Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 01:27:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6309
  • Latest: Vicki
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 171
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Possible side effects of Harvoni?  (Read 8047 times)

Offline montemorton

Possible side effects of Harvoni?
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:40:23 pm »
I think its a kind of miracle that my insurance company is covering the cost of 24 weeks of Harvoni.  I feel grateful, as I couldn't otherwise afford the treatment, and guilty because its clear the insurance companies are making it increasingly difficult to obtain this medication.

I've had hep c for many years with some of the markers (cirrhosis and inflammation) that possibly made me eligible at this time.

I'm in the 22nd week of treatment and have noticed several changes which might be side effects of the Harvoni.  My blood pressure spiked and despite anti-hypertensive medication and changes in my diet (very low sodium intake) remains somewhat elevated.  For the past 4 or 5 weeks I've noticed (pretty much constantly) a very salty taste in my mouth.  Additionally, both my underarms (lymph glands?) are swollen.  My wife believes the swelling may be due to the die off of the virus.  Who knows?

My labs have been normal for the first time in years.  If the labs hold, post Harvoni, I suppose its all going to be worth it.  I've read some of us who are treated with Harvoni experience cognitive changes.  Perhaps I'm not the best judge.  My wife seems to think I'm holding my own in that regard. 

Its been quite a ride.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback you might offer regarding Harvoni side effects.  Thank you.

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: Possible side effects of Harvoni?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:29:52 am »
montemorton, yes, increased BP and salty taste have been mentioned by other Harvoni users who posted to the "Harvoni Side effects" found here: http://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=1653.0 Since there are, as of this moment, nearly 2500 posts to that thread, I'm relying on memory.  >6 weeks of Harvoni haven't AFAIK done me any cognitive damage, so maybe you don't need to wade through that thread yourself to be reassured. Best wishes, -Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Mugwump

• My number of posts means nothing, piscor ergo sum!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 05:14:58 pm »
As far as the blood pressure changes go while on Harvoni it seems to vary greatly and is difficult to quantify. I definitely experienced some marked ups and downs. But 14 weeks post treatment my system seems to be returning to a more normal state of affairs. There is still tinnitus, which I have had for at least 10 years anyway, I still get minor heart thumps every once and a while.. BUT HERE I MUST CONFESS SOMETHING...  I WAS A SMOKER!

I only smoked half a pack of cigs a day and if I went over that I got the usual smokers cough and felt like crap! So for years I justified my smoking by saying; HELL I only smoke a maximum of ten smokes a day so it is not that bad!

I did the math and in Canada today if you consider everything in perspective that means I was wasting around 170 dollars a month on smokes, considering the high taxes and ridiculous cost of cigarettes! I know the tobacco industry can do without my contribution to their enterprise even if the governments that tax the crap out of smokers will suffer if I quit, I cannot afford the weed any longer. PERIOD.

So the week after I finally received a confirmed UND status for the first time since I was diagnosed with HCV, I stopped my tax subsidy to the tobacco industry and government(s).

Well my tinnitus is improving, my heart is not thumping in my chest as much, my daily fight to clear my sinuses is also improving. I am coughing less, tasting my food and smelling the flowers and the crap in life much better!

So for me this post is a catharsis and a confession.

Fortunately I do not have on going blood pressure problems that require treatment yet and I hope to never develop them!

I am not at all saying that you as the person who asked the question about Harvoni tx and BP are a smoker or am at all implying that all BP problems with Harvoni are being caused by smoking!

And I know that the tobacco industry in the States has already paid the dollars to scientifically rebuke the  claims that smoking causes blood pressure problems. So it is absolutely not smoking that is causing blood pressure issues while on Harvoni at least according to them.

But as Sarah Palin would agree
, the fact that I smoked while I was on Harvoni does not refudiate the possibility that smokes might have something to do with what happened to my blood pressure while I was on Harvoni.

I am overweight and in need of more exercise as well but I am workin' on it. Now that the smokes are out of the way perhaps I might be able to even lose some of the pork I gained by sitting around moping, smoking and worrying while HCV did the nasty to my system.

I really hope you get a handle on your blood pressure trouble in a hurry but in the same breath I can tell you that post Harvoni tx your bp should normalize after a period of time.

I have not heard of serious vascular function damage being done directly by Harvoni treatment or any who have had heart attacks that have lead to permanent heart muscle damage. However there is one heart drug reaction that is reported to date that can lead to serious brachycardia. There is definitely a correlation between increased renal functions while on Harvoni. And no doubt there is effects upon the metabolism that can and does effect the heart and blood pressure in the short term. But these effects should be an improvement in function(s) as the liver does it job better and related processes also improve. Perhaps this is just Harvoni causing changes that our old tired metabolism that has been kicked around for years, takes more time to adjust than those who are in better shape than we are.

Slay the dragon and take care

Eric

"My Edit was to clarify what I was thinking as having stopped smoking I no longer take a break I just spout off at the keyboard so as I get over the addiction once and for all perhaps I will start to be more kind in my dialogue again" :-X ::) :o NO MORE SMOKES NO MORE SMOKES ARGHHHH!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:53:53 am by Mugwump »
Caution shameless self promotion below :-)
https://www.hepmag.com/article/eric-reesor-27742-782589663
DING DONG MY DRAGON (HCV) IS FINALLY DEAD!

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:46:35 am »
Luckily I have not had any blood pressure issues but I have had low blood pressure my whole life. I am a smoker and a pretty heavy one at that.  I told myself in July that if I kick this disease my next project is to quit smoking. Hopefully high blood pressure returns to normal after treatment

Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.