Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:37:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 119
Total: 119

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Second course of treatment for Hep C  (Read 5570 times)

Offline chino1969

Second course of treatment for Hep C
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:56 am »
Greetings all; new member here.  I've had Hep C since 1973, formerly non A B Hepatitis.  Approx. 15 years ago went through an unsuccessful 2 months of Interferon/Ribavirin which was horrible.  Last April 2014, I went through a 12 week tx. of Solvadi & Olysio.  Was SVR at 4 & 12 weeks with minimal side effects.  Drank plenty of water.  In Nov. 2014, the virus was back.  Dr. prescribed a 24 week of Harvoni, insurance co. denied, we appealed and won.  Somehow the Medical Review Institute of America reviewed my case and overturned the ins. co's. initial denial. At any rate I'm going into my 2nd week of Harvoni with minimal side effects.  I drink at least a gallon of water a day.

Here is a very important concept I want everyone to understand.  You have to be your own advocate with this disease.  If denied, appeal it.  Do not assume things will work seamlessly because they will not.  Manage this disease as you would an important project.  Question, challenge, maintain your own records and fight like a Spartan.  Decide that you will defeat this disease and do not give up.  Good luck to all!

Offline chino1969

Re: Second course of treatment for Hep C
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:12:29 am »
Here's another tip for anyone fighting a chronic disease.  Get another team or Dr. involved with your case.  My gastro. is great.  He's been treating me for 20 years and is a grad of Temple Medical School in Phila., PA.  I recently made my own appt. with a highly respected Hepatologist at The Perelman Center of The U. of P. in Phila., PA.  I now have a second set of eyes in the form of a team who work with and communicate with my Gastro.  Like I said, put yourself in control of managing your disease.  Drive the bus and solicit the best help you possibly can.  Most gastro's deal with a host of problems and have many patients.  In my world there is only one patient that counts and that is me.  Never settle for 2nd best and fight like you are fighting for your life because you are.  Having faith in God or a spiritual belief system is another important cornerstone of a solid battle plan.

Offline BubbaT

Re: Second course of treatment for Hep C
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:48:13 pm »
Hi chino, good advice, glad to hear your winning the fight, I get started next week on harvoni, I've waited 20 yrs for some effective meds to treat this devil virus and now we have some ammo to kill this thing, I'm happy to fight it now that I have a good gun!

I'm 57 and was told I was f4 so praise the lord I'll be kicking some arse and taking names here real quick! Lol

Thanks for the helpful tips my fellow warrior!
Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.