Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:04:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: RA and hepititis C  (Read 11215 times)

Offline hkillinger99

RA and hepititis C
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:30:50 am »
Good morning friends,
 I have completed week 3 of 8 week treatment.  Something I was wondering about is once I am "cured", will my RA go away, improve, or go into remission? Do many of us with hep C also have RA? I tested positive for RA, which is subsequently how my PCP found the hep c.  Any thoughts or insights are always appreciated.  BTW, treatment is going well on the Harvoni, except for the occasional blinding headaches, but fluids seem to get rid of these.  Best wishes to us all  ;D

Offline grateful908

Re: RA and hepititis C
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:14:57 pm »
Hi. I to have been diagnosed with RA, I'm not sure it's connected to the Hep C. I don't have any symptoms of RA to speak of, except my toes get very tender sometimes. And I'm not even sure RA is the cause. My friend,56,female has RA and believe me, I don't have it compared to her. She's in bad shape. If you have RA, You'll know it. But like you, my blood tests came back indicating RA. And Lupus. But I have no symptoms of either. I'm a man, and everything I've researched said Lupus affects mainly women. ( And believe me, I've never been a woman) So, good question. I'm hoping the Hep C is just giving off some false positives. Have you done any type of research?? I'd be interested in hearing your conclusions and thoughts. Chris  aka  ( grateful908)

Offline jiff

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:28:11 pm »
I'm not sure what it is about hep c that causes RA positive test results but it happened to me...when I went to a rheumatologist he did his best to explain that my RA numbers were much too low to be actual RA & it was the hcv causing a positive test result...

Offline grateful908

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:54:39 pm »
I spoke with my Dr. today about this. HCV causes the same symptoms as RA, and gives off blood test markers. She also said that If or When my HCV is "cured", all symptoms of RA will dissipate. Which is a good thing. Here is an interesting read that I received from Lynn K, Global Moderator on this site, which goes in to what HCV can manifest in or as. Let me know what you think. Cheers !!

http://hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/Bonkovsky-2.html

Offline jiff

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:38:16 pm »
I had no idea there were that many extrahepatic complications possible ,though I'm not surprised...it leaves me wondering how many unknown others there are,there's got to be more!?!Hoping not to find out from experience!!!!thanks for sharing the link!!!!

Offline grateful908

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:26:07 am »
Hi All... Day 12, and I wish I did have RA. Because then I could take an RA medicine. For the last couple days, I've had RA pain. Started on mainly my left side of body, but now has invaded my right side. I can't bend my thumb, my entire right foot feels like it's swollen, but is only slightly, and my right knee, just above the kneecap looks like it is ready to bust. Very swollen, VERY SORE. I live on the 2nd floor, 14 steps, and it's all I can do to climb them. This morning, when I got out of bed, my legs & ankle were so unsteady I thought I would fall!!! Someone else somewhere in this forum said they're so sore when they wake up, they alarm 30 mins. early just to take Tylenol so they CAN get out of bed. That's what I'm gonna do tomorrow. I can get thru the day, I take 500 mg. Tylenol every 6 hours. I'm hurtin. :-[

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 02:25:35 am »
Sounds like you are having an exceptionally bad reaction, Chris! So sorry to hear that. What does your Dr. say about the severity of your symptoms and what you can do to lessen them? I think I recall reading here that one woman was actually allergic to Harvoni and had to stop :( I was just recently reading about all of the other ingredients in Harvoni - the fillers and binders and coatings. I wonder if you are having an allergic reaction to one of those things?

Here is the full list of ingredients in Harvoni: "Harvoni (90 mg ledipasvir/400 mg sofosbuvir) is presented as a fixed dose combination tablet. In addition to the two medicinal ingredients, the tablet also contains the following non-medicinal ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, copovidone, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate and microcrystalline cellulose. The tablets are film coated with a coating material containing polyvinyl alcohol, titanium dioxide, polyethylene glycol, talc, and FD and C Yellow #6/sunset yellow FCF aluminum lake."

Source: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/sbd-smd/drug-med/sbd_smd_2015_harvoni_173180-eng.php

I hope you find some relief, Chris!

