Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 07:46:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6309
  • Latest: Vicki
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 141
Total: 141

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting Treatment  (Read 18418 times)

Offline Mikey M

Starting Treatment
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:13:41 pm »
Day one of the Olysio/ Sovaldi treatment.  8hrs  in and nothing bad to report.  I'm 67, and retired so I left my PJ's on all day waiting to feel bad.  Didn't happen.  Maaabe feel like a very low grade cold is coming on.  Oh boy, I hope this is it.  I was shaken in my boots.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: Starting Treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:26:37 pm »
I am embarrassed to say that I was laughing when I read this - not at you, but because I could totally relate!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:15:35 pm »
Day 2 and no problems at all.  Did my morning exercises and went for a ride in the mountains with my son.  Did put on the sunscreen and a hat.  At this point, if things stay the way they are, my biggest problem is going to be staying out of the sun during the summer.  I like the beach.  I'm really stoked this is going so well. 

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:05:20 pm »
Day 5, and everything is great.  Put on a hat, long sleeves, and sunscreen yesterday and went for a walk.  No sunburn, so another worry put to rest, as long as I obey the rules. 
5 down, 79 to go. 

Offline willie g

• geno 1 25million etc. s/o for treatment
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »
ftp://wow I'm just getting started but my Dr. Doesn't know if I can be on new drug yet cause I'm in NY.I was told initial startup I would go thru much because I'm bipolar and already have pain issues.but good for you,iI'd buy acase of SSunscreen lol

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:38:14 am »
Going for my two week blood test tomorrow.  Feeling fine.  I had a cold and a sprained foot that put me down for a couple of days, but absolutely no bad effects from the hep meds.  Even the sun sensitivity thing was no problem.  I have been out, with sunscreen of course, and there has been no reaction at all.  I go in next week to the Dr.  to discuss the blood test findings, and I'll post after that.  So far, to anyone who is debating because of side effects, I say go for it. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »
Thanks for the real feedback! I appreciate it.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 11:44:34 am »
UPDATE!!!!
Went in for my first checkup yesterday.  Everything is within NORMAL levels.  Up to now I have had no side effects what so ever, and each day, it seems I'm getting stronger.
 A little background. I'm 66. I think I've had this from about the late 60's early 70's from a bunch of stupid stuff I did after Viet Nam.  I was diagnosed with Hep C in about '98 as a result of an insurance exam. I opted not to have treatment because I didn't feel bad, and the treatment was so horrible.  I quit smoking in 2000 but never really seemed to get my wind back.  Then in 06 I had a heart bypass.  I thought that would give me back some stamina, and it did, but not what I expected.  Now that I have been on the Solvaldi/Olysio treatment for almost 6 weeks, I feel better than I have felt in 10 years.  I didn't know how bad I felt until I started getting better.  On a walk the other day with my wife, I told her that if it wasn't for a bum foot, I would start jogging.  That's how good I feel now.   Also, folks, the people supplying the meds, asked about my financial status because my co-pay was so high.  I replied that I'm on SS and they have a program that provides me with the medication at no cost.  So don't let the money thing stop you.  Ask about the assistance programs available.  As an aside, the PA that I saw yesterday said she now really likes her job.  It used to be that everyone she saw was in a sad state from the chemo-poison they were being treated with, now everyone she sees is happy, healthy and getting cured too.  The only thing you have to be careful of is the sun sensitivity, but the 50 sunscreen that they sent me with the meds, works perfectly.  I go out with short sleeves all the time an don't have a problem.  All I can say is DON"T WAIT. START TREATMENT NOW.  You won't regret it. I looking foreword to being CURED in only 6 more short weeks. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 11:57:40 am »
This is so encouraging - Thanks!
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »
Six weeks today on the Olysio/Solvaldi. No adverse effects.  Only better and better.  I'm stoked.

Offline canythingbutaverage

• Genotype 1a (Q30Q/R, H58D, Y93Y/C)
    • C Anything But Average
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 04:13:47 pm »
I never thought I'd see someone over the age of sixty use the word stoked. But considering the context i totally see why!

I'm just a few weeks behind you in the treatment and I'm glad to see other people finding better liver function while the treatment progresses.

You may notice a "second wind." While my mother was on a different treatment she found her cardiopulmonary function improving within a year after treatment finished. (She was 62 when she cleared)

I wish you the best of luck on the next half of treatment!
Energy and persistence conquer all things

http://blogs.hepmag.com/ricknash/

Offline optimystic

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 09:31:52 pm »
this is great. i feel cured just reading your posted chronicles. thank you Jesus!

