Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:59:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: TURN A PICTURE ON YOUR COMPUTER INTO YOUR AVATAR  (Read 18137 times)

Offline gnatcatcher

TURN A PICTURE ON YOUR COMPUTER INTO YOUR AVATAR
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:32:42 pm »
The avatar is the little picture that appears below your name whenever you post to these forums. If no picture appears now, that is because you haven't chosen one. These forums supply some ready-made avatars from which you can select one. But you might prefer to have a "custom avatar."

If you want to turn a favorite photo or graphic into your avatar, here is how:
1. Make a version of your picture that is no larger than 120 pixels wide by 120 pixels high. If you don't own software that can do this, you can let TinyPic do it during step 6.
2. In your browser, go to tinypic.com and look for the orange Upload Images & Videos section heading.
3. Next to the word File: click on the Choose File button. Use the customary navigation techniques on your computer to show TinyPic where your picture is located. The picture's filename will now appear to the right of the Choose File button.
4. You can leave the Tags: field blank. TinyPic makes your picture available to others (that's the price of using the free program), so not entering any tags makes it harder for others to know your picture is stored on TinyPic.
5. File Type: should have a black dot inside the Image circle. If not, click that circle to move the black dot there.
6. If you have already resized your picture to 120x120 pixels or smaller, leave Resize: at Default. Otherwise, put your mouse pointer on the up/down arrows and slide down, releasing your mouse when Avatar (100x75) is selected (has a dark blue background). TinyPic will now make a version of your picture that is small enough to become your hep forums avatar. It will be rectangular, not square (TinyPic does not give you a choice of shape).
7. Click the green UPLOAD NOW! button. TinyPic will make you type something to prove that you are a human being rather than a machine, then it will present you with four versions of computerese gobbledygook. You don't want the one with the word URL in it. You want the gobbledygook in the fourth box -- the one that follows the words Direct Link for Layouts:. Use your mouse to copy the gobbledygook in that box -- it is the magic URL you are going to need. (You may want to paste it into a file in case you need it again in the future.)
8. Now go to the hep forums. On the heading that says Home  Forum  Help  Search  Profile  My Messages  Members  Logout click the word Profile. On the bottom line of the Welcome section put your mouse pointer on Modify Profile and slide down and click Forum Profile.
9. Under Personalized Picture are three circles. Click the one next to the words Specify avatar by URL. A white box will appear on the right. Paste the gobbledygook TinyPic gave you into that box. Then scroll down and click on the bottommost Change profile button.

You're done! Your chosen picture will now be your avatar appearing below your name on all your previous and future posts.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
Re: TURN A PICTURE ON YOUR COMPUTER INTO YOUR AVATAR
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:22:44 pm »
I figured out why a small pic of the right size from google sources does not work. Many forum software configurations expect the link to end with the file type request. And because google no longer creates a link that ends in .jpg or .png or .ico the file link is instantly rejected by the forum software. I will try tiny url it most likely works simply because it follows the old standard of ending a link with the content type suffex. I guess the changes that they made to the way google photos serves up images have messed up many people who have used it in the past successfully the way I did.

Thanks gnatcatcher for the info that tiny url still hosts small jpeg content for non registered users, I remember them from a long time ago but have not used the service in years for posting links to remote content! I hope it is not region specific like many other free hosting services have become.

Eric
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:33:07 pm »
Eric, the free software I used is called TinyPic, not tiny url. I haven't looked for or tried the latter.

I think you may be right about these hep forums requiring the file format suffix.

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:28:45 pm »
Eric, the free software I used is called TinyPic, not tiny url. I haven't looked for or tried the latter.

I think you may be right about these hep forums requiring the file format suffix.

Gnatty
Thanks got it. TinyUrl is useful for legitimate domain redirect links though, good to see there is no domain blocking going on like some of the sites that offer web content services.

I can't say as I blame the admins here though for trying to block injection attacks through offsite content though. I have seen one hack in the past that messed up a fishing forum I have used in the past so I guess that is what they are trying to prevent.

Turns out the hack was really coming through old spoofed links to old hotmail bounced content links that hacked the vBulletin software. This site uses better software security than that though, so I doubt that they will see the ugly redirect hack happen that happened to many of the vBulletin sites!
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:10:19 am »
Thank you sooooo much Gnatty for sharing these instructions. I doubt I would have gotten my new profile pic uploaded without it. I love this forum! :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 04:59:30 am »
Nice to see you, Kim, and to learn, via your link, of your rich, creative life off these forums. Haibun, eh? I love your phrase "a brain wrapped in cotton candy" and think your blog post is a well-written invitation for people to make their own journeys out of Heplandia (to borrow Tommy's word). Best of luck with the book distribution.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:35:59 pm »
Thanks Gnatty - I lost my avatar when HEP's new site went live, and I forgot how to do it. This was helpful, and I let my ego choose a photo that showed I am much more ego-driven than I care to admit. (Actually, I thought I'd be able to find my messages more easily so I could recall what I said)
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 01:39:46 pm »
Nice Avatar, Lucinda! :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:29 pm »
Yes, Lucinda, your new avatar is nice, but I've got to admit that your previous avatar gave me the feeling that you could wave your magic wand and make everything all better :)
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline pansy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 05:08:13 pm »
Thank you, Gnatty, for the avatar info!

:)

pansy
Diagnosed 2002, geno: 1a.
Treatment naive.
Started Harvoni 3-3-2016
ALT: 78 AST:60 VL  = 6.3
3-17- 2016 (2 wks Harvoni)
ALT: 16  AST: 21 VL = 2.2
3-28-2016  (4 wks Harvoni)
ALT: 17  AST: 21 VL = Undetected
4-14-2016 (6wks Harvoni)
ALT:17 AST:22 VL = Undetected
4-25-2016 (8 Wks Harvoni)
ALT=18 AST= 21 VL=Undetected
5-9-2016 (10 Wks Harvoni)
ALT=16 AST=25 VL=Undetected
Finished Meds 5-25-2016
5-30-2016 (12 wks Harvoni)
ALT=18 AST=24 VL=Undetected
6-27-2016  (4Wks EOT)
ALT=19 AST=24 VL=Undetected

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:25 pm »
I'm glad it's proving useful. Pansy, your avatar is lovely.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.