Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:29:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dental Work while on Harvoni!  (Read 16237 times)

Offline LCastro

Dental Work while on Harvoni!
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:17:21 am »
Can I have dental work done while on Harvoni? I am 6 weeks into my treatment (12 weeks program). Should I wait? Dental work will only require local anethesia. Thanks in advance for any advice. BTW I posed he same question to my DR, waiting on his reply.

Offline Islandgirl

• Started Harvoni 12/3/14 - EOT 2/25/15
Re: Dental Work while on Harvoni!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:02:30 pm »
LCastro,

Welcome, and I hope you've heard back from your doc?  I'd be asking my dentist and the nurse at the Support Path too. 

My dentist knows that I have HCV and had started Harvoni, and had no problem with doing the deep cleaning that required local anesthesia (injection) and I also knew that I had started Harvoni the week before.  I'm looking forward to seeing him next month and showing him my "undetected" lab confirmation!  I had no problems with the work done during my Harvoni treatment, however, I urge you to check with your own dentist and Gilead Support Path nurse, in addition to your doc.  Good luck!  ....Islandgirl
1b, treatment naive, positive for Hep C since 1994; thought to be transmitted via blood transfusions in 1976
Started Harvoni 12/3/14, EOT 2/25/15
12/31/14 labs - Virus Undetected, ALT/18, AST/34
3/25/15 labs - 1 mo post 12 wk Harvoni TX Virus Undetected!!  :) ....Islandgirl

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:03:27 pm »
You can have any procedure, vaccine, dental work, etc while on Harvoni.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »
Hi Lucinda

Just a quick question about vaccines. I don't believe I had either the Chicken Pox vaccine or Chicken Pox. I believe I did have the German Measles virus as a child. I did have the Mumps as well. For reference I was born in 1958.

I was vaccinated against Pneumonia and Hep A and B when I was diagnosed with cirrhosis. I have been hearing about Prevnar-13 for pneumonia.

Wondering if I should have the new Prevnar-13 vaccine, Chicken Pox Vaccine, Shingles vaccine and I also if I should get a booster for the measles as it has been going around again recently. Or possibly other vaccines I failed to consider. My tetanus shot is up to date. Also never had HPV  or Meningitis vaccines. Would appreciate you thoughts. I keep forgetting to ask my liver doctor.

Thanks
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline apache

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:32 pm »
Hi Lynn and Lucinda,

Good questions about vaccines, Lynn.  I look forward to seeing Lucinda's reply.

In the meantime, I came across .pdf from the CDC which may help.  It describes the vaccines for adults in various age ranges.  There are 2 charts. Scroll down to see the second chart.  That one takes into account several illnesses/conditions, and for each vaccine says whether one should or should not get the vaccination, when one has that illness/condition.  Unfortunately HPC isn't one of the factors they consider, but you may find the other info useful.

The .pdf chart is available at:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule-easy-read.pdf

----
Also regarding Chicken Pox, I know I haven't had the vaccine, but... I don't know if I ever had Chicken Pox as a kid (meaning I wouldn't need the vaccine now).  So I asked my dr if I should go ahead and just get the Chicken Pox vaccine, and they said that would be a bad idea, because it's a live vaccine, so it would be a bad idea to get it if it turns out I'd already had the vaccine (or already had Chicken Pox). Instead, the dr said they could draw my blood and check for the antibodies.  And see if the titer level of antibodies indicated that I was still protected.  The actual name of the test was "Varicella Zoster Imm. Status", and the results look like this:

Std Range    Your Value
VZ Antibody    GT18      Greater than 1:8

VZ Screen Interp:  Evidence of past infection with Varicella zoster virus
or immunization with varicella zoster vaccine.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:31:40 pm »
Hi Apache

Thanks for the info great site.

They do list chronic liver disease and as I have cirrhosis I am more concerned about making sure I all required vaccines as my health is somewhat fragile.

From what I am getting from the chart I can put off the Shingles until 2018. I may need the PCV-13 and the Meningococcal. May or may not need MMR (I don't think I had the 1st M) same for HPV. Looks like I should get the chicken pox vaccine and maybe on a new one to me HIb Haemophilus influenzae.

I think I will print the chart and ask my doctor thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:45:36 pm by Lynn K »
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline davidsconfused

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 09:12:46 am »
You can have any procedure, vaccine, dental work, etc while on Harvoni.

So I shouldn't have a problem with shingles and hep a vaccine?

Offline Amj1951

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:06 am »
Lucinda, (Hi everyone! : ) I started the hep B vaccine before I started the harvoni treatment. My 3rd and last shot is due in March, but I don't finish the harvoni until April fools day! : ) Do you think its ok to take that last shot while on treatment or should I delay it till I am finished with the treatment? I guess I can add this for my list of questiona for the doctor. I don't know if its even ok to wait an extra month on the vaccine shot?!?

On antibiotics. Do they or even certain types of antibiotics interfere with the harvoni at all?

I hope everyone is having a great day!
Meredith

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:24:50 pm »
It is absolutely OK to and highly recommended to have your vaccines when they are needed - treatment and hep C don't affect this at all.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline mikelhc

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:57 pm »
I assume that dental x-rays are OK?  Don't like them, but need bite wing and comb x-rays for periodontal (or cavity) work.  Will put off actual work until done with Harvoni.  thanks...Mike

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 04:26:08 pm »
You can do the dental work and the x-rays - this isn't like the old days with interferon.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.