Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:53:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 188
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fibrosure Turn Around Time and Accuracy  (Read 14984 times)

Offline fitandsick

Fibrosure Turn Around Time and Accuracy
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:46:46 pm »
Hello all, my doctor originally did not test for my fibrosis stage. He told me I didn't need to worry because all of my hepatic function panels looked normal. However, today I demanded a test. He informed me that in this area (Boston, MA) the easiest test would be a Fibrosure blood scan. I do have the option to go into the city and get a Fibroscan done, but he recommended I go with the Fibrosure.

How accurate are these tests? Typically how long did it take for your results to come back? I'm pretty anxious as my insurance company has denied my Harvoni treatment twice already. If it comes back F3 or above I'll likely get approved ASAP. (not that I'm hoping I have fibrosis... but I figured it would be good to know.)

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Fibrosure Turn Around Time and Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:35:07 pm »
They are as accurate, and sometimes more accurate than a biopsy. Either is fine. However, if you are denied treatment, you can still appeal, esp if you have F2 or symptoms or think you are at risk to transmit hep C to others, or unduly anxious about it...
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline lolacme

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:46:24 pm »
Hey fitandsick. Its good to see you advocating for your health. I demanded a fibroscan and was told the fibrosure would be the easiest. I just had my blood drawn 3 days ago and wonder the same thing regarding how long it takes to come back. My dr. prescribed 12 weeks of Harvoni for my F3 stage 4 but my biopsy was 2.5 years old and I feared I had slipped into an F4. I was afraid the treatment would not be sufficient so I also asked him to add Ribavirin which we did 10 days into my Harvoni. If I come back an F4 I am going to asked for 24 weeks of Harvoni. I want this enemy out of my body like yesterday. I will do everything I can to make it happen even if that means asking for tests the Dr. himself may not have deemed necessary to order in the first place.
diagnosed-early 2000's
F3 grade 2-as of Dec. 2012 genotype 1a
2 attempts at Inteferon based tx stopped after 7 weeksX2
Started Harvoni for 12 weeks monotherapy-June 13, 2015 Added Ribavirin June 24th
Beginning AST 117 ALT 261 VL 932876

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 02:55:27 pm »
They are as accurate, and sometimes more accurate than a biopsy. Either is fine. However, if you are denied treatment, you can still appeal, esp if you have F2 or symptoms or think you are at risk to transmit hep C to others, or unduly anxious about it...

Lucinda, is there a change of thinking on this? Ive always read that the noninvasive tests were pretty good at identifying no damage or Cirrhosis, but not accurate/reliable in the middle ranges, and that biopsies were more accurate in the middle. Is this not true anymore?
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline motor

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »
I've always questioned the value of the biopsy, you're getting a sample of one spot.  Whereas the FibroScan is measuring all of liver and coupled with Fibrosure blood work would seem to give a more complete picture.  Just a layman observation, is the liver homogeneous in damage?
Age 66male GT 1a/CT  Dx 5/19/14
Likely infected early 70's
VL 3.7mil FibroScan F2 FSure F2
ALT 84(12-78) AST 56(3-36) High
Tx naive
8wks Harvoni start 3/3/15 VA
4wks ALT 25(12-78) AST 22(3-36) Normal 
        VL  <15  NOT DETECTED
8wks ALT 24 AST 19 
EOT  VL   <15  NOT DETECTED
SVR12 VL <15  NOT DETECTED

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 06:13:43 pm »
I've always questioned the value of the biopsy, you're getting a sample of one spot.  Whereas the FibroScan is measuring all of liver and coupled with Fibrosure blood work would seem to give a more complete picture.  Just a layman observation, is the liver homogeneous in damage?

It may 'seem' like that, but I dont think it 'is' like that.   

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20850886

"Conclusion:
The diagnostic accuracy of non-invasive tests was high for cirrhosis, but poor for significant fibrosis. A clinically relevant gain in the likelihood of diagnosis was achieved in a low proportion of patients. Although the diagnosis of cirrhosis may rely on non-invasive tests, liver biopsy is warranted to diagnose intermediate stages of fibrosis."
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:01:59 pm »
Dragonslayer - As you have probably seen, for every study that says one thing, there is another that says the opposite. You are correct about the middle ranges, however, let's put it in context. On one hand, you have an invasive procedure, that is fairly unpleasant and 20% of pts are staged incorrectly. Compare this to a blood test. If the goal is to qualify for treatment, and the results from a blood test support that goal, then you are done. If the results are in the gray area, then you can request further testing.

What was not discussed by fitandsick's doctor was the choice of imaging, such as FibroScan. To me, this would be a good choice, or a good confirmatory test should the blood test yield murky results.   

Here is a link that really describes the choices:http://www.hepatitisc.uw.edu/go/evaluation-staging-monitoring/evaluation-staging/core-concept/all
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.