Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 90
Total: 90

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In need of help-possible hepatitis  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Al420

In need of help-possible hepatitis
« on: May 26, 2016, 09:05:44 pm »
Hi, I went to the ER for high heart rate. Just had a physical a week earlier and blood work was fine. I was then referred to be seen right away by a new dr who told me my blood work showed low rbc, low calcium, ast of 8, alt of 19, INR of 1.08. She said based on that I may possibly have hepatitis. Does anyone see numbers that may indicate that? My symptoms are no appetite, exhausted, high heart rate, and low blood pressure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: In need of help-possible hepatitis
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:21:36 pm »
Hi Al420. Hepatitis is not the first thing that comes to mind for me with those symptoms and lab results. But Hepatitis (all 3 Hepatitises  - A, B, C) is very easy to test for and confirm or rule out. Just a simple blood test. So I would suggest getting that done, and then you will know.

Good luck,
kim :)
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Al420

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:28:33 pm »
Thank you so much for your response. What would it appear to be to you?

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:36:30 pm »
Thank you so much for your response. What would it appear to be to you?

I am not a doctor or any sort of a medical person, so I had better not venture a guess. But symptoms I might associate with hepatitis would include high AST and ALT. Most people here would kill for numbers as low as yours. (Although low AST/ALT does not disprove hepatitis.) I also don't think of high heart rate and low blood pressure as being typical hepatitis symptoms.

Still, it is very easy and painless to check for all 3 of the viral hepatitises. And I would hope your doctor might check you for some other things at that time too.

I have been struggling with a very complicated medical situation post-treatment (although I seemed fine going into treatment). And I have just been tested for a whole boatload of possible viruses, from parvo to cytomegalo virus to epstein barr virus and much more. Like you, I have low RBC, low blood pressure and high heart rate (resting rate of about 100!). In my case I have iron-deficient anemia that I have not been able to resolve for 10 months. And that is the cause of the 3 symptoms I just mentioned (although I also have many other symptoms and issues post-treatment, not just anemia). So I hope your doctor will check your iron levels - serum ferritin in particular, but there are other iron tests as well.

best,
kim
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:38:36 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 12:12:10 am »
Not sure what your doctor is thinking your ALT AST and INR are in normal range as far as I know unless your lab is using a different scale.

The lab my doctor uses normal range for ALT is 0-32 and AST is 0-40

My INR of 1.1 corresponds to a protime score of 11.6 with 8.8-12.0 being normal.

However as Kim said people can have hepatitis and have ALT and AST in normal range. The best way to know if you have been exposed to hepatitis is have a hepatitis antibody test. Not sure which one you are concerned about but commonly you would be tested for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C

Otherwise I have no idea what you health problems might be. We here for the most part are not medical professionals we are a community of patients who are waiting to treat are on treatment or recently post treatment for hepatitis c. We are not doctors and cannot diagnose your medical condition.

Best of luck to you
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.