Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:55:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Muscle and joint pain  (Read 15112 times)

Offline Sharpejimbo

Muscle and joint pain
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:11 pm »
On July 29 I started a 24 week program I have already experienced side effects that I haven't read about until I came to this site I had to get crutches today just so I can walk the muscle and joint pain prevents it. Does anyone know if the side effects get any worse or if your body gets accustomed to it.
Jim

Offline sickpuppy

Re: Muscle and joint pain
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:29:11 pm »
What treatment are you on?
GT1a - TX-naive

Baseline:

16.2 kPa
ALT: 61 iu/L
ALP: 74 iu/L
Albumin: 38g/L
Bilirubin: 27 umol/L
Platelets: 80
VL: 792,000
History of 4 violent varices bleeding episodes and splenomegaly present.

21/07/15 - TX start - Harvoni + Ribavirin 12 weeks.
Week 2 - UND
Week 4 - UND
Week 8 - UND
13/10/15 Week 12 - UND
19/11/15 - SVR4
8/1/16 - SVR12 !!!!!

Offline Sharpejimbo

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:44:44 pm »
24 weeks of Harvoni
Jim

Offline sickpuppy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:13 pm »
Well, I must say, to have so much pain to need crutches in a mere 4-5 days from Harvoni is quite uncommon.

Muscle and joint pain is indeed a side effect people on Harvoni often report here on the forum. However, it usually takes a while for the pain to build up and it usually remains at the same level: annoying, but able to live with for a while.

I suggest you tell your doctor immediately - but do push him to check for something else - rather than blame it directly on Harvoni, and discontinuing it.

Remember, you develop a resistance to Harvoni (to the ledipasvir component to be exact) so if you discontinue it, you're not getting a second shot at it.

Interruption of treatment is also, not advisable, since you develop resistance in that time and the rest of the treatment is less effective.

My advice: Ask your doctor to test for anything else that might cause it, and unless he's absolutely 100% sure it's the Harvoni, to leave it be.

You really don't want to discontinue Harvoni, and there were no deaths associated with it so far, but if you are indeed having a unique, aggressive reaction to it and there's nothing you can do against it, then Harvoni interruption might be the only option.

I really do hope this is not the case. A lot of us are having side effects, but we clutch our teeth and power through it and hope for the best. However, we all make sure they aren't serious or life-threatening.
GT1a - TX-naive

Baseline:

16.2 kPa

Week 2 - UND
Week 4 - UND
Week 8 - UND
13/10/15 Week 12 - UND
19/11/15 - SVR4
8/1/16 - SVR12 !!!!!

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:51:42 pm »
>>A lot of us are having side effects, but we clutch our teeth and power through it and hope for the best. <<

Just to keep things in perspective, I dont know that Id say 'A Lot' of people are having side effects from harvoni.   The data is that the vast minority are having side effects.. Im not diminishing the fact that to those who have them, they seem serious.  But we dont want to alarm people away from treatment from overstating their existence either.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline sickpuppy

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 02:59:01 pm »
dragonslayer is right. A lot is a bad choice of words. SOME people, do have them. I've been on Harvoni + Ribavirin and I haven't had any side-effects whatsoever. I might have possibly had some, but I would rather attribute them to Ribavirin, plus they were rather returning ones that I've had in the past with no TX whatsoever such as a slight yellowing of the eyes, a mucus stool, and some muscle cramps.
GT1a - TX-naive

Baseline:

16.2 kPa

Week 2 - UND
Week 4 - UND
Week 8 - UND
13/10/15 Week 12 - UND
19/11/15 - SVR4
8/1/16 - SVR12 !!!!!

Offline Sharpejimbo

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 04:41:45 pm »
No one should be scared of taking any treatment that will potentially save their life I went on interferon and ribavirin and they tried to kill me I was hospitalized for three months I had body wide  infections and all my skin fell off this is nothing in comparison and if I have to hobble around on crutches and have a sore joints and sore feet I can live with that my question was has anybody experienced what I'm going through this early in treatment I'm on a 24 week program and like anyone else would do they would power through it
Jim

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:10 pm »
Hi Jim. Sorry to hear about the problems you're having - and so early into treatment.

I don't know the answer to your question about whether others on Harvoni have experienced side effects like this so early into treatment. But here are a couple of other threads where these things have been discussed:

http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=2308.0

http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=2796.0

Good luck with it!

