Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:35:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 174
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: High Iron Level  (Read 10592 times)

Offline LindaMarie48

High Iron Level
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:38:03 pm »
Hi. I'm new to the forum but not to treatment. This is my 3rd try.  Completed Solvaldi with Pegintron and riboviran in April and was virus free until July. But now my iron levels are way up. I'm hoping it's a side effect of the ribo. Started Harvoni at the beginning of November. One pill a day is so easy compared to the handfuls of pills and weekly shot of previous treatments. But now I have this iron thing going on ...anyone else having iron issues?

Offline Mikee

Re: High Iron Level
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »
yes I test high iron levels. Its associated with having hepc.

Offline LindaMarie48

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:09:15 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Never had high iron come up until my July labs. It was a one-two punch...relapse and high iron.

Offline Mikee

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:10:39 am »
Once you go undetected im pretty sure the iron levels will go down. Are they just slightly elevated or highly elavated ?

Offline LindaMarie48

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »
Levels are running around 1500. High enough that my Hep Dr sent me to a Hematologist for 2nd opinion. Btwn July and now they went down to 900 and then back up to 1500. He said he wouldn't mess with me until I was thru with treatment. But if it didn't resolve I would need to start Phlebotomy. While I appreciate having a plan B in place I hate the thought of monthly Phlebotomy. So I have even more riding on the hope of a good outcome with Harvoni.  Go back for more labs on 12/16.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 02:27:18 pm »
Hello New Members,

My IDS did keep a check on my Fe level and it stayed steady. She did tell me to not take any iron supplements and to try to stay away from fortified food since I did not have a problem with anemia. When you start looking at food labels it is amazing how much stuff is added to it.

Bucky

I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline Mikee

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 02:49:28 pm »
That's pretty high mine was 300. Good luck with tx. I started Harvoni just over 2 weeks ago this is my 4th try but looks like my best chance.

Offline LindaMarie48

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:15 pm »
4th try. Looks like Harvoni is coming at the right time for alot of us. After my last relapse I had decided not to try again. But I am very fortunate to have a great Doc! So I am completing my 4th week on Harvoni as I write this post. Only 20 more weeks to go. Good luck to you as well. Your perseverance is awesome. Go You!!!

Offline LindaMarie48

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 05:56:21 pm »
Dietary restrictions are my life. Used to have cast iron stomach, emphasis on "used to". No red meat, iron supplements or calcium have been added to my list. My Doc said fortified foods didn't have enough additional iron and calcium to worry about. But I always read labels anyway. I did enjoy a few months of no digestive issues before I relapsed and it was wonderful.  Really looking forward to that again. As always I am hoping for success for all of us.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.