Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:56:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 196
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 144
Total: 144

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Day 8 on Harvoni-have burst blood vessel in eye out of the blue--side effect?  (Read 12156 times)

Offline Grace77

Hey everyone.. new to the site and reading up on Harvoni and side effects.  I was diagnosed in '95, genotype 1a, 2 rounds of IFN then IFN and RIBA--and now starting Harvoni.  I'm on day 8, experiencing mild liver pain (anyone else?) and out of the blue--have a burst blood vessel in my eye!  I'm on Blood pressure meds and am worried this is maybe messing with my BP hence the burst vessel?  Any one have similar experience?  Should I call my doctor?  Thank you all for any advice and thank you for being here!  Love what I'm reading :)

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
Hi Grace,

Welcome and congrats for starting your TX! I knew a few people mentioned they have had some BP challenges and did have to consult with their Doctors, I would totally suggest you call your doctor.  BP isn't anything to mess around with! Make sure you are drinking lots of water, that seems to help everyone.

Didn't you know there is no such thing as liver pain or so the doctors say  ::) I think we are all going through aches and pains, some more than others. All in all it is a pretty amazing little pill and hopefully you will be feeling better soon!

Let us know how it goes with the Dr. and how you progress! We are not doctors just regular people but it's a supportive bunch!

Mel
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:48:10 pm by BattleTheBeast »
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline donk

I have lower right front and right side around shoulder blade occasional pain. Diagnosed with kidney stones (both) before tx with ultrasound. Sure hope the stones don't be a major problem while on TX (harvoni). Just finished 4 weeks and had blood tests today for viral load and liver. Don't know if this is your problem but many things can cause pain in this area. I need to stay alive 8 more weeks. Good luck.

Offline Islandgirl

• Started Harvoni 12/3/14 - EOT 2/25/15
Hi Grace, and welcome!
I had a blood vessel break in my eye years ago like you described.  I was at work and someone said, "what happened to your eye!" - I didn't even realize it had happened, when I looked in the mirror I was shocked!  By all means, call your eye doc to have it checked out. I'd also report it to your Harvoni doc's nurse, just so they are aware.  If you haven't contacted the support path yet, that's a great support too.
Good luck and please, call your eye doc about this.  ...Islandgirl
1b, treatment naive, positive for Hep C since 1994; thought to be transmitted via blood transfusions in 1976
Started Harvoni 12/3/14, EOT 2/25/15
12/31/14 labs - Virus Undetected, ALT/18, AST/34
3/25/15 labs - 1 mo post 12 wk Harvoni TX Virus Undetected!!  :) ....Islandgirl

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
I have had a couple of those like and just like island girl coworkers asked what is going on with my eye. In my case it is possibly a symptom of cirrhosis but I have also not uncommon. But the best idea would be to have a doctir take a look to be on the safe side vision is not something you want to mess around with

Good luck
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Chelle

Hi Grace-
Interesting to see your post. I have been on Solvadi/Olysio combo for a week. On Sunday night, my eye was really red.  The odd thing is that it also happened 3 weeks ago before starting meds. I thought it was related. Saw the eye doc yesterday and he said it was a broken blood vessel.  He told me you can break a blood vessel if you rub your eye, sneeze, or cough. Always a good idea to have it checked.   Wishing you well! -Chelle
Diagnosis 2002 after breast cancer treatments - Blood transfusion 1972
HCV Genotype 1a, Fibrosis F1/F2

Started Solvadi/Olysio 1/27/15 for 12 wks
Oct: Viral load 4,360,000 - AST 62, ALT 76 Feb: Viral load 18 - AST 20, ALT 36 after 2 weeks on S/O meds! :)

Offline PatEquack

Hi Grace, I really think you should both see your doctor AND make sure to take your blood pressure with a good machine a couple of x a day. I have had burst blood vessel out of nowhere before. It happens. But when a lot of people are saying they are experiencing nausea and headache, sometimes that is also a sign of high blood pressure. Do drink a ton of water. I only have 15 pills left in my 12 week treatment. I'm feeling pretty good. Still working. Good luck to you.

Offline Rod

day 3 on harvoni
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 06:54:38 am »
Hey everybody im on day 3 of harvoni. The insomnia has set in, been up since 3:30. I have also been sweating during sleep. I also feel like i got a sore throat but I think thats just a cold im getting from teenage son. All in all its not too bad. Im treatment niave and honestly still uncomfortable talking about it. However i do see hope of being cured. Anyways i pray that all of us get cured so we can enjoy life. 

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
I wanted to respond to this as I found it on a google search after a blood vessel burst in my eye on Day 26 on Harvoni.  I don't know whether it is related, hard to tell if these things just "happen  to happen" while on Harvoni or if the medication creates more of an opportunity for it to happen.

I haven't had this before, blood pressure is great, and noticed it right after I took a contact out.  Massive red eye on one side of cornea.  Upon research, it appears it is harmless and subsides on its own.  According to my research, sometimes in taking out contacts you can accidentally "pinch a vessel".  The blood has nowhere to go and has to dissipate on its own over a week or so.  Just thought it interesting that it happened now and could be related so wanted to post in case others have this issue.  No pain or issues other than it looks freaky.
 I see my Dr. on Wednesday and will talk to him about it.
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline sickpuppy

Maybe you're just making a logical fallacy, albeit a medical one?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/pdf/LogicalFallaciesInfographic_A3.pdf - false cause (second one)

Basically you might be making one of the most common thinking flaws there are. Namely: Just because B follows A, that does not mean that B is a direct consequence of A.

More to the point: I've had tiny vessels burst in my eye about once every 1-2 years for no apparent reason. Sometimes I woke up like that, sometimes it was after exercise, a shower, dry air... I couldn't tell you why, but it happens to EVERYONE. It also happens in 100% healthy people.

So, it's not necessarily because of Harvoni.

Check your BP and pulse for the next days, and if it's fine, then that's the end of it. Whatever it is, it can wait until you finish TX.

Put it this way: whatever you do, if you stop the treatment now, you're screwed, since you now have a resistance to all current and (some) future treatments. It's now or never.

P.S - If you have low platelets, the chances of this happening increase by a lot. Even slightly under normal platelet values. That's just the way it is. Platelets can go way lower, but it'll be a bumpy ride to the bottom.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:58:22 am by sickpuppy »
GT1a - TX-naive

Baseline:

16.2 kPa
ALT: 61 iu/L
ALP: 74 iu/L
Albumin: 38g/L
Bilirubin: 27 umol/L
Platelets: 80
VL: 792,000
History of 4 violent varices bleeding episodes and splenomegaly present.

21/07/15 - TX start - Harvoni + Ribavirin 12 weeks.
Week 2 - UND
Week 4 - UND
Week 8 - UND
13/10/15 Week 12 - UND
19/11/15 - SVR4
8/1/16 - SVR12 !!!!!

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
Possibly I left the wrong impression when I mentioned a blood vessel in my eye had burst so I want to clarify.  I meant to report on something that happened to me, and, when things happen to us that we haven't experienced before treatment, it seems natural to explore if there is a connection.

Since another person had posted the same experience a while ago, I mentioned it too. (That's why there is a ? mark beside the thread as I picked up on an older post.) I thought I was being careful not to blame Harvoni and made that distinction.  I also mentioned that after further exploration it might not be necessarily related. I'm so grateful to have access to this treatment.

At no time have I ever considered or mentioned stopping treatment. 
My goal on this forum is to support and be supported.  It has been an important lifeline for me and I hope that continues.  Thank you!  Bree
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.