Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:17:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 179
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Side effects  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Emmana

Side effects
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:53:43 pm »
 :-[. I am having a very tough time of it.   It is very difficult at my age of 65 years. I am certain it is difficult for everyone but the drugs are hitting me hard and aging me quickly. I have been on them for about six weeks the Solvadi is causing me to gain weight rapidly, without dietary change, and I'm used to being trim and active . My clothes don't fit.   I feel like I weigh a ton I am sluggish, holding water and my waistband has expanded by several inches. I look like I'm pregnant!! I hate this, I just hate this >:(. The Ribavirin makes me curse and attack my husband.  Then there is the self loathing and crying jags for no reason and for every reason.  I cannot stand myself. I am not me. I am not acting like the person I am, or used to be,I should say
I almost died in the first month because my white and red blood cells were destroyed so rapidly that my body could not adapt to it. The dosage had to be lowered from 1200mgs a day to 800mgs a day of Ribavirin.
 I don't need any solutions or advice I'm just telling you what I'm going through I know that everyone is going to be different so there's no sense telling me what to do. But thank you anyhow.
 I have no energy, therefore I have no life. It is so very very difficult I sometimes wonder if I will get through this for either the drugs will kill me or the advanced cirrhosis of the liver from 40+ years of inflammation. It is a helpless hopeless situation and I can hardly wait until I get to the end of it. That is if I survive it.  Sometimes the cure is the killer and that is the way it works. Doctor cannot makes any promises re healing and recovery because of the condition of my liver. Sigh.
Just in case you are new here I am not trying to freak you out this is about side effects and this is how the drugs are affecting me.   :-\
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:02:31 pm by Emmana »
Emmana

Offline drummerman

• For those regarded as warriors....
Re: Side effects
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:32 pm »
:-[. I am having a very tough time of it.   It is very difficult at my age of 65 years. I am certain it is difficult for everyone but the drugs are hitting me hard and aging me quickly. I have been on them for about six weeks the Solvadi is causing me to gain weight rapidly, without dietary change, and I'm used to being trim and active . My clothes don't fit.   I feel like I weigh a ton I am sluggish, holding water and my waistband has expanded by several inches. I look like I'm pregnant!! I hate this, I just hate this >:(. The Ribavirin makes me curse and attack my husband.  Then there is the self loathing and crying jags for no reason and for every reason.  I cannot stand myself. I am not me. I am not acting like the person I am, or used to be,I should say
I almost died in the first month because my white and red blood cells were destroyed so rapidly that my body could not adapt to it. The dosage had to be lowered from 1200mgs a day to 800mgs a day of Ribavirin.
 I don't need any solutions or advice I'm just telling you what I'm going through I know that everyone is going to be different so there's no sense telling me what to do. But thank you anyhow.
 I have no energy, therefore I have no life. It is so very very difficult I sometimes wonder if I will get through this for either the drugs will kill me or the advanced cirrhosis of the liver from 40+ years of inflammation. It is a helpless hopeless situation and I can hardly wait until I get to the end of it. That is if I survive it.  Sometimes the cure is the killer and that is the way it works. Doctor cannot makes any promises re healing and recovery because of the condition of my liver. Sigh.
Just in case you are new here I am not trying to freak you out this is about side effects and this is how the drugs are affecting me.   :-\

Sorry to hear of your tough time on the tx Emmana.  This is my 2nd time through tx and I will say it was no picnic.  There were many times when I just had to act like I was in a play and just acted like I was not  losing it.
I also got a rx for xanax and there several days I know I would not have made it through without it.  I got my gp to prescribe time release xanax and he was happy to do so.  I tried the regular xanax but I needed something that would last the day, as I teach at an all boys high school.... not the job to have when  you feel like choking someone!    You might check into it, although some docs are real reluctant to prescribe xanax.

Good luck and remember , everyday will be a little different.  Get as much rest as you can.  I quit all my projects and just did minimum activity.  Had to put a lot of things on the back burner and still doing so.

