Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:54:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6309
  • Latest: Vicki
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 236
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Triple Therapy Treatment  (Read 8585 times)

Offline Jaymor

Triple Therapy Treatment
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:23:22 am »
Hi all,
I am genotype 1a
I've recently begun the triple therapy of Interferon, Ribavarin and Semeprivir. I'm in week 2, having started on 3rd of July. To begin with I felt a bit flu like, lethargic, nauseous.. As time has went on I've got little blister type spots on the sides of my fingers, which feel a touch itchy (I'm resisting the urge to). At times my mouth is really dry and food has a strange taste. I knew to expect side effects, but had hoped maybe I'd be one of the lucky ones who didn't report much. So far my experience has been doable. It's really early for me I suppose, I'm looking at 26 weeks treatment if all goes well at the 4 week point. I just want to use this site as a means of support. I feel like I'm complaining all the time, both externally and internally. To add to that I have felt quite low at times. Any advice from anyone who is going through a similar treatment journey would be much appreciated. Thanks

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
Re: Triple Therapy Treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:58:06 am »
Where are you Jaymore? That's not a US treatment choice is it?
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline Jaymor

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:03:50 am »
I'm in the UK. The semeprivir also goes by the name olysio, from reading threads I think that the semeprivir is called something else in the US.

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:27:56 am »
Ahhhh. I very much doubt anyone here is currently undergoing that treatment. Most in the US have switched to Harvoni or Viekira Pak. Mostly Harvoni.

I'm in Australia where the triple therapies are still used if needed, but we are all awaiting the outcome of government negotiations with Gilead etc to see if they will be available.

I'm very fortunate to be on a compassionate access scheme through a hospital here where I can access Viekira Pak and riba. Im on a 24 week treatment protocol.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline Corey

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:45:57 am »
I am in the US and currently on Harvoni (4.5 wks left!).  I did the interfuron and riba combo as part of a clinical trial in the late 90's.  It didn't work for me.  The triple therapy sounds like it is showing better results and I am sending best wishes for success.  The best advice I can offer is that drinking a lot of water helps lessen the side effects.   Lemon ginger tea and crystallized ginger might help with nausea.  Good health!!

Offline Junkyard

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:19:11 pm »
When Telaprivir came out I did the triple therapy. Previously I did the riba and inter treatment.
The side affects from riba and inter can be as bad as you can imagine. The first 3 weeks of the interferon were as bad as anyone can describe. The first dual treatment I was a null responder. The second triple therapy was probably worse because I did 24 weeks. The only thing that kept me going was I was undetected at 4 weeks. When i did the follow up blood work I relapsed.
The only advice I could possibly give is, make sure you have access to your dr.. You are on a real roller coaster ride. If you are at the 4 week point. Make sure your blood work is fairly good. If not talk to your dr..
I did the shots on Sunday's. That was my one day I did not have anything to do.  I think the riba was the worst part. The reason I say this is, I finished the Harvoni and riba the end of May. I did not have the rashes like the triple therapy but I did get very fatigued and have not recovered completely. I do feel somewhat better at times. That is what keeps me going.
Please keep the big picture in mind, hopefully you will clear the virus and keep it clear. That is what I hope for you.
Believe me when I say "I understand" and I feel your pain.  I hope it will be worth all your side effects.
Good luck and God bless

Offline Jaymor

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 04:11:50 pm »
Thanks very much for the comments, I get the whole roller coaster thing.. that's exactly what I feel like I'm on. The rashes have begun in earnest since I last posted here, on my elbows and back as well as my ankles.. plus my skin is sore to touch. I'm going to keep going, so far I've only had one day off work, I got sent home. So I'm still trying to follow my routine, any advice on what would help my skin? Thanks in advance

Offline Junkyard

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 08:45:53 pm »
I am sure there are many home remedies for the rashes. I would communicate with your doctor on this.  I do remember the hardest parts were midway to the last part. There should be plenty of reference on line for that part. You will have different areas that will pop up and go away.
Try to stay active and do what exercise you can and keep the water flowing. I did not miss any work days, that is why I did the shot on Sunday's.
When I was on Telaprivir I had to eat so many calories I was distracted from a lot of stuff.
Be very determined and you can get through the hard parts. There will always be distractions just keep the end game in sight. 
I have a great wife that waited on me hand over fist. Keep support around. That helped me as much as anything.
Good luck and keep asking questions to your doctor and make sure they are as serious as you are.
The best thing is your liver is getting a break from the virus, that is the important thing. Skin will grow back, you only have one liver. Hang in there

Offline Corey

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 08:20:29 am »
I got the wicked rash from teleprivir and had to stop.  I'll pass on a few of the suggestions the drs. office passed on during my orientation.  But first, check in with your dr about the rash.  Avoid hot showers (a tough one for me).  Keep water temp in the tepid range and no vigorous toweling after.  Drink a lot of water as you will hear over and over.  If your skin is really itchy, you can try a colloidal oatmeal bath - make your own colloidal oatmeal by grinding oatmeal down to a powder with a coffee grinder - and again, use tepid water.  If the itching is really driving you nuts, try using ice packs wrapped in a towel.

I also lost a lot of hair while on interferon and riba.  I mention this not to freak you out but to assure you it is a temporary condition.  The bonus was that I lost the grey and my hair came back in brighter and curlier!

Offline kate0b1

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 08:45:00 am »
Hey jaymor, i also did triple therapy, i use aveeno lotion (a lot of it) it did help with the dry skin and i almost always took a benedryl at night to help sleep without waking up itching. I also sadly lost hair (actually all it), i had a super cute wig, that i wore for about 4/5 months, my hair did not start falling out until almost the end of therapy. after i was done i started taking biotin daily (i did not take it during), it came back pretty quick to be able to get a cute hair cut (sorry but my gray came back  :'(). I took my shots on thursday, weirdly i did not feel bad until friday night, so it worked out ok as i could just go to bed early.

best of luck with it and stay strong, there are a lot of peeps here who have been on the road you are on.

kate

Offline Faye

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 09:06:43 am »
Could you tell me what is the criteria for treating with just Harvoni or Harvoni and Reba I see a lot of people are on both. My doctor has me on just Harvoni he's been out of town I just got my meds in the mail and start treatment tomorrow. I will find out all of my blood work in a few weeks. This is all so new to me.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.