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Mike

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:26:56 pm »
Hi Jim,

I would talk to your doctor about the joint and muscle pain. If it is to the degree that, in 4 days,  you need crutches to ambulate, you should have it checked out.

You should be able to work and have quality of life when taking Harvoni and it should not hobble you.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Sharpejimbo

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:36:43 pm »
 Thanks for your input Mike you were cured using interferon and it almost killed me I must be a freak of nature because I got side effects They don't even know about Ive got to go back and see my hepatologist next week and will be talking about it thanks again
Jim

Offline Mike

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:00:41 pm »
Hi Jim,

The Sovaldi cured me (knocked the virus out in a week). The Interferon and Ribavirin were just sidekicks.

I will say, however, it was no joyride - but much better than the 48 week course I did in 2001. That about killed me.

Please hang in there - but make sure to discuss these side effects with your doctor.

Best, best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 10:05:03 pm »
Hi Jim,

Just wishing you the best with this treatment!
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline Kim

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 10:26:53 pm »
I finished treatment 4 months ago and my joint and muscle pain is still very debilitating. It hurts to walk and I have to take narcotics almost daily to function. I would have waited for another treatment to be developed had I known this would happen. How long will this last?  Who knows...the doctors sure don't.

Offline Sharpejimbo

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 02:40:30 am »
 Week one is come to a conclusion I'm taking anti-inflammatories by the time I still have swollen feet most of the muscle pain is going away but I'm still having difficulty walking I think the Harvoni  has some our aggravated gout  that I experience from time to time. However this is going on for a week so I have to believe that it's harvoni related .
Jim

Offline marybarter

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 12:27:24 pm »
I have been on Harvoni now for five months. Joint and muscle pain were constant until about 2 weeks ago and now it has let up.  I have 28 days to go and was virus-free after 10 days of Harvoni.  It was worth all the pain and insommnia.

Offline Kim

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »
A 6 month course of Harvoni?  I thought 8 or 12 weeks was the normal treatment time.

Offline marybarter

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 01:47:36 pm »
24 weeks of Harvoni is recommended for those who have had interferon and ribaviron.  My firbrosure score was F4 and 24 weeks is the standard for those with my score and relapses after other treatments.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 02:22:23 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Mary, and good luck! Great that you are closing in on the finish line, that you are virus-free, and that your joint & muscle pain has finally lifted!

best,
kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 11:01:02 pm »
Hi Mary, sorry to hear about the joint and muscle pain.  I had horrific joint and muscle pain for years.  Dont know if it was because of the hep c or that I am just getting old or because of my job. I suppose it could be a combination of all 3 really. It is difficult when my doctor asks me questions like do your joints hurt? well, yea, they do, but it could be because of many reasons.  I wish I knew what was the underlying problem.  Last visit when they asked me, I pulled out my cell phone and said "I walked 27,334 steps at work" I am very tired but it could be that or it could be that I have had hep c for 30 years....dunno.....lol I will say that since I have started taking Harvoni my joint pain seems to be a lot better and the only real side effect I am having is my eyes.  They dont hurt, they just feel kind of queezy. 
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline marybarter

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 11:53:10 am »
As I stated in my post, I had pain in my muscles and joints the first 18 weeks or so of Harvoni.  This was unlike any kind of pain from work-out sessions, a change in lifestyle, etc.  My doctors explained that it was important to refrain from exerting myself as I usually do throughout my daily life.  I cut back on workouts and basically did exactly as they instructed.  I listened to them and therefore didn't "fight against the drug doing it's work". At this time, I'm experiencing little pain and have no complaints.  I feel strongly that if someone is experiencing new symptoms when they start Harvoni, it's important that their doctors listen and give suggestions.  Support from the doctors and care providers plays a huge factor in a patient's well-being while on this drug.  I have been virus-free since day 10 on Harvoni and will take my last pill on September 3 after 24 weeks on Harvoni.  I believe I am cured and virus-free for the first time since 1983. It will take me some time to truly digest this after all of these years but it's a very good feeling.  I give full credit to my doctor for getting approval from my insurance to start my cure and for helping me through the last five months. For those who are starting this drug, please seek support from health care providers and advocates. 

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.