Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 02:06:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 274
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: lab tests  (Read 6279 times)

Offline deacon

lab tests
« on: August 09, 2015, 04:56:36 am »
im half way thru with 12 weeks harvoni. how many labs or blood tests should i have got. seems like some people on this forum get a test every week. i had one in june, started harvoni on july 3rd did 1 blood test last week and dr said hepc was udetected. i end treatment in sept. i asked him if he was giving me another test. but he said it would be in december. and i think the reason why is because they originally told me i was getting 24 weeks harvoni ,which is what the doctor originally wrote the script for but my insurance denied me and i won the appeal and then the insurancr said i was authorized for 12 weeks instead of 24. . any ways it seems like alot of people here get alot of blood tests and i just wanna make sure i at least get another in sept. so i can know this virus is gone.let me know what you think. thanks and good luck

Offline gnatcatcher

Re: lab tests
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:34:50 am »
So, you were tested before treatment and after you'd taken 4 weeks of Harvoni and will be tested again 12 weeks after you finish treatment? Those are the most important times for tests. Based on what I've read, many doctors also test at end of treatment and/or 4 weeks after the end of treatment. A few test even more frequently.

Congratