Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:21:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 102
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Surgery on Friday  (Read 10235 times)

Offline Pete

Surgery on Friday
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:26:06 pm »
Hi everyone - I'm going in Friday for laproscopic liver resection to address the lesion on the upper left lobe.  I sure hope this works as advertised... 

The hepatologist wants to wait and see how the surgery goes before starting any new treatment to go after the virus.  I did not argue the point. 

I plan to chime back in next week with an update. 

Regards,
Pete

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Surgery on Friday
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 12:09:14 am »
Good luck on Friday Pete! Hope this works for you :)

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Pete

Re: Surgery on Friday (Update)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:46:45 am »
Well that was pretty much an event I'd have much preferred to skip.  Following a couple of miserable days in recovery, I came home yesterday (Monday).  The toughest part for me was pain management / breathing control.  I've still got some work ahead of me over the next few days, but at least I can now see myself returning to work hopefully in about a week.

My family was told, during the post op conversation with the surgeon, that the 4 cm lesion was in fact cancerous. The surgeon stated that the entire mass was successfully removed via resection. The smaller lesion (appx 8 mm) was not cancerous, and was successfully treated (killed) via RF ablation.   

The liver biopsy conducted at time of surgery concluded cirrhosis.  So the recent Stage 2 Fibroscan score was not accurate (as I suspected).  I have a follow up appt with the surgeon and the hepatologist next week to see where things stand at this point. 

That's about it for now, Pete.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:26:03 pm »
That's good news about the cancerous lesion being successfully removed, Pete. :)

Interesting that the fibroscan was so far off in that it rated cirrhosis just F2. That is worrisome for many of us who received lowish Fibroscan scores.

kim
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:34:00 pm »
Thanks for checking in Pete. The reality sure was different than the fibroscan results. Keep us posted and hope you recover quickly.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Pete

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:27:38 pm »
About 2 weeks post liver surgery thought I'd check in.  Still a bit sore but improving.  Saw the doctors this past Wednesday, scheduled a CT scan in about 2 weeks to have a look inside.  I requested MRI, but the surgeon indicated he needs a CT scan on the first post op analysis.  After that, MRI in 3 months and then 6 mos intervals.  I'm apparently one of those <15% of people that don't indicate elevated AFP levels in the blood.  So that is unfortunate from a cancer monitoring perspective.

I feel I've dodged a bullet temporarily, finding and removing the cancer, but need to kill the virus ASAP. My hepatologist mentioned that chances of HCC reoccurring drops by 50-70% if you can clear the virus, even with cirrhosis. 

I've been approved for the Viekira Pak / Riba for 12 weeks.  We discussed the risks, and she stated my liver function is still really good (Child-Pugh A).  My RAV testing indicated this is the best current option for me.  She promised I'll be monitored closely.

I am in agreement, and going for it.  Not alot of choice at this point.  Haven't received the meds yet, perhaps within 2 weeks.  Bottoms up...

Happy Easter,

Pete

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 05:33:44 pm »
Glad to hear you will be starting treatment soon, Pete! :)

kim

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 01:11:27 pm »
You sound steady and determined. We are here to help you reach your goals and you can do this!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.