Offline willie g

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 02:49:38 am »
WOW MIKE THATS GREAT YOUR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE, AND BLOWS MY MIND YOUR NOT HAVING BAD SIDE EFFECTS. I AM TOO A VIETNAM VET AND LIKE YOU I DID ALOT OF '"GOOD TIMES""  WELL GOOD TIME CHARLIES GOT THE BLUES NOW LOL IM SOON TO GET STARTED AND I HOPE I WILL BE ON THE MEDS YOUR ON CAUSE I TOO HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE TERRORS OF TREATMENT WITH OTHER MEDS.I FINALLY HAVE TO STOP READING SO MUCH ABOUT THIS HCV. IVE GOT MYSELF THINKING ABOUT IT WHEN I GET UP WHEN I GO THRU MY DAY AND WHEN I GO TO BED.MY FATHERS WHOLE SIDE OF HIS FAMILY DIED OF DIFFERRENT FORMS OF CANCER AROUND MY AGE AND MY DAD HAD THE EXACT SYMPTOMS I AM NOW HAVING AND IT STARTED IN LIVER AND HE WAS TOO STUBBORN AND LIKED HIS BOOZE SO BY THE TIME HE WAS REALLY FEELING IT HE WENT TO ROCHESTER AND THEY GAVE HIM 6 MONTHS AND I WAS WITH HIM AT THAT TIME.IT FLOORED HIM EVEN THOUGH HE TRIED NOT SHOW IT.AND WHEN HE GOT HIS FIRST SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK TWO DAYS HE WAS GONE. 6 MONTHS 3 DAYS AND HE HAD JUST RETIRED SO I CAN SEE WHY I HAVE THE SHAKING IN MY BOOTS TOO. I WENT TO 5 FUNERALS IN ONE YEAR AT THE SAME FUNERAL PARLOR AND THEY WERE ALL IMMEDIATE FAMILY. SO YA, IT SURE MAKES YOU THINK ABOUT LIFE MORE WHEN YOUR DIAGNOSED WITH WHAT YOUR FATHER AND OTHERS DIED FROM.I ALWAYS SAID,I COULD GO TODAY AND THAT WOULD BE FINE,BUT WHEN THIS COMES KNOCKING AT ""YOUR DOOR""  MAN THOSE THOUGHTS CHANGE. SO GOOD FOR YOU ,KEEP ON TRUCKING AND BROTHER I HOPE THAT THOSE WILL BE THE MEDS IM ON.STILL A ? BUT I HAVE HIGH HOPES I WILL. NY IS JUST GETTING ON BOARD WITH NEW MEDS SO MAYBE MY HAVING TO WAIT AND WORRY WILL SOON CEASE. MAN WHAT A HEADTRIP LIKE THIS DOES! AND ITS NOT LIKE THE HEADTRIPS WE HAD BACK IN THE DAY MIKE.  LOL  WILLIE G   THIS IS MY 2 SHORT STORY IVE WRITTEN THIS AM. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH LOL

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:52 am »
Hang in there WillieG.  Keep the faith bro.  Stay on your Doc, and keep checking every possible avenue for getting the meds.  I guess I'm lucky in that things just sort of fell into place for me in that way.  Good Luck man. 
MikeyM

Offline willie g

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 11:01:24 pm »
THANKS MIKE, THINGS ARE STARTING TO FALL IN PLACE, I HAVE FORMS I GOT TODAY WHICH THE DR. GOT TODAY FROM CVS/caremark which as soon as my dr. or other caregiver fills out , what meds they want me to be on {new ones i hope, i hope} give them my geno  type etc, etc,  then ill be off to the races. thanks buddy and glad your doing well  willie g    ps  to all you folks just getting started you may have to do a lot of footwork as i have been doing, i thought it would be two weeks like doc. said and bingo i would start.not the case for me as Lucinda pointed out to me in the beginning. call them, stay on top of them,and real important stay humble,,,,nicey nice when calling them, trust me you will get a lot further that way as i have found out but you could say IVE BEEN BUGGING THEM lol and its our lives and its ok and i think i have a kinda  friend out of all this at the docs. office,  not in the beginning though. lol  thks again mike

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 12:09:28 pm »
Right on Willy.  I'm home today waiting for the delivery of my last series of pills.  Hard to believe I only have 5 more weeks to go.  It just gets better and better each day.  I got up this morning, rode my bicycle for a half hour, and did my exercise workout for 45 minutes.  Exercise is important I think because it is a way to gauge how much better you feel.  You can really see almost daily improvement.  Things that would have sent me to take a nap two months ago, are easy now. 
Willy please keep me up to date on your situation when you start.  I wanna hear you brag too. 
MikeyM

Offline willie g

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 12:28:10 pm »
HA HA I WILL MIKE.  ENJOY YOUR SCOOTIN AROUND,WIND IN YOUR FACE.  LATER   WILLIE G

Offline FRED220

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 05:45:05 pm »
Hello Mikey, how is it going?

Offline Mikey M

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 08:47:49 pm »
Hey Fred220.  I was gonna save this till next Tuesday when I finish my pills, but I feel great.  I can't remember feeling this good for a long time.  Someone wrote that we should exercise while taking the meds, even though we didn't feel good, it would give us something to do and think about other than the Hep C.  I started doing that, and it has really helped.  I've lost around 20 lbs, and have more energy than I know what to do with.  So now I have 6 days of pills left some blood work to do and a Dr. appointment that I'm actually looking forward to.  The time flies when you realize your getting better and better. 

Offline FRED220

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »
Hello Mikey, I am glad you are doing well and wishing you the best. Keep us up to date with your progress. Thanks

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.