Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:40:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55133
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 3061
  • (September 25, 2024, 11:40:40 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just Started Harvoni Treatment  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Happyness

Just Started Harvoni Treatment
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:35 am »
HCV Genotype 1a
129806 IU/ML
AST 40
ALT 37

I was diagnosed in 2005, and it was attributed to transfusions during open heart surgery for congenital heart disease in '74 & '81. Liver biopsy was negative.

Since diagnosis my GI doctor had me waiting for better treatments with fewer side effects, but having blood work done multiple times per year. I made an appointment with him as soon as I heard about Harvoni (I always had to schedule a few months out because he's in transplant surgery so much), and he discouraged me from starting treatment! He was really quite confrontational about it, and asked me if i had $100,000 to spend on treatment. When I said no, he suggested we just continue with blood work because my counts were low... but all those lab visits were breaking the bank, anyway!

I'd been a good patient. I was an occasional drinker prior to diagnosis. Once diagnosed, I cut out all alcohol, tylenol, advil, motrin and alleve to try to keep myself from getting worse. This doctor's conduct really made me sad. I went to a different practice for a second opinion, and my new GI doctor got the ball rolling during my first appointment. My insurance company quickly approved coverage, and I had my prescription three weeks later with a co-pay coupon from Gilead, so I pay $5 per fill.  Then one of my teeth broke, and I had to take antibiotics after extraction because of my heart disease, so I held off starting the Harvoni.

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and it's been invaluable in helping me understand possible side effects and keeping my hopes up. I took my first dose last evening with a meal, and so far no side effects. I would just say to everyone else, if you don't like what you're hearing, don't be afraid to seek another opinion!

Offline BubbaT

Re: Just Started Harvoni Treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:36:39 am »
I agree happiness,

Some Dr's have a big head and think they know more than everybody, but they fail to recognize, that they don't have liver disease and they are not suffering....

So I have a problem with the big head Dr's. And I would seek a Dr, that has enough compassion to recognize that it's not his job to play God with my life choices...

If he was suffering with hepc, I wonder if he would put off his own treatment?

Delaying treatment is not a good idea!
Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.