Hang in there!

dm

Diagnosed07
Interferon/riba 2008 - non-responder
5/16/15 - AST -34
ALT - 35_ HCV RNA - 10,783,000
 7/6/15 - started viekira/riba
8/11/15  Week 5 <15 vl,  AST 18, ALT 18
9/11/15 Week 9  "HCV NOT DETECTED"!
AST 16, ALT 11.  10/16/16 - 2 weeks post EOT = "HCV NOT DETECTED!   AST - 18,  ALT 14
12/29/15 -12 wk EOT-HCV NOT DETECTED! AST 23, ALT 15
3/26/16 - 24 wk post EOT - HCV NOT DETECTED!! AST 19, ALT 21
1 yr eot - AST 20, ALT 17

Offline Emmana

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:17:34 pm »
I refuse to do those kind of drugs. Never never never. I have enough problems. I am Canadian and ANTI-anti-depressant drugs. My doctor knows better than to even mention such a thing to me. Crazy. Xanax will cause more side effects and severe longterm ones. I will get by without.
Thanks.
Emmana

Offline drummerman

• For those regarded as warriors....
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:23:59 pm »
Wow.

It is a dangerous drug but given the choice between riba rage taken out on teenage boys, I chose to take the xanax.

Well , good luck anyway!

dm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:30:56 pm by drummerman »
Diagnosed07
Interferon/riba 2008 - non-responder
5/16/15 - AST -34
ALT - 35_ HCV RNA - 10,783,000
 7/6/15 - started viekira/riba
8/11/15  Week 5 <15 vl,  AST 18, ALT 18
9/11/15 Week 9  "HCV NOT DETECTED"!
AST 16, ALT 11.  10/16/16 - 2 weeks post EOT = "HCV NOT DETECTED!   AST - 18,  ALT 14
12/29/15 -12 wk EOT-HCV NOT DETECTED! AST 23, ALT 15
3/26/16 - 24 wk post EOT - HCV NOT DETECTED!! AST 19, ALT 21
1 yr eot - AST 20, ALT 17

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:33:57 pm »
Emma's, sorry to hear about the side effects. Has your dr. checked your riba levels? Several people on here were having problems like you are having, and found out the riba levels were too high and cut down the dosage and that seemed to help. This treatment can also cause a bit of insomnia, which in turn causes irritability and anger and just out right feeling like shit. If your not sleeping well it could have a domino effect. Hopefully your on 12 weeks and your halfway there. Like drummerman I also got a very mild Xanax from my doctor to help me sleep, because lack of sleep makes day to day living a real bear. Luckily I have only needed to take a few so far and I have 11 days of treatment left. You said you are anti antidepressant and other things but sometimes if you can snap the horror of side effects by getting a couple of nights of good sleep it might be worth it. Good luck to you and I hope you start feeling better

Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline Emmana

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:40:15 pm »
I was venting. I will not reply to any more suggestions. I thought I specifically stated that in my original post. Not looking for solutions. Just needed to get it out in a forum that was supposed to be understanding. My mistake. I out of here.
Emmana

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:15:13 pm »
Wow,,your right, this probably isn't the place for you. People just try to help

Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
I AM FREE!

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 11:20:45 pm »
Scout

Emmana did say specifically in her original post that she wasn't looking for help or advice, and didn't want any. She just wanted a space to vent about the problems she is having. And that's a valid use of this forum space too since most of us don't have any other place we can vent because we are living in secrecy about our Hep C and our treatment. But people's impulse is always to try to help someone with a problem, even when they have been asked not to. It's a difficult situation.

kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 11:21:22 pm »
How are you doing dm, now that you are pill free...must be nice not having to remember whether or not you took your pill? Feeling ok?

Scout
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
I AM FREE!

Offline Emmana

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:29:28 pm »

Scout
<<Obscene content removed by moderators>>
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:31:12 am by Hep Forum Moderators »
Emmana

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 09:17:16 am »
I think the best thing now is to close this thread out. It was informative & interesting, opinions were expressed and clashed a bit. Sometimes informing doesn't mean you are looking to do anything but inform, but at the same time this is a forum full of helpful people that empathize, and therefore will make suggestions.  No harm in any of that, except we should all try to 'respectfully disagree' or 'respectfully ignore' - no reason to escalate, as nothing is gained.  Thanks to everyone for making this forum so informative and helpful. -jack

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.