Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Partner has hep c and acts like its no big deal...need answers  (Read 13851 times)

Offline help

Partner has hep c and acts like its no big deal...need answers
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:34:08 am »
I found out yesterday that my partner has Hep c. I have so many questions. I am so scared. I live with him and I will find out soon if I have it or not. I have never used needles but he has, even though he says he always used a clean one, I doubt you can say that for sure. I have never done anything like that, what are the chances I have it?

Also he is acting like it is no big deal. He went out drinking the night he found out, he says its ok to have a drink every once in a while, and that it doesn't matter what you eat, his doctor said so. Can this be true?

Also..Is it possible detect through a test when you contracted the Hep C infection?

He will start Harvoni soon and he is convinced that this will cure him 100%. Is this true?

I thought this was for life, I thought it was really bad, so why is he acting like its not?

I am so afraid to know if I have this or not. I do not have insurance and I don't even want to know how much this could cost me if he has infected me.

Could someone please enlighten me a little?  i really appreciate this forum because I have no one to speak to about this

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Partner has hep c and acts like its no big deal...need answers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 05:45:48 am »
Here is some quick info from the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm

The CDC says that hep c can be sexually transmitted but the risk is low in monogamous long term couples you risk is slightly higher than that especially if you engage in any activities that could involve blood to blood transfer as hep c is a blood borne virus.

If he has little to no liver damage it could be "safe" maybe not the wisest choice but I was there at one time myself when I was first diagnosed 25 years ago. My doctor said it was ok yo drink 12 drinks a year and not at once but that advice was also from 25 years ago.

Yes the new meds like Harvoni just approved this year offer the promise of cure for those of us who have had no option for many years.

If you are concerned you could get tested for antibodies to the virus which only shows if you have been exposed to the virus. If that test is positive then you would need the test for the virus itself called the HCV RNA by PCR to determine if you are currently activity infected. If either test is negative you do not have hep c.

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline help

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 11:35:22 am »
Thank you so much.... I appreciate it so much. I will find out Thursday and go from there.

Offline elizabethfaraone

• happy and in love with Michael Sofia
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:04:46 pm »
Hepatitis C is a big deal and you should be tested.  You probably don't have it, but you MUST put your mind at ease.  I would also question yourself.  Do you REALLY want to stay with a man who is so cavalier about this disease.  Yes, there is finally a cure, but we are not going to know about long term adverse effects from the medicine for a long time to come.  These drugs are new.   In addition, a lot of people are being denied these drugs - they are very expensive.

Be careful not to contract the disease from him.  No sharing of razors, toothbrushes.  The virus can live outside of the body, so any way you can imagine transmission into your blood stream are behaviors you must avoid.  Anal sex and rough sex can transmit the virus.

It is best not to drink alcohol and to eat a very healthy diet once you've been diagnosed with hepatitis C or any other chronic disease, for that matter.

In the future, before you have a sexual encounter with anyone, you must insist on them getting tested for all sexually transmitted diseases AND hepatitis C.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:18:11 pm by elizabethfaraone »
Infected in 1987 in China when MD administered acupuncture with reused needle
Diagnosed 2001
Genotype 1a w/ Q80K polymorphism
Attempted treatment with Interferon/Ribavirin 2003 and stopped immediately
2014 fibroscan no fibrosis
2014 abdominal ultrasound normal
Found gastroenterologist to advocate for me upon Harvoni approval by FDA
Began treatment w/ Harvoni December 2014
Undetected at four weeks
Completed 12 week treatment February 2015
Blood tests normal
ElizabethFaraone@yahoo.com

Offline TXLastTime

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »
I was married for 19 years and my wife never got the disease and was tested numerous times. That includes un-protected sex. Sharing a needle is how most people get it. Unless he bleeds all over you then it should not be a problem. But, do what's best for you. If he is being reckless then dump him.

I was very stupid when I was 18 and did share a needle and that's how I got it over 27 years ago. Lucky enough I did not get HIV or any other disease from doing this dangerous activity.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.