Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:45:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can you take 2nd Hep B vaccine shot years later?  (Read 81723 times)

Offline mad_adventurer

Can you take 2nd Hep B vaccine shot years later?
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:43:58 pm »
I had the first Hep B vaccine shot two years ago before a trip down to South America. I didn't have time to get the second one before I went. I now have a new trip planned later this summer. Do I have to start over or can I just get the second shot and be done with it?

Offline hepmagnet

Re: Can you take 2nd Hep B vaccine shot years later?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:36:10 am »
I had a similar situation. My doctor told me I could take the second shot at any point in the future. I still don't get what good the first shot did but he clearly said I could get the second one later and it would still vaccinate me against Hep B.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:46:56 am »
Three shots of the hepatitis B vaccine are needed to maximize effectiveness -- the first shot helps to establish immunity to the virus; the second two help to maintain immunity to the virus.

Typically, the three shots are administered over a six-month period and a lot of information on the web indicates that it's best to get your shots on or as close to this schedule as possible. This is because the dosing schedules recommended were the ones tested in clinical trials.

Experts frequently point out, however, that time lapses between the first and second, or second and third, shots aren't a bad thing -- maintained immunity is still possible. There's no need to start the series of three injections all over again, even if a few years have passed between your first and second dose. What is important, however, is that you get all three shots to maintain immunity to the hepatitis B virus.

Tim Horn

Offline hepmagnet

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:31:34 am »
3 shots? damn, i could swear my doctor said two total. well at least it seems ok to have the gap. i'll get them all eventually!

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:44:17 am »
The hepatitis A vaccine generally requires two shots; the hepatitis B vaccine generally requires three shots.

Offline hepmagnet

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:51:09 am »
I bet that's it. I did get my first B and A shot at the same time. I probably mixed up the number. Thanks for follow up.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.