Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:08:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 99
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When the virus is gone where does the harvoni go???  (Read 12168 times)

Offline Mr. Bob

When the virus is gone where does the harvoni go???
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:23:14 am »
My friend  who finished treatment last week asked me  " where the medicine went or  what it did when.. there is no longer a virus to work on?   Then I thought how good I felt  the first two weeks when the medicine had something to work on  and then gradually down hill from there when most of the virus was probably gone..  side effects  "mild to moderate"    Has anyone heard of any answers from their Doctors.....

RJ

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: When the virus is gone where does the harvoni go???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:52:06 pm »
Your body is metabolizing and eliminating Harvoni, regardless of the presence of virus.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline debbi

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 06:46:43 pm »
Hello, would you or anyone would know after 12 weeks of taking harvoni, approximately how long does it take for it to leave the body? Thanks                     

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:52:39 pm by debbi »

Offline debbi

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:07:33 pm »
Hi Bob, my questioning on the medicine is what I have been wondering myself, I 'm always mentioning to my family with a giggle, wish I had my medicine back, really I tolerated the beginning of a few effects of the med, but I also deal with mood swings and I am so darn sensitive to mostly all the brain type meds that deal with brain functions it isn't funny, so I just do the mind over matter which isn't easy at times, anyway, whatever, whatever they had in the harvoni,I had so much energy, and being happy a lot, I would takes a deep breath and just say , wow, I'm back to Debbie again, (many years had gone by) but, now that there is no more med, ugh, it's like why, Sure would like to have that ingredient they have put into it into another new drug for the mood swings, well anyhow didn't think this was going to be such a long note,, best to you.& thanks

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »
I tell people that after 10 days they can be fairly certain they have no Harvoni left in their bodies; up to 6 mos if they also took ribavirin, but that is typically gone in 60 days.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline tat2dvet

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 05:49:30 pm »
Could it have been a state of mind, Debbie?  I ask because when I finished chemotherapy for breast cancer 20 years ago, it was a huge deal.  I felt as if my lifeline had been cut.

On the other hand - I am so happy to see your post, because I just now got my first bottle of Harvoni in the mail and have to call my doc to see when he wants me to start.  I imagine the answer is now, but I have been dreading the side effects.  I am going on a motorcycle ride for 2 weeks and am afraid that I won't have the energy for it.  On the other hand, I do not want to seem ungrateful by putting the meds off for what would be six weeks. 

That being said - if I didn't have a positive test with a viral load of just over a million one would never know I was infected.  All other tests are normal/clear, so waiting shoudn't be a big deal...ugh.

Thanks for listening,

Em

Hi Bob, my questioning on the medicine is what I have been wondering myself, I 'm always mentioning to my family with a giggle, wish I had my medicine back, really I tolerated the beginning of a few effects of the med, but I also deal with mood swings and I am so darn sensitive to mostly all the brain type meds that deal with brain functions it isn't funny, so I just do the mind over matter which isn't easy at times, anyway, whatever, whatever they had in the harvoni,I had so much energy, and being happy a lot, I would takes a deep breath and just say , wow, I'm back to Debbie again, (many years had gone by) but, now that there is no more med, ugh, it's like why, Sure would like to have that ingredient they have put into it into another new drug for the mood swings, well anyhow didn't think this was going to be such a long note,, best to you.& thanks

Offline Barto425

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 09:32:06 am »
Hi....I saw your post about reducing the dose of Harvoni. Wow, you're the first person I've ever heard of that did that.....but I'm sure it's been done. I was reading about the post where does the Harvoni go....  I'm not positive but I think it's like antibiotics....you take the whole prescription even though you are better...or you could relapse. Maybe it's like that with Harvoni. Good luck.

Offline nolacs22

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »
I tell people that after 10 days they can be fairly certain they have no Harvoni left in their bodies; up to 6 mos if they also took ribavirin, but that is typically gone in 60 days.

Yes, and I read that ledipasvir goes in on out of the body without metabolizing it (goes in and out unchanged)  :-*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:23:14 pm by nolacs22 »

Offline nolacs22

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »

Yes, and I read that ledipasvir goes in on out without metabolizing it (goes in and out unchanged)  :-*

Offline grateful908

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 12:53:33 am »
tat2dvet: Do not dread your side effects. I'm fairly positive that most people DON'T have side effects. Out of all the people taking Harvoni, there are only a couple thousand people on this site complaining of side effects. Most of the sides can be dealt with common sense. Ibuprofen if needed ( No more than 1500mg. per day ) I squeeze 2 lemons a day and drink it with 20 0z. of water. If I can't sleep, I take a 25mg. tab of diphenhydramine from ShopRite. I do feel a little more groggy than usual in the morning, a mug of coffee and a shower and I'm normal. 
   Don't let the THOUGHTS of side effects create them where none exists. It's the power of your mind and a positive attitude ( and of course common sense ) that dictates a lot of what we feel every day. Good Luck to you. You're not alone.   

Offline Mr. Bob

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 02:38:21 am »
I think I will tell my friend who had to go to the ER that it was all in his mind. ha ha  wake up!

Offline Mr. Bob

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 02:43:09 am »
hope you are doing well grateful908 I read a lot of your posts and you seem to be complaining about  lots of side effects, joint pain and swelling up all over...... hope you get better.....

Offline grateful908

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 02:57:28 am »
Hi Mr. Bob.... ALL of my side effects were joint related.. A hepatic effect of the HCV. Once that worked it's way out of my system, I'm done with them. I stopped taking Omeprazole a day or two before starting Harvoni. That created some stomach problems-temporarily. They say there are over 190,000 people taking Harvoni, and only 3-5% are reporting major side effects. But if you go to a forum that focuses on side effects- then you're psychologically going to think EVERYONE has side effects. It's human nature. If you went to a forum where nobody had any side effects-you'll be led to thinking no one gets side effects. All I was trying to convey was to keep positive. Not everyone gets any of these effects. Headaches and nausea are the two main culprits and both can be dealt with accordingly. We don't have to live in bed with covers over our heads for 3 months, we can continue our lives by taking common sense approaches. I just wanted to help someone understand that. I appreciate your reply. Thank You and have a great week.

Offline Mr. Bob

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 03:06:48 am »
We like to joke around , my friends and me  we say  " what happens when you take some Ex-Lax  and think positive "      he he

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.