Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 06:17:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 197
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 78
Total: 78

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bad Headaches  (Read 12751 times)

Offline sohopeful

Bad Headaches
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:50:04 pm »
Hello All,
I am new here and glad to be here.  There is so much valuable information here and everyone seems to really care for one another.  That is awesome!!!
I started Harvoni on Nov 27.  I've done just fine but in the last couple of days I noticed headaches coming on.  Last night was the worst night.  I had the worst headache of my life and I have had headaches all of my life off and on.  It was really strange because I would fall asleep and the pain would wake me up.  I did this all night waking up every 30 minutes or so.  I finally took an aspirin but it did not help at all.  At 7 am I got up and I tell you I felt like I had been on an all night drunk (I don't drink).  I was dizzy, my head was positively  throbbing, and I couldn't even open my eyes it hurt so bad.  So I went back to bed for awhile.  By 10 I was back up and luckily I did sleep some in those 3 hours.  When I got up I felt much better.  The headache was not so intense but it was doable.  I have to tell you, this was the strangest think I've ever encountered.  I treated 2 times with the killer meds few years back and I don't think I experienced this "weird" feeling.  I take my pill at 10 pm.  I'm wondering if I need to change the time I take it and how would I do that?  Would I start taking an hour earlier each evening until I reach the time I need to take it?  I also drink a lot of water - 80 - 100 ozs. per day.  Was told that water helps with the headaches.  I am geno 1a, cirrhosis stage, so I really don't want to start pain meds but I will have to do something.  I wondered if I could take Ambien at night and hopefully sleep through the headaches, and not take pain meds?  Has anyone tried this before?  Just wanting any feedback for tips to help through this.  I'm sorry this is so long but I cannot think of a better place to ask than here.  Thanks for reading.

Offline PaulG

Re: Bad Headaches
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:01:34 pm »
I got bad headaches about a week into treatment. Mine were from my blood pressure, but is now under control with meds Can't say for sure if it was from the treatment, but never had a problem until a week into the treatment. Drink lots of water. You'll win this the battle
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:48:58 am by PaulG »

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:35:15 am »
The best headache remedy is acetaminophen (Tylenol) Here is a little info from Hep's new side effect lessons:http://www.hepmag.com/articles/2512_10798.shtml#headache
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline sohopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:43:27 am »
 Hi Lucinda,
 I was told that Tylenol is the worst thing to take due to my damaged liver.  That is
 what makes it so confusing.  I don't want to take anything that could further damage
 my liver.  I was told to take Ibuprofen.  I am going to try it tonight and see how I do.     
 It is Ibuprofen PM so maybe it will help to sleep. 

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 01:03:40 am »
Actually, it is the safest thing to take IF you take as directed. Take too much and it is dangerous. Ibuprofen causes much more problems. Here is some info to read:http://www.hcvadvocate.org/news/newsLetter/2014/advocate0214.html#2

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Acetominophen.pdf
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline mdpm

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:12:22 am »
I am A1 and by some miracle got Harvoni.  I am 26 days in.  Just got second prescription then should be done.  I got a headache when I first started taking it that went away.  I felt more energetic but note,  this could be psychological as I now have hope of ridding myself of this virus that I was diagnosed with about 17 years ago.  This ppast week I got a headache that won't go away.   Tried asprin and Ibuprofin.  Headache became very intense at times so I called my Doctor(Gastro)  He gave me Tlenol 5 and I must take 3 times a day for 5 days.  He said this would break the cycle.  Head still hurts  and I'm on 3rd day.  I am wearing sunglasses in the house and my neck hurts as well. I don't usually get headaches so think its a side effect.  If it doesn't stop I will go to my regular Dr. The headache is all over the head sides, top and behind eyes. Good luck to all.

Offline BattleTheBeast

• Female, 57 - SVR12 as of 7/23/15!!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:14 am »
I am A1 and by some miracle got Harvoni.  I am 26 days in.  Just got second prescription then should be done.  I got a headache when I first started taking it that went away.  I felt more energetic but note,  this could be psychological as I now have hope of ridding myself of this virus that I was diagnosed with about 17 years ago.  This ppast week I got a headache that won't go away.   Tried asprin and Ibuprofin.  Headache became very intense at times so I called my Doctor(Gastro)  He gave me Tlenol 5 and I must take 3 times a day for 5 days.  He said this would break the cycle.  Head still hurts  and I'm on 3rd day.  I am wearing sunglasses in the house and my neck hurts as well. I don't usually get headaches so think its a side effect.  If it doesn't stop I will go to my regular Dr. The headache is all over the head sides, top and behind eyes. Good luck to all.

I don't think it would hurt to go and have a doctor examine you. These are very strong medications and we are all reacting differently at certain times as our bodies fight the infection. It could be as simple as dehydration which can cause awful headaches.  Just follow your heart and head and don't hesitate to go get checked!!

Feel better!!

~Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,
Week 4 VL <15 AST 20 - ALT 27 Bili .9
Week 9 - switched to Harvoni VL UD!! AST 20 ALT 19

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
SVR 12 is 7/23/15 ACHIEVED!!! 
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline Bucky

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:56:21 am »
Hi Lucinda,
 I was told that Tylenol is the worst thing to take due to my damaged liver.  That is
 what makes it so confusing.  I don't want to take anything that could further damage
 my liver.  I was told to take Ibuprofen.  I am going to try it tonight and see how I do.     
 It is Ibuprofen PM so maybe it will help to sleep.

