Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:21:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Relapsing after Harvoni  (Read 11445 times)

Offline katmakiah

Relapsing after Harvoni
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:17:32 am »
Hi.

I finished 12 weeks of Harvoni In May, detected<15 at 4 weeks, undetected at 12 weeks, EOT. I was so happy! Then 12 weeks labs in August shows a viral load of 1.53 million. Symptoms are coming back.

So I called Support Path, and asked about time frame for retreating and they said to ask the doctor. I asked if there was someone at Gilead I could talk to. She said, yes, and put me through to Gilead Medical Information. Nice lady. I told her my theory about virus trapped in scar tissue getting loose as my liver got better, and she said, it made sense, but she couldn't say that was the case, for sure. Then she said, there is no time frame for getting retreated. She said someone from Gilead would contact me per my relapse, for more information.
The number to call is 800-445-3235, when the options start press 2. When the next options start, press 6.

I am genotype 1A, previously treated, with possible cirrhosis, diagnosed F4 Feb 2011. We spoke for about 20 minutes. I told her I had relapsed and my theory was this. I cleared the virus at 4 weeks, was still clear at 12 weeks. But when my liver began to heal, some virus that was caught in or behind scar tissue got back in action. She said, that made a lot of sense, and also said there is no protocol time wise for retreatment, no waiting period necessary.

I'm looking for others who have relapsed since EOT, especially those in the trials.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:40:40 pm by katmakiah »
Genotype 1a
Contracted 1972 or 1979
Diagnosed Halloween 2006
Refused Interferon/Riba and used alternative methods to restore health, took 18 months
2/2011 F4 Advance bridging fibrosis, poss early cirrhosis from biopsy for Trial Study of Chinese Herbs Fuzheng Huayu. Did not qualify.
2/2015-5/2015 12 week Harvoni, clear at 4 and 12 weeks
5/15/15 EOT not detected, ALT 63, AST 40
8/11/15 12 week post HCV RNA by PCR 1.53 million
ALT 160, AST 120

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Relapsing after Harvoni
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »
Hi katmakiah. I am so sorry to hear that Harvoni did not cure you. Were you undetected at any stage during treatment or at End of Treatment? Or was your only viral load test at 12 weeks post-tx?

Your theory about virus being trapped in liver scar tissue is interesting and something I had not thought of. Another possibility I keep reading about is that lymphatic tissue can act as reservoirs for HCV (since the Hep C virus is lymphotropic as well as hepatotropic). And that these reservoirs can be the cause of some cases of relapse or apparent resistance to treatment.

One article is here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3848137/

Another here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11819700

And then there is the issue of some people carrying a genetic mutation making them resistant to certain treatments. I believe some HCV patients are actually getting this genetic testing done to determine whether a certain treatment is likely to be effective for them.

I am also wondering, since you are F4/cirrhosis and previously treated without success, perhaps 12 weeks of Harvoni alone was simply not enough. I believe in that scenario the recommendation is 12 weeks of Harvoni+ribavirin or 24 weeks of Harvoni alone. But others here may correct me.

Fortunately there are a lot of drugs in the pipeline now. You will have another chance at something! Do keep us posted on your situation.

Kim
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:48:52 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline katmakiah

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:44:37 pm »
Thanks Kim, yes, I was undetected when I finished treatment. So it coming back was a real blow.

4 weeks labs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jsi1vTb3iE

12 final test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi3fUmJO-1w

Genotype 1a
Contracted 1972 or 1979
Diagnosed Halloween 2006
Refused Interferon/Riba and used alternative methods to restore health, took 18 months
2/2011 F4 Advance bridging fibrosis, poss early cirrhosis from biopsy for Trial Study of Chinese Herbs Fuzheng Huayu. Did not qualify.
ALT 160, AST 120

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:16:50 pm »
>> I believe in that scenario the recommendation is 12 weeks of Harvoni+ribavirin or 24 weeks of Harvoni alone. But others here may correct me.<<

Yes, Kim, you are right...  Gilead guidelines, Im pretty sure, say for treatment experienced with cirrhosis, 24 wks should be given.