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline chino1969

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 11:10:14 am »
What is RA?

Offline grateful908

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:33:33 am »
RA is short for Rheumatoid Arthritis. It's the bodies immune system attacking itself, which has some very painful, debilatating results. I went to my Dr. Monday on an emergency basis, and my hands were so swollen they were like softballs. I'm surprised my skin didn't give way. She gave me a prednisone injection, and a low dose prescription for 5 days, but enough for 10 days. She doesn't recommend Prednisone, but my condition is unique. I wonder what Gilead has to say because I'm not the only one who is getting these symptoms acutely. I'm 100% better than I was, but no where near where I want to be.
     On a more positive note, this is day 19. My 14 day blood test came back and EVERYTHING was in range, and no HCV antibodies !!!! So that is good news indeed. My ALT/ACT were both 21!!!! Compared to 49/79, that is excellent news. No matter the side effects, which are temporary at best, and manageable, this Harvoni drug is well worth it for me. I wish for all success in their Harvoni journey. Feel free to ask me questions, give me advice, criticism, praise, etc. We can get thru this journey. Knowledge WILL lead the way !!! Have a great day, week . Chris

Offline morning_glory

• This is the first day, of the rest of your life...
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 02:28:59 pm »
This suggestion may or may not help w/ RA...

I was experiencing achiness/discomfort throughout my body, mainly in my legs. A month or so ago, BubbaT had posted something about drinking fresh lemon water.

Quote from BubbaT - "I was also having a time with sore achy legs and joints about 4 weeks but I started juicing lemons in water and surprise the aches went away, the lemon water did wonders for me, u may try it to see if it helps, I took 2 lemons juiced them in water and repeated 3 times a day..."

I have tried this and it really does work! If I miss a day of my lemon water, the aches return. So now lemons are included on my grocery list  ;)
(I do not add any sugar or other sweeteners.)

Blessings,
MG
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:56:15 am by morning_glory »
Likely infected - mid 70's / Diagnosed - mid 90's
Geno type - 1a
AST - 45
ALT - 51
Viral Load - 435,120
Liver Biopsy 6/2004 - F1-2
Fibrosure 5/2011 - F1-2
Fibrosure 2/2014 - F-0
Treatment Naive, prior to Harvoni
Harvoni started on 5/16/15
8-week Treatment Completed (7/10/15)
4-week bloodwork (6/11/15) Undetected, AST 15, ALT 17
8-week bloodwork (7/13/15) Undetected, AST 14, ALT 16

Offline grateful908

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:21:33 am »
Hi Morning Glory..... Sounds like I'll be at the Farm Stand first thing in the morning !!!
   My hands are very much better. But, I'll do whatever I can to help prevent a recurrence. I wonder what it is about the lemon water? Vitamins, acidic, etc... Thanks for your help. Chris

Offline morning_glory

• This is the first day, of the rest of your life...
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 08:28:11 am »
Hi Morning Glory..... Sounds like I'll be at the Farm Stand first thing in the morning !!!
   My hands are very much better. But, I'll do whatever I can to help prevent a recurrence. I wonder what it is about the lemon water? Vitamins, acidic, etc... Thanks for your help. Chris

Chris,
When I did an internet search to explain the benefits of 'lemon water', I found many sites. (You may want to do the same.)

Here is are a few links to get you started: 

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/health-benefits-of-lemon-water.html

http://rootandsprouts.com/benefits-of-lemon-water-according-to-science/

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/cheers-to-drinking-warm-lemon-water

I hope this helps!  :)

Blessings,
MG
Likely infected - mid 70's / Diagnosed - mid 90's
Geno type - 1a
AST - 45
ALT - 51
Viral Load - 435,120
Liver Biopsy 6/2004 - F1-2
Fibrosure 5/2011 - F1-2
Fibrosure 2/2014 - F-0
Treatment Naive, prior to Harvoni
Harvoni started on 5/16/15
8-week Treatment Completed (7/10/15)
4-week bloodwork (6/11/15) Undetected, AST 15, ALT 17
8-week bloodwork (7/13/15) Undetected, AST 14, ALT 16

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.