Hello sohopeful,
It is mega doses of Tylenol & Booze that caused liver damage. MY IDS said flatly to not take aspirin or  ibuprofen because they can irritate you stomach. When I started treatment and had headaches I took a single 325mg generic Tylenol and that was enough. As I am sure you know, they have Tylenol PM.
Are you drinking lots of water? I don't mean a few glasses but at least eight a day or more a day.
And by all means see your doctor if you feel like you need to.   
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline sohopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:11:26 pm »
Bucky,
How bad were your headaches? I am not sure 325 mg Tylenol will touch this monster I have.  I have a dr appt. this week and will certainly ask him about it as well as what Battle the Beast said about Tylenol 5.  I've never heard of Tylenol 5 but gonna ask. 

I drink plenty of water - 80 to 100 oz water every day.  I had read prior to starting that to ward off headaches drink lots of water, so it can't be that. 
It is just strange.  I take my Harvoni at 10pm and by 2 -3 am the headache starts and is so intense, I mean intense. I walk, I rock, I massage my head, I put pressure on my head with my hands at the point where it is so intense.  The headaches are on one side of my head, not all over.  Last night it was the left front, the night before it was the right back.  When I get up the headache is still there but not as intense.  I have it now but I can function.  See how weird this is?  I sound like I'm crazy but I am not making this up, it is real.  I tolerate pain well, but this is maxed to the fullest.

I don't know if changing the time I take my pill would help  or not.  And if I did change the time, do I have to do it steps or just do it.  I was thinking of taking the pill at 5pm and by 9pm the headaches will probably start.  The most intense pain lasts for 3 to 4 hours so that would put me hopefully getting to sleep around 1am.  That means I would drop my time from 10 pm back to 5 pm.  Can I do this in one day or should I do it in steps?  Any advise is helpful.  Thanks and sorry for being so long.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 01:34:20 pm »
Bucky,
How bad were your headaches? I am not sure 325 mg Tylenol will touch this monster I have.  I have a dr appt. this week and will certainly ask him about it as well as what Battle the Beast said about Tylenol 5.  I've never heard of Tylenol 5 but gonna ask. 

I drink plenty of water - 80 to 100 oz water every day.  I had read prior to starting that to ward off headaches drink lots of water, so it can't be that. 
It is just strange.  I take my Harvoni at 10pm and by 2 -3 am the headache starts and is so intense, I mean intense. I walk, I rock, I massage my head, I put pressure on my head with my hands at the point where it is so intense.  The headaches are on one side of my head, not all over.  Last night it was the left front, the night before it was the right back.  When I get up the headache is still there but not as intense.  I have it now but I can function.  See how weird this is?  I sound like I'm crazy but I am not making this up, it is real.  I tolerate pain well, but this is maxed to the fullest.

I don't know if changing the time I take my pill would help  or not.  And if I did change the time, do I have to do it steps or just do it.  I was thinking of taking the pill at 5pm and by 9pm the headaches will probably start.  The most intense pain lasts for 3 to 4 hours so that would put me hopefully getting to sleep around 1am.  That means I would drop my time from 10 pm back to 5 pm.  Can I do this in one day or should I do it in steps?  Any advise is helpful.  Thanks and sorry for being so long.

Wow, mine were not that bad but I feel your pain. Are you having trouble sleeping on it? If sleep is not a problem then might take it before bed so hopefully you will sleep through the headache. My HIV+ friends do this with Atripla to avoid the SEs. I made an eight hour jump in one day with my pill time to allow me to sleep better. I told my IDS and she said no big deal.
Bucky
I HAVE SLAYED THE DRAGON.....CURED SVR24!

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 01:38:22 pm »
Hi Sohopeful,

I didn't suggest Tylenol 5, not even sure what it is! I would suggest maybe some essential oils to help keep you calm when the pain hits. IF you can figure this out I'd love to hear what you did for it.

Hope they either go away or your doctor can offer some suggestions.

Mel~
~Mel~
Hep C, Type 1, 10/11  viral load 8,238,340, AST-60, ALT-57 Bili .6  Stage 4 cirrhosis,

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

Offline sohopeful

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 02:04:37 pm »
Mel,

My bad....I wasn't paying attention.  Mdpm talked about tylenol 5.  Sorry.  Yes, I will continue to figure this out and will post if something helps.  You mentioned essential oils.  Which ones and how do you do that?  I'm interested.

sohopeful

Offline BattleTheBeast

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 02:37:04 pm »
Hi Sohopeful

No worries on the Tylenol 5, I just never heard of it.   I started getting into essential oils about a year ago while looking for more homeopathic ways to deal with stress and depression. I don't do well on antidepressants and was in a real funk.  It's actually amazing what these oils can do for you.

I'm big on Lavendar and Tea Tree for me but different scents can help headaches, peppermint is supposed to be good for it. Here's a good link but Google essential oils and headaches and you'll be bombarded!!

http://www.nourishingtreasures.com/index.php/2013/03/29/essential-oils-101-using-essential-oils-for-headaches/

~Mel~
~Mel~

EOT date is 4/30/2015,
and SVR 24 ACHIEVED!!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.