Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:18:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kicked off Half Way Through Treatment  (Read 8254 times)

Offline kimharvest

• Fighting to Get Back my Life - GT 3a
    • Vital Wonders
Kicked off Half Way Through Treatment
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:35:32 pm »
I have racked my brains to try to get back on before my meds run out. I was just over 3 1/2 months on Sovaldi and riba for type 3a. My nurse practitioner I am funneled thru has no real understanding of mental issues. Told me from the beginning he would not treat me with any anxiety. I have had anxiety my whole life and live with it. I can't understand his obsession with it. He said come back in two months when you cure your anxiety and I will put you on meds. I learned never to tell him anything during visits. I went anemic during weeks 13-15 and had flu symptoms and was very tired and annoyed.  Well that passed and I was proud to have gotten thru it. I saw my NP and mentioned I had a few rough weeks but felt better now.  I also messed up with my other meds misplacing my perscriptions after filling them, not being able to find them. I was so focused on my hepc meds I was doing my best. Not good enough I guess.  He cut me in 3 minutes, said it might get worse and he said he was too busy to talk any more. I ran out crying; I just witnessed my own murder. I opened my big mouth and got cut for mentioning any side effects.  My therapist was behind me, another one interviewed me... I think they were all backing me up.  But my office made their money on me and the faster they turn me over and pick up another one from their endless list the more they make. This ensures I come back for another full treatment and they bill over again. Seems like an endless merry-go-round. Money for big pharma and money for the doctors and I get sacrificed.  I do not think I will ever get accepted again anyway and these are the only guys around; one partnership who gets all the hepc people and you can never switch offices.  I have never seen the doctor once. 
Has anyone else been dropped and got picked up by something else? In less than a week? I have 5 days left though I was supposed to stop last week. I can't go back to how it was. My life was over. They are asking me to accept this. How will dropping me help my attitude? I almost let myself believe I could have a life again, date again and have family and friends. Now it is back to the big void. I did test UD at week 4 and he cancelled my 3 month viral load, so there is a small chance there was a cure; but really, they say 6 months for a reason. I have HMO getting me an advocate but I am running out of time. I called a lawyer but see where that will head; flat nos. I do not even know if the doctor even knows my case, his NP runs the show.  Any ideas?
kimharvest
"Eat healthy food and drink pure water for a healthy life."
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.
Started Sovaldi/Ribavirin 1/26/15 for 24 weeks.
Doctor Office Dropped me on 5/8/15 at 14 weeks;
Finished 4 months total, two months short.
I do not recommend Grand Junction Gastro!
Not Detected at 3, 6 & 12 months.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Kicked off Half Way Through Treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »
That is an awful situation kimharvest! I am so sorry for you. I have no useful advice. Is there anyway at all you can get a different doctor or NP in short order and keep going? The problem clearly seems to be this particular NP. What an a**hole to play with someone's life that way.

You are in my thoughts! Let us know what happens. Hoping for the best for you.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:12:14 pm »
Call my support path and if they can't help, call Help 4 Hep 877‑Help‑4‑Hep (877‑435‑7443).

Do this ASAP.

After this is done, report him to the state agency that regulates HMOs and to the medical board and to your insurance admin. And to Health Grades.

Now - most important thing - what I am going to say is the truth - your life is not over. Your anxiety (along with medication) is talking. Hold on to this truth - not only will you survive this, you may still be cured, even if you can't get the meds. But try to get them so if you don't kick the virus, then you will know it isn't because you didn't have the drugs long enough.

In the mean time, new drugs will likely come out early next year - easier drugs with better cure rates. I'm hoping you won't need them. But you will not die between now and then.

Try to get help for the anxiety. I lived with it for 20 years, and I've been free of it for 25. I had great help, and I hope you can find it too.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline kimharvest

• Vital Wonders
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 09:13:34 pm »
Thanks everyone! I am so hopeful today because I annoyed my insurance carrier into hooking me up with an advocate who expedited my case. She is going to try to talk to the guy to take me back, though I doubt he will. Otherwise she asked me if I could switch to Denver - 5 hours over the Rockies! I said "sure" tho I can barely make that drive. The train is 9 hours throughout the most beautiful scenery ever- enough to get sick of after 6 hours. Ha! I am trying not to hold it against my nurse-practitioner; he takes his job very seriously and I inadvertently waved some red flags. Basically he doesn't get my humor.  But not to agree to a second opinion... I haven't given up yet!
Iporterrn: is that your picture? You are stunning! I will try the number you suggested tomorrow if Rocky Mountain HMO's advocate fails or might just ask them some questions!
kimharvest
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 05:02:51 pm »
Wow - you are a warrior Kim!. And thanks for the compliment.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Greatful

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 07:27:56 pm »
Good luck Kimharvest, my heart goes out to you.
Grace
Genotype 3
Tx: Sovaldi, Ribavirin
Started 24 week tx April 7, 2015

Offline kimharvest

• Vital Wonders
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 09:28:57 pm »
There was nothing I could do. I have been red flagged so no other doctor will treat me too. The Physicians Assistant stonewalled all calls. The only one to get thru to the doctor was my brother, also a doctor; he called a week too late just to tell me the doctor could have put me back on the meds but since I called the insurance company to complain he fired me as a patient. My brother said he sounded like a nice guy... it seems doctors are thicker than blood. Seems I dropped to 65% for curing. Still a chance but using this only clear thinking year to plan for if the sickness comes again.  Why did I drop back into the system thinking it had changed and was better? Feeling foolish.
kimharvest
GT 3a  15,000,000 VL.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.