Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:27:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: For the girls - chronic yeast infection  (Read 10182 times)

Offline Kwick

For the girls - chronic yeast infection
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:57:25 am »
Hello All,

I've completed 2 months of Harvoni treatment and for the past month have had a chronic yeast infection that over the counter creams just aren't effective.  Has anyone else experienced this maddening symptom. The only other symptom I have quite often is diarrhea.  I wonder if I could take fluconazole oral tabs or if that would interact with the Harvoni treatment?

On a side note I had major disappointment when I went for my follow up 4 week visit and there were no viral counts. I took the blood test, went for my appointment and heard the doctor outside the door ask where my results were. He came in and only had part of the results. I suspect the phlebotomist made an error or it wasn't on the medical script.  The doctor told me it doesn't really matter anyhow because the real test comes at 5 months for me (12 week treatment) or two months after treatment and then you know for sure if your clear of the virus. Still that was highly un-motivational and disappointing.  Katherine

Offline nicole_1234

Re: For the girls - chronic yeast infection
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »
Hi Katherine, I started getting chronic yeast infections about six months before I started the treatment. They tested me for everything from diabetes to HIV to gonorrhea and chlamydia twice and found nothing. I believe that it could be something to do with my compromised the liver. Any medications they gave me would mask symptoms but then it would immediately come back after I discontinued medication. I just began a six-month extended treatment on Diflucan now that I am finished with Harvoni  and I don't have to worry about drug interactions. But after taking the initial dose which was one every three days for a week the infection is still there. My doctor said because the medicine is not working it's probably something else besides a yeast infection. This is the fifth doctor I have gone to see regarding this problem. I really don't know what's going on with my body but it's horrible and I'm very frustrated. My acupuncturist said since the Western medicine isn't working I should really focus on my diet. She believes it's all to do with inflammation and my liver. I was hoping since I cleared the Hepc  that these problems would just go away but it looks like I need to do a little more work to get my body back in good health.

She told me to eliminate all sugar carbohydrates wheat, dairy and alcohol for one year. Like nothing, not even cheating once in a while. Sugars also include most fruits. I've just been struggling the last two days with getting used to this idea and not being bummed out about it. It would be great to eat so healthy but I feel like I'd be living like a nun! I just have to remember my liver needs time to heal and I was running around with a compromised immune system for 15 years!

If my diet starts to work or I find out anything else I'll let you know!

Genotype 1a
TX interferon/riba 2007 (relapsed)

TX Harvoni 12 week start Dec 3 2014
Starting vl 650,000  ALT 55 AST 63
2 week  vl <15
4 week vl UND
8 week vl UND
12 week EOT ALT 11 AST 18
6 week post tx UND ALT 15 AST 20
12 week post tx UND (CURED!!!!) ALT 11 AST 20
24 week post tx UND ALT 11 AST 18

Offline Kwick

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 11:03:51 am »
Thank you for replying that all makes total sense with the liver being compromised for us. I could see how you would think it would get better after being free of the HepC virus, that is my thought as well....hmmmm. That strict diet you are on seems really awful (no carbs, sugar or fruit!) and please do let me know if you have success.  I decided to skip the diflucan (fluconazole) treatment until I'm finished with the Harvoni regime, I don't want any drug interactions to possible mess up my treatment outcome.

One good medical side effect that I have experienced is that my fibromyalgia symptoms are better.  My doctor looked at me skeptically when I told him that fact but my muscle pain really does feel much better. 

Offline elizabethfaraone

• happy and in love with Michael Sofia
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:48:11 am »
Hello All,

I've completed 2 months of Harvoni treatment and for the past month have had a chronic yeast infection that over the counter creams just aren't effective.  Has anyone else experienced this maddening symptom. The only other symptom I have quite often is diarrhea.  I wonder if I could take fluconazole oral tabs or if that would interact with the Harvoni treatment?

On a side note I had major disappointment when I went for my follow up 4 week visit and there were no viral counts. I took the blood test, went for my appointment and heard the doctor outside the door ask where my results were. He came in and only had part of the results. I suspect the phlebotomist made an error or it wasn't on the medical script.  The doctor told me it doesn't really matter anyhow because the real test comes at 5 months for me (12 week treatment) or two months after treatment and then you know for sure if your clear of the virus. Still that was highly un-motivational and disappointing.  Katherine

For years, I suffered from vaginal and urinary tract infections and I believe the underlying cause was the hepatitis C virus compromising my immune system.  I think taking Harvoni temporarily compromised your immune system.  Anyway, I learned how to cure my vaginal infections.  I took one Diflucan tablet then started antibiotic treatment with Cefixime for 10 days and then on the 11th day, I took one more Diflucan tablet.  I also douched with a solution of betadine and distilled water - 1 part Betadine, 20 parts water.  Worked like a charm for me.
Infected in 1987 in China when MD administered acupuncture with reused needle
Diagnosed 2001
Genotype 1a w/ Q80K polymorphism
Attempted treatment with Interferon/Ribavirin 2003 and stopped immediately
2014 fibroscan no fibrosis
2014 abdominal ultrasound normal
Found gastroenterologist to advocate for me upon Harvoni approval by FDA
Began treatment w/ Harvoni December 2014
Undetected at four weeks
Completed 12 week treatment February 2015
Blood tests normal
ElizabethFaraone@yahoo.com

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:55:43 am »
Haven't had one since I was probably 20 so like over 30 years ago and only the one time
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.