Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:44:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 85
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: newly diagnosed F4.  (Read 10103 times)

Offline metricscaler

• diagnosed 6/6/15
newly diagnosed F4.
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:34:22 pm »
Well I was diagnosed a couple months ago with hrp c g3 and on Friday my internist told me the results of my fibro scan said I was a F4. Pretty devastating news   he said I'll be approved for treatment but first I have to have my esophagus checked for varicose veins or something? My spleen is moderately enlarged and my platelets are 25. Six months of treatment and he said if I works I might go back to a F3 , if not its a transplant list . scared and worried :/
Live each day to the fullest.

Offline slats1056

• SVR to all and to all a good life!
Re: newly diagnosed F4.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:59:04 pm »
 Welcome Metric, Keep the faith. The Meds. are getting better & better. I'm G1B and just finished Tx, on Harvoni! One week after EOT Lab results Today came back undetected. Did the Dr. mention treatment options? There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forums.  Read up, Get treatment , ask questions and relax! Keep Your chin up and don't give up hope. Tons of help , info. , and support here! Use it to Your advantage. When You get settled in, go to Your profile and put in as much info. as You have. Just look at everyones signature at the bottom of each post to get an idea.
73 non ab 98 hep c refused pegint/riba
6-15 Gen.1b 1/2 MIL ALT72 AST37 No cirrhosis
7-15  Harvoni 12 weeks
10-14-15 EOT VIRAL LOAD NON-DET  
12-30-15 EOT+12 VIRAL LOAD NON DET  SVR12            8-9-18 HCV LOAD 1.02IU/ml AST22  ALT30 RELAPSE?
9-18-18 confirmed gt 1b relapse
10-16-18 approved 16 weeks Mavyret

Offline beto

• "no risk it, no biscuit"
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:46:51 pm »
Metricscaler

I got the F4 diagnosis back in June of this year though I have lived with the virus (G1A) for over 40 years.  Yes very difficult to swallow.  However, I began researching and have posted elsewhere on this forum about it.  Many studies have been published that show a positive (potential) reversal trend of cirrhosis when the burden that caused it is removed.  Now this is not always the case, but far more often than most people would expect.  Your doc seems hip to this idea...a good thing.

There have been individual reports also, from some of the posters on this forum (and other forums) that have shown reversal after cure.  One case was significant.  Though these reports must be taken with more than a grain of salt...indeed there are enough studies to give us hope.  Yes, the reliability and consistency of the scans or, biopsies are always in question.

There is always a way.  Get the meds...get cured...take care of your liver...and believe.  Peace and good luck my friend.
HCV/nonA,nonB acute phase 1975
HCV detected active 1990
HCV persistent chronic diagnosis 1995
1995 liver enzymes mild elevations
1996 Biopsy F2 fibrosis
treatment naive geno 1-A
2000-to early 2015 Viral load 150, 000 to 800, 000
recent liver enzymes before treatment alt/ast 59to209,  Fibroscan F4,cirrhosis
start tx Harvoni 7/11/2015
6.5 week-UD-ast/alt 25/25
9wk-UD-ast18 alt23
10/3/15 completed tx
11/5/15 new fibroscan f0-f1 amazed
6wk EOT UD ast/alt 20/20
12EOT-UD-ast/alt19/21
25wk-SVR! 19/18

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 12:00:20 am »
Hi Metrics and welcome

I was diagnosed F4 with a liver biopsy back in January 2008. I had to have an upper endoscopy also to check for what are called "esophageal varicies" which can be described as being like varicose veins in your esophagus.

This can happen because blood doesn't flow as well as it should through the liver because of the scaring of cirrhosis causing a back pressure in the system called portal hypertension or high blood pressure in the portal vein the primary vein which passes through the liver. This portal hypertension can cause the varicies to form it also causes your low platelet count and it can cause your spleen enlargement.

I was checked the first time for varicies and I was ok then. I was checked again 2 years later and they had enlarged to the point they could maybe bleed so I had several upper endoscopies over the next months to band the blood vessels to prevent that from happening.

I also have low platelets at around 80 to 90 minimum normal is 150. And an enlarged spleen.

I have read that once we acheive cure that our livers at a minimum won't get any worse and may improve with time. If you cure hep c you likely will not need a transplant ulness you develop HCC (heptocellular carcinoma aka liver cancer) we are at increased risk of HCC but that risk also will decrease with cure.

The important thing for you to do is be kind to your liver by not drinking ever again if you do drink also quitting smoking would be a good idea if you smoke and eat a liver friendly diet which is basically the same as a heart smart diet. But your hepatolgist will tell you all about how to best care for your liver.

Good luck on treatment
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline metricscaler

• diagnosed 6/6/15
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 01:14:15 am »
Hey Lynn,
Thanks for sharing your experience congratulations on your continued improvement . Looks like I will be starting treatment soon , can't wait I'm eager to start so I can rid myself if this nasty virus . I'll keep posting here as thing progress. This forum has been really great at making me not feel alone , it means a lot when your worried about health. Thanks to everyone for posting and listening.

Offline StillChoppin

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 05:15:47 pm »
Hey metrics Calera, are you still on the forum?
I see your post was last year?
I just would like to see how your doing, I'm in a similar situation.
hope all is well...

Offline metricscaler

• diagnosed 6/6/15
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:58:40 pm »
Hi yes I am as a matter if fact I just didn't really have much to post. Waiting for test  ECT . Good nee thought I just started treatment on Monday for my help c , I'm taking epclusa and ribavirin for 12 weeks do I'm pretty excited about that . My liver seems to be holding its own I'm still compensated so that's good. You said your I'm the same boat? How are you feeling? Have you had treatment?

Offline bluebird

• Life is beautiful! No matter what...
    • https://goo.gl/images/HVZk8m
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 06:55:36 pm »
Hi metricscaler! Welcome to the club! I was diagnosed a month ago with hep c genotype 3 and F4 stage. I started Epclusa last week, and my goal is to get rid of the virus first. It may help my liver to get off stress. F4 is a compensated cirrhosis, so we have  chance if not fully recover from it, but slow down the process of getting worse. Don't be scared, you will get a great support here from everyone along with valuable advice. We are all in the same boat! 
August 2016 before Oct 14/ 4 weeks/  8weeks/ 12week
Genotype 3a.
Viral load 8 million.                <15            N/A    notdet
Comp. cirrhosis
AST        261                          90              70         50
ALT        373                         220             138        89
HCV detected                 <15 detected      NOT DETECT

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 11:32:42 pm »
I believe F4 is just cirrhosis then from there you are either compensated cirrhosis or decompensated cirrhosis. And my understanding is with cure we will not get worse we will either stay about the same or possibly improve.

So as long as we are functioning adequately well with the amount of liver we have remaining (so basically are compensated) our only concern once we are cured is liver cancer as we are at increased risk but even that risk decreases once we are cured of hep c. But otherwise with care we should be able to live a normal life span.

Best to all
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.