Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 07:28:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 164
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: End of Treatment Blood Draw Question  (Read 7338 times)

Offline BG42

End of Treatment Blood Draw Question
« on: May 07, 2015, 03:26:41 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I finished my 8 week treatment of Harvoni on 4/25/15. Pre-treatment my VL was 4.6 million.

My 4 week labs showed that my VL was <12. At the time, my doc sent me a letter saying it was "non-detectable". I was a bit confused then, but figured I had  4 weeks to go.

I received another letter a week after treatment (this passed Tuesday), in very colloquial language saying "The Hepatitis C virus is gone!".

However, I checked my labs through Labcorp, and it still shows <12, but then under that, "HCV RNA Detected".

I called the doc's office and the MA on the phone couldn't give me an explanation and is waiting for the doctor to get back to me.

My question is, if the HCV RNA is "Detected", then I am technically not cured right? I am so scared and don't want to settle for "Close enough" or "Good enough".

Is it even possible to have SVR if the RNA is present?

Thank you!

Offline dragonslayer

Re: End of Treatment Blood Draw Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »
Thats a really good question.  Generally, the first prize  in vl testing is Undetected... Gilead in their trials, however, used any value beneath their test's lower level of quantification which, in their test, was 25 to deem SVR.   Now, I havent found any information to explain whether this result was an Undetected <= 25 or Detected <= 25.. All Ive read and was told by them was that a value of < 25 was used. 

On-treatment blood tests are not useful for predicting SVR.. However post treatment tests are. My calculations are that now, you are about 2 wks post treatment.. Generally, 4 wks post treatment is  used as a first measure for SVR with about a 98.5% certainty as to eventual svr... 12 wks post treatment and that score rises to about 99.8% predictive.  So, quite honestly, in your case, its too early to tell.  However, keep in mind that some folks here tested Detected with a low level score at end of treatment, and went on to achieve SVR at the 12 wk mark.. So have faith.
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
Re: End of Treatment Blood Draw Question
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:34:26 pm »
The answer to your question, "Is it even possible to have SVR if the RNA is present?" is yes. However, only time will tell. The only way you will know the answer is to wait until post-treatment week 12. One possible indicator of the durability of your post-treatment week 4 results is if your ALT has increased a great deal - this would make me less optimistic. But as for the rest, yes, you could still have an SVR, even with those results - I've seen it a few times, and they all ended in an SVR. Please keep in touch with the final outcome. In the meantime, be sure not to drink and give your liver every chance of finishing this job. Also, try not to let every ache and pain scare you that hep C is coming back. I know someone in exactly your shoes, and she was 100% sure her hep C had returned when she felt fatigued, and thankfully, she was wrong.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.