lab test is for the insurance company, and for case study purpose. It's ok, cause drawing blood is actually a good thing, for one the iron levels can go down a bit and that is good for the liver.

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:08 pm »
Hi DesertGuy,

Don't let the doctor kid you. Being undetected at the end of treatment is a significant milestone!

In fact, if you are undetected 4 weeks post treatment (SVR4), you have a 98.2% chance of achieving a SVR12. If you achieve a SVR12, you have a 99.8% chance of achieving a SVR24.

I'm a betting man, and would wager a lot of money that both you and Rainbowray, will be cured!

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline rainbowray

• Gen 1B
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 02:24:58 pm »
Sounds like a good bet to me.
Also, putting money in stock like Johnson and Johnson might be a good Idea too.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.