Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: just received a denial from my insurance company for Harvoni  (Read 10469 times)

Offline hkillinger99

just received a denial from my insurance company for Harvoni
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:02:44 pm »
I am brand new here and just received notification from my ins company that they are not going to cover Harvoni.  I am devastated, as I am chronic, have had hep c genotype 1A for likely over 16 yrs. I just found out I had it back on July 29, 2014. I was hoping to be over and done with it, but no such luck.  If I was sicker, they would approve it. If I was able to show proof of being clean and sober for the last sick months, they would approve it. Fact is, I have been clean and sober for nearly 17 years and I am just plain angry right now.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: just received a denial from my insurance company for Harvoni
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:42:40 pm »
Denial is routine but many are getting the meds on 2nd or 3rd try - to get help, contact http://www.mysupportpath.com/ or Help4Hep  877‑Help‑4‑Hep (877‑435‑7443).

Your anger is understandable. If you are in a 12 step program, you probably know how to deal with it. Keep in touch, and let us know if/when you get Harvoni.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 07:50:23 pm »
Hi and welcome

Many of us were denied on first request for treatment.

Do you know your fibrosis? Is AbbVie's Viekira Pak with Ribavirin not contraindicated for your case? You may be able to get approved for that med if your fibrosis is low.

Also if you could let us know your insurance and prescription drug provider express scripts for example we may have some suggestions to try to help get the meds.

Best of luck to you
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline hkillinger99

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:05:14 am »
not sure who I am replying to, but thank you both for your support. I am so grateful for this blog, feeling much less alone. I have Highmark BS (shared ppo in PA) and I did make a call to my doctor's office today to find out what we do next. I have every intention of appealing the decision and taking whatever steps I must, but I am still processing the disappointment. Not sure what my viral loads are, less than 1 million is all I know. Biopsy results showed mild to minimal scarring, so the course of treatment was to be 8 weeks. I had no idea the effects of the hep c on my physical health. I just thought it was aging or perimenopause (I am 42). Now I realize the disease has been active for at least 4 years. Brain fog and exhaustion is the worst.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »
Hi again

I am going to guess your prescription drug coverage is express scripts and Accredo for your speciality drug provider. I have BCBS of IL because that is where the corporate HQ for my employer is in Chicago although I live in Washington state.

Express Scripts struck a deal with Abbvie in favor of their product Viekira Pak which if you have Genotype 1a will also need to be taken with Ribavirin if you have genotype 1b you don't need the riba just the Viekira Pak but either way treatment s for 12 weeks.

So most likely that is what your doctor will need to do is to ask for Viekira Pak as if you have express scripts and have low viral load with minimal liver damage from what I understand that is all they will approve.

I am taking Harvoni for 24 weeks but I am a multiple treatment failure with cirrhosis diagnosed 7 years ago.

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline jstive

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:30:13 pm »
I was also denied the first time. That is when my doctor wrote to the insurance company and explained that it was an absolute must that I receive this medication (harvoni). Shortly there after I received my approval. I have been on harvoni since 3/11/2015 and have no side effects whatsoever. I am 62 yrs. old and have had the virus for many years. I am so grateful to the good lord for providing us with a cure. You hang in there and you will receive an approval for it. My program is for 24 weeks and as I stated in my other post that my viral load was 6 million had to go see my doc after 8 days on harvoni had a blood test done and went to the doctor. My viral load after 8 days on harvoni dropped to 404. I couldn't believe this. I even asked him if he ment 4 million he said no 404. So I am so excited about this medication. Hang in there my friend you will be cured. By the way you would think these insurance companies would be willing to pay for this in the early stages instead of waiting till it gets worse.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.