Kat, that 12 wk post treatment youtube was brutal, especially following on the heels of the 4 wk on-treatment one which was so positive.   Its a real heartbreaker  for sure.  But as many people here who have failed prior treatment will attest, you WILL be retreated and cured..  Just hang in there...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:01:40 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline katmakiah

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:21:40 pm »
Thanks, DragonSlayer. Since I posted I have read that the relapse "new" viral strain may be resistant to Harvoni. I guess I would need to find that out first. And I'm thinking there are new drugs in the pipeline.

The guidelines for cirrhosis are 12 weeks for treatment naive and 24 weeks for relapsed from interferon/Ribavirin.

The good news is, right after I made that 2nd video, the strangest thing happened. All the anxiety, the battle, the stress, the fear, they all melted away and I was left with a feeling of peace, calm and assurance that all is well in my world, and that this happened for a reason.

Since I was diagnosed I have tried to stay healthy with alternative treatments and while they did reverse extra-hepatic symptoms, they could not destroy the virus. So I'm back doing what I do best: Eat right, and stay healthy with exercise. But it's better now that I no longer feel scared of relapsing. Been there, done that....next!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:12:36 pm by katmakiah »
Genotype 1a
Contracted 1972 or 1979
Diagnosed Halloween 2006
ALT 160, AST 120

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:57:33 pm »
Hi Kat
So sad to see you have relapsed I had the same experience last year when I relapsed after 12 weeks of Sovaldi/Olysio I was so hopeful and then I was crushed.

I was just checking the current AASLD recommendations for your situation they have a recent update about half way down highlighted in yellow.

http://www.hcvguidelines.org/full-report/retreatment-persons-whom-prior-therapy-has-failed

"For patients with cirrhosis or other patients who require retreatment urgently, testing for resistance-associated variants that confer decreased susceptibility to NS3 protease inhibitors and to NS5A inhibitors is recommended. The specific drugs used in the retreatment regimen should be tailored to the results of this testing as described below.

Treatment duration of 24 weeks is recommended and, unless contraindicated, weight-based RBV should be added."

"For patients with cirrhosis or other patients who require retreatment urgently, testing for RAVs that confer decreased susceptibility to NS3 protease inhibitors (eg, Q80K) and to NS5A inhibitors should be performed using commercially available assays prior to selecting the next HCV treatment regimen. For patients with no NS5A inhibitor RAVs detected, retreatment with ledipasvir/sofosbuvir and RBV for 24 weeks is recommended. For patients who have NS5A inhibitor RAVs detected and who do not have NS3 inhibitor RAVs detected, treatment with simeprevir, sofosbuvir, and RBV for 24 weeks is recommended. For patients who have both NS3 and NS5A inhibitor RAVs detected, retreatment should be conducted in a clinical trial setting, as an appropriate treatment regimen cannot be recommended at this time."

For me I believed had I treated longer I probably would not have relapsed last year and I believe the same for you.

My doctor initially only prescribed Harvoni so I started on a 24 week treatment but after I read some stuff I asked my doctor about adding ribavirin. Not that I really was looking forward to treating with ribavirin but felt for my best shot at cure I should. My doctor agreed and said we probably should have just started with both meds so I took ribavirin for 15 of the 24 weeks and am now SVR 12.

The problem is the ledipasvir is in the same class of drugs as some of the components of Viekira Pak so that won't work for you.

Hang in there something will come soon to help

Hugs to you
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline katmakiah

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 01:27:59 pm »
Thanks Lynn, that http://www.hcvguidelines.org/ site is the BEST!

It actually covers those who relapse from the new drugs, Harvoni and Viekira.
Genotype 1a
Contracted 1972 or 1979
Diagnosed Halloween 2006
ALT 160, AST 120

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.