Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 05:22:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55126
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 167
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harvoni 12 wks with Ribo or Harvoni 24 wks by itself?  (Read 8692 times)

Offline Allen Cunningham

Harvoni 12 wks with Ribo or Harvoni 24 wks by itself?
« on: January 14, 2016, 09:18:54 pm »
Diagnosed 8/97 with HepC
Liver Transplant 7/2004
Genotype 1b, Biopsy:12/2015: F-0, Slight Inflammation, TX Naive
v/l: ~600,000 - ~1,000,000 ALT: 26, AST: 26
Starting 12 wks Harvoni in Jan 2016

My local Gastro ordered 12 weeks of Harvoni for me. I contacted the transplant clinic to let them know, and the Hepatologist at UC San Fran wants to see me before I start next week. I think what they are going to tell me is that AASLD guidelnes for post-transplant patients are either:

1. Harvoni 12 Weeks with Riboviran OR
2. Harvoni for 24 weeks for those who do not tolerate Ribo

My question is how bad are Riboviran side effects? Are they worse when combined with Harvoni?

I have to continue working (desk job) while on treatment so I don't want to have to deal with horrible side effects.

Thanks,

Allen

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Harvoni 12 wks with Ribo or Harvoni 24 wks by itself?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:55:26 pm »
Side effects are different for everyone so kind of hard to say. Most of the side effects you would experience would be from the ribavirin as most people have few side effects on Harvoni.

I am one of the folks who get anemic on ribavirin so that was a little tough for me I was on Harvoni for 24 weeks but after a discussion with my doctor at my suggestion we added Ribavirin to my treatment. I started taking the riba 9 weeks in so I took riba for 15 of the 24 I was on treatment.

While on treatment I worked full time 40 plus hours a week and even went on a 1 week business trip to Italy to include a half day walking tour of the Vatican. Tell ya it was a bit hard to keep up especially on the stairs but I did manage.

Some people get rashes (riba rash people call it) some people have trouble controlling negative emotions (riba rage) and some others don't have much difficulty at all.

Yeah per the guidelines you should do more than just Harvoni for 12 weeks as you said either 12 weeks with riba or 24 without.

I have seen some real world date showing 12 weeks with riba was slightly better odds of cure than 24 weeks of Harvoni alone about 2-4% higher SVR rates so something to think about.

Good luck
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline Allen Cunningham

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:05:36 pm »
Hi Lynn - Thank you very much for the feedback. I will talk to the hepatologists next week and see what they recommend.

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 02:55:32 am »
Hi Allen. I did 12 weeks of harvoni+riba. It was worth it to get rid of the Hep C. And no matter how the riba affects you, you know it is of limited duration with a specific end date. So that helps you get through it.

The riba gave me anemia. My last 3 weeks of tx were tough because of that. And then it took me a very long time post treatment to recover from the anemia (4 months!). That was because I also had significant iron deficiency (unrelated to treatment), which I did not know about, and so my body had nothing to build more hemoglobin with. If you end up doing the 12 weeks of riba, try to make sure your red blood cells and hemoglobin are in high end of normal range when you start tx, not at the lowest point like mine were. And ensure that your serum ferritin (iron) is good before starting.

My other major problem with riba was riba rage and some other pretty unpleasant emotional & psychological fluctuations.

A very inconvenient riba side effect for me was the dry cough. Ribavirin enhances the cough reflex stimulation in throat, which means anything - even inhaling - can trigger it. It wasn't painful. But it made conversation and socializing difficult.

I had a brief bit of the riba rash. Was not really a problem for me. Not terribly itchy, and went away quickly.

Lynn makes a good point about success rate being slightly higher on 12 weeks harvoni+riba than on 24 weeks harvoni alone. I would want everything going for me. Do what you have to do to get cured. It's only a few weeks - no lasting damage from the drugs. And then you have the rest of your life to rebuild and recharge.

I should add that at no point during treatment was I in any pain or physical discomfort.

I will be going for my SVR24 test on Monday. :)

best,
kim
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Allen Cunningham

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:49:06 pm »
Diagnosed 8/97 with HepC
Liver Transplant 7/2004
Genotype 1b, Biopsy:12/2015: F-0, Slight Inflammation, TX Naive
v/l: ~600,000 - ~1,000,000 ALT: 26, AST: 26
Starting 12 wks Harvoni in Jan 2016

Hi Kim - Thanks for that! On Tuesday I go to UC San Fran and meet with the amazing Hepatologist who first started seeing me in '97 just after diagnosis, Dr. Norah Terrault. At that point I had Cirrhosis, decompensated liver disease, on the transplant list and life was not good.

I am not sure what she is going recommend, but whatever would be best, I will go with. I would rather do 12 weeks with both meds and get it over with rather than 6 months of Harvoni by itself.

I think for folks that had to endure Interferon with Riba, it was the Interferon that was the worst part.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.