Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:27:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 155
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 139
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questions at a state hearing for their refusing Harvoni  (Read 8032 times)

Offline mik1970

Questions at a state hearing for their refusing Harvoni
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »
Hello
I have a state hearing because I was denied Harvoni treatment. The reasons being that I was misdiagnosed with a problem that the NP stated was advanced when she
applied for Harvoni. The condition is only in the beginning stage. I think we should
just let this problem wait until I am done with the Harvoni treatment. I have had a tumor for over 30 yrs  they did tests and it came up cancer , the treatment will put a load on my liver. This is a weird type of cancer and if you were to get cancer and you had the option of picking one , this would be the one , mainly because it is in the state it's in right now , dormant with no cell mutations. I am perfectly
healthy, so why should we mess with it. Their reasoning is that the oncology Dr. says to operate. The general surgeon does not what to operated , he says its to
risky. I guess the hearing is for me to explain why we should do the Harvoni first.
I have at least a dozen facts and solid proof why we should not operate, they have
the oncology Dr. advise to operate.  I am afraid that because the Dr has been a Dr
for over 30 yrs they will simply take his advise. I might also add that the hospital
committee met and agreed with the oncology Dr. Mind you as it stands right now
if I don't have this operation ( the way they have it planned might be, 5 yrs ago
I refused to have it operating on) I can't get either treatments. In the back of my
mind I'm seeing $ signs and a slot machine , when it comes up all $ signs they win,
because it will cost them nothing.

Thx for reading

Offline Hillgill

Re: Questions at a state hearing for their refusing Harvoni
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:27:21 pm »
I was just notified that Support Path is no longer assisting patients who have insurance Ans I was denied. :(. So heartbreaking after years of other failed treatments. Any advice?

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »
Ouch - I just saw a letter from Gilead stating their policy changes. I suggest any of the following:
1)Contact http://www.hepatitisc.pafcareline.org/
2) Contact Help4Hep  877‑Help‑4‑Hep (877‑435‑7443).

Hoping Merck will come out with a more patient-friendly product. I do know some who are using Viekira just because Harvoni is so hard to get.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Bituman

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:28:31 pm »
Why is this not a topic for a segment of 60 Minutes?  Better yet, why aren't the CEOs of the largest health insurance providers being called to testify before a congressional committee to describe their methodology used to "approve" patients for treatment?  I would really like it entered into the congressional record that one of those bozos said "patients need to be sicker...until then our strategy is to deny funding treatment to cause as much mental anguish as possible to sick people." 

Bob
Age = 59, male, infected likely 1975
DX 07/07 GT 1a
Biopsy 2007:  GR 1, stage 0, HAI = 2/18
Since 2007:  1.48 MM < VL < 11 MM, avg = 5.64 MM
IL28B=CT
1/26/15, AST=43, ALT=55, VL=3.59 MM
2/5 Start Harvoni 12 weeks; Treat naive
2/20 AST=29, ALT=24, VL=59
3/6 AST=29, ALT=25, VL<15
3/19 AST=24, ALT=22, VL=undet
4/3 AST=29, ALT=25, VL=undet
4/30 EOT, AST=22, ALT=20, VL=undet
5/29 EOT+4, AST=20, ALT=19, VL=undet SVR
7/24 EOT+12, AST=23, ALT=18, VL=undet SVR
10/16 EOT+24, AST=22, ALT=17, VL=undet SVR

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:43:52 pm »
Actually, some people in Congress have been looking in to it. Also, there are lawsuits, and quite a few journalists are reporting on this (Morgan Spurlock has also been investigating it.)

The question I have is, "Why is this happening in the first place?" I think we are so messed up in our attitudes about drug use, and hep C's association with drug use makes it easier for people to justify this horrendous disregard for human lives.

Call your senator, representative,  and state officials and express your opinions. It really helps.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.