Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:40:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 70
Total: 70

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Viral Load Testing Reports FYI  (Read 10024 times)

Offline ma snart

Viral Load Testing Reports FYI
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:48:20 pm »
All, I know everyone wants to see the word UNDETECTED, but this could be the reason you only see a <15 or maybe a <50, please check with the Lab that you are using, I called the genetics lab director of a major Hospital in our town that are performing Helens testing and on week 8 she still showed a 22 viral load, on week ten we got a <50
I would have been very confused, but since the director told me their standard is to inform if even 1 is visible, when UNDETECTED they report the <50. he explained that there is so much confusion that this how they have informed all doctors in town of how there testing will be reported. They do not report the word UNDETECTED on any results they perform.  I find this hard to believe that everyone else gets the words UNDETEDTED, but is this from the actual report or from the Doctor reporting what was reported and they translated it? See below for the actual reports from week 8 and then week 10.

Component                              Standard Range           Your Value
Hepatitis C Quantitation by PCR         IU/mL <50 IU/mL                       22
Hepatitis C Quantitation by PCR         logIU/mL <1.70             logIU/mL 1.35

Component                              Standard Range           Your Value
Hepatitis C Quantitation by PCR         IU/mL <50 IU/mL          IU/mL <50 IU/mL
Hepatitis C Quantitation by PCR         logIU/mL <1.70             logIU/mL <1.70

I have confirmed with Helens doctor, and yes he confirms this is normal reporting and it does equal UNDETECTED on week 10.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this.
Thanks
Ma Snart
Helen 54 yr old female
Geno 1B since 84 from transfusion
started Harvoni on 11-22-14 with 8.5 million viral
After 8 days 933 viral and normal AST and ALT
Week 10 viral load  UNDETECTED
Week 17    detected 19
Week 18    detected 21
Week 20    UNDETECTED   Doctor did prescribe Ribavirin, but have not taken it yet as we are thinking that weeks 17,18 had to have been mishandled.
All other test have shown normal levels.
Week 21 results  on Tuesday 4-21
Week 4 post Harvoni 24 week plan UNDETECTED!!

Offline MEG

Re: Viral Load Testing Reports FYI
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 04:20:05 pm »
Thanks so much for this information ma snart. I'll have my first  4 week on-treatment loads this week.

It's at a different hospital and this is very helpful as I don't know how they will report the results...
Geno 1a. IL28B+ with TT polymorphism.
Diagnosed 1993.
Liver Biopsy 1993 --inflammation.
Fibroscan 2014---no fibrosis.
ALT range---60s
AST range---80s.
Platelets: 200K range.
Viral load--2 million range.

Began Harvoni on January 23.
Finished 12 week course on April 19.

May 18---4 week EOT labs:
VL: UNDETECTED.
AST: 23
ALT: 22...........These have not been this low throughout treatment and since my 20s.

12 weeks EOT on July 15---Undetected.

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:02:20 pm »
Hey Meg.. I wanted to thank you to the link to this thread which you mentioned in the other thread we were both reading.

Unfortunately this really doesnt shed any light on my situation. .. Since I was reported as having a fixed viral load value of 29, and not a 'less than' value, even on the system  of reporting referenced in this thread, my test would still have been reported as Detected and outside the standard reference range.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline ma snart

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:36:50 pm »
Dragon, you are correct, although there is a possibility that the test was in error, or in Helen's case she still showed 22 at 8 weeks,  and I was a bit discouraged that most had reached UD by 4 weeks or so, it took a couple of more weeks to get it, not sure if Harvoni continues to work its magic after EOT but if it does, there is still a possibility that you may have achieved UD a day or so after your test, I would ask for a retest just to find out.
GL to you
Snart
Helen 54 yr old female
Geno 1B since 84 from transfusion
started Harvoni on 11-22-14 with 8.5 million viral
After 8 days 933 viral and normal AST and ALT
Week 10 viral load  UNDETECTED
Week 17    detected 19
Week 18    detected 21
Week 20    UNDETECTED   Doctor did prescribe Ribavirin, but have not taken it yet as we are thinking that weeks 17,18 had to have been mishandled.
All other test have shown normal levels.
Week 21 results  on Tuesday 4-21
Week 4 post Harvoni 24 week plan UNDETECTED!!

Offline MEG

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »
Shux, dragonslayer. I agree with Snart re: having it rechecked if your doctor is willing. There's nothing to lose since you're already operating on the premise that you're still detectable and perhaps the joy of knowing your UD to gain?
Diagnosed 1993.
ALT range---60s
AST range---80s.

ALT: 22...........These have not been this low throughout treatment and since my 20s.

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 07:17:59 pm »
Ive got a dr appt mid april; Ill do the quant rna test  a wk before, at the 12 wk post treatment marker.
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

Offline MEG

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 09:41:59 pm »
Fingers crossed. Best to you, dragonslayer.
Diagnosed 1993.
ALT range---60s
AST range---80s.

Offline motor

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:21:35 pm »
Been thinking of you, DragonSlayer, and have more positive expectations for UND results of Apr testing than when I first read your 8wk results.  Hope you're feeling better about it, also.
Age 66male GT 1a/CT  Dx 5/19/14
Likely infected early 70's
VL 3.7mil FibroScan F2 FSure F2
ALT 84(12-78) AST 56(3-36) High
Tx naive
8wks Harvoni start 3/3/15 VA
4wks ALT 25(12-78) AST 22(3-36) Normal 
        VL  <15  NOT DETECTED
8wks ALT 24 AST 19 
EOT  VL   <15  NOT DETECTED
SVR12 VL <15  NOT DETECTED

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:01:46 pm »
Been thinking of you, DragonSlayer, and have more positive expectations for UND results of Apr testing than when I first read your 8wk results.  Hope you're feeling better about it, also.

Thanks, guys.. Naw, really, Im fully expecting for my VL to have gone way up and attacking my liver with a vengeance.   Not knowing really plays games with your head. .Im feeling more liver pains, and my palms seem redder.. Or do they?   The only thing Im really sure of is I cant sleep more than  about 3-4 hrs a night.. Ill get to sleep ok, but almost always seem to wake up in 3 to 4 hrs, and not feel drowsy enough to get back to sleep.  Must be my liver doing it.. .  And those liver pains.. maybe Ive progressed and not in a good way.  Or not.   Intellectually, I know its not likely, but it doesnt stop me from worrying...  40 plus years of this disease.. In '08 bx shows stage-0 and grade-0.  '13 bx showed stage 0-1, grade 0-1.   Havent had any alcohol  to drink since then, so its very unlikely to have advanced much beyond that.    But Im always looking for reasons I did not achieve UND at my EOT test.   Could I have gone from stage 0 to stage 4 in 2 yrs?   Highly unlikely.  My VL test was done about 3.5 wks prior to commencement of treatment... I tested 2.4 mil; could it have gone to over 6 mil in that ensuing month leading up to treatment?   Since the highest vl Ive ever had was back in '08 when I was diagnosed and that was 3 mil, its not likely.   Maybe it was a supplement I had taken..  As I said, Ive got horrible insomnia... So I made a calculation.  The body needs sleep for the immune system to function, right?  I took my Harvoni every day between 9 and 10 am,  and I took sleep aides about 8-9 hrs earlier, so there was plenty of separation time for the Harvoni to be absorbed and not interfered with supplement-wise.   I would rotate ambien, 5-htp, and diphenhydramine (antihistamine) during most of the treatment taken 8-9 hrs before Harvoni.  Sometimes Id toss in a melatonin.. Nobody told me those were contraindicated. I also took a daily levothyroxine (synthroid) for hypothyroid condition every morning about a hour or two before my Harvoni, but again, nobody told me to stop taking my thyroid med.   And thats about it.. I keep reading here how one after another manages to go UND at end of treatment or earlier, so I cant help searching for reasons why I didnt.  Yet I come up with no answers.

Maybe youre right.. Maybe the EOT test only found non replicating virions that were soon thereafter flushed from my system... But Im not giving that any weight.  Ill know soon enough though... in a couple of months.   I could do a test earlier; I have a signed lab req the nurse sent me that can be copied and used. But Im choosing to wait.   He told me to do the test at 12 wks post treatment and thats what Im going to do.. I find these tests to be very anxiety producing, and with the odds greatly in favor of not being UND, I'll just wait and do it then.  Ill do it a wk before my appt.. That way, when  the test comes back bad, Ill be able to immediately meet with him to explore treatment options, rather than do the test now, and then have to endure 2 months of waiting til my appt to come up to discuss further treatment plans.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:17:16 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.