Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:10:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 85
Total: 86

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Finished Sovaldi/RIBA 1 year ago, still feel lousy  (Read 10144 times)

Offline GrammaSue

Finished Sovaldi/RIBA 1 year ago, still feel lousy
« on: June 04, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »
Hi, this is my first post. I was diagnosed with HCV genotype 3a in Jan. 2006. Began treatment with Interferon/Ribavirin for 24 weeks, virus undetectable at week 4, but relapse after completion. I did a second treatment of Interferon/Ribavirin with a higher dose for 48 weeks. I had problems with blood counts & I got shots of Neupogen which caused bone pain.

Again, I cleared at 4 weeks, remained undetectable throughout, but relapsed when treatment stopped. There wasn't mush else to do, so I just took good care of myself and waited...

Began Sovaldi/Ribavirin in 2014 for 24 weeks and have maintained a SVR! Cured at last! But...its been one year since I finished treatment. I feel lousy. I have 2 primary issues: constant headache and neuropathy in my lower extremities. My PCP is very "anti-drug" which is ok, but this is ridiculous. NOTHING takes my headaches away - Ibuprofen & Advil do nothing, so I suffer through them with ice packs, hot packs, massage, etc.

Pain from neuropathy varies; some days it's mild, but other says it's unbearable (and I have a high pain tolerance). I take gabapentin 100 mg. three times a day with no relief. Can someone tell me if I'll ever feel well? I don't think I'd even recognize it. I'm open to ANYTHING at this point. Help!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Finished Sovaldi/RIBA 1 year ago, still feel lousy
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 03:40:40 pm »
Hi GrammaSue. Welcome to the forums, and congrats on finally being cured of HCV - although I know the thrill of that is diminished when, 1 year post-tx, you still feel lousy. Quite a few of us are in that boat. Many theories floating around about the unexplored consequences of rapid removal of virus from body, possible effects on immune system, the impact of the drugs themselves, etc.

I am afraid I don't have any good suggestions for the headaches or neuropathy. But I am sure others here will. There is also a search function on these forums (located top left on my screen, on a menu bar). You can plug in "neuropathy" and find lots of other people posting about it - many of them developing it post-treatment.

You are not alone with post-treatment health problems lasting so long after treatment.

kim

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:42:48 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline GrammaSue

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:27:38 pm »
Thank you, Kim. Overall I am feeling better. I appreciate the welcome!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:42:41 am »
Pain from neuropathy varies; some days it's mild, but other says it's unbearable (and I have a high pain tolerance). I take gabapentin 100 mg. three times a day with no relief. Can someone tell me if I'll ever feel well? I don't think I'd even recognize it. I'm open to ANYTHING at this point. Help!

Hi again, GrammaSue. On another forum I am on, there has been quite a bit of discussion of B12 deficiency causing peripheral neuropathy. Not sure if that is the type of neuropathy you are experiencing. But peripheral neuropathy is an almost universal symptom among people with serious B12 deficiency (i.e., pernicious anemia). Have you had your B12 level checked recently?

best,
kim
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:50:19 am by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline GrammaSue

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:53 pm »
No, I haven't had it checked. Thank you for the info!

Offline kimharvest

• Fighting to Get Back my Life - GT 3a
    • Vital Wonders
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:01:23 pm »
Me too gramma! Over a year now and I am not functioning normally. Very little energy, confusion, high blood pressure, tiring easily and worthless after 5 pm. After being in some health limbo for 5-10 years, the last 3 a deathlike existence, then 4 months of horridness from Sol/RIBA, then a year of feeling barely alive. I asked for a Epstein Barr Virus test run and I had mono. Now six months of that. EBV may be the hepc culprit but it amazes me that after the bombardment of the cure, how could that spawn a release of a connected virus? Plus that can become chronic. It is hard. Constantly bolstering ones moods trying to overcome daily the worrying, pain and deprecated life.we are all heros!
kimharvest
"Eat healthy food and drink pure water for a healthy life."
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.
Started Sovaldi/Ribavirin 1/26/15 for 24 weeks.
Doctor Office Dropped me on 5/8/15 at 14 weeks;
Finished 4 months total, two months short.
I do not recommend Grand Junction Gastro!
Not Detected at 3, 6 & 12 months.

Offline AussieRosa

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 11:28:41 am »
KimHarvest, I tested positive for EBV many years ago. Since EOT I have suffered from fevers, hot sweats, muscle pains etc etc. I'd like to know more about what you're saying. Do you have any links or more info you could provide on this?
Gt 1a
contracted 1983
Fibroscan 6.1
Treatment naive
VL 2.97M
ALT 38
AST 47
Started Viekira Pak + Ribavirin Tues 19th Jan 2016
Week 4: VL Undetected!
March 5th Ribavirin dose reduction to 800mg from 1000mg
EOT April 11th 2016. VL Not Detected
12 Weeks post EOT: SVR12. Cured with a capital C!!
6 months post EOT: Undetected :-)

Offline Shaphere

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:11:32 pm »
No, I haven't had it checked. Thank you for the info!
Hi am new to forum sorry I am not exactly sure if I am using it correctly. Been on sovaldi second week in.  I have no side effects yet.
I feel like I am counting the days waiting to feel something. I don't see doctor for a month to do blood work. Is that odd?

Offline GrammaSue

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 11:05:20 pm »
I wish I could answer you, but I can't. I had been through 2 rounds of IFN/ Riba and was nearly on my death bed when I began Sovaldi.

I can tell you, however that I had blood tests every week for the first month along with weekly doctors visits. So yes, that part seems odd.

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 11:56:45 pm »
Hi Shaphere and welcome

What are you taking with Solvaldi? Solvaldi cannot be taken alone. What is your genotype? If you are taking Ribavirin I was having my CBC checked weekly as ribavirin can cause anemia (low RBC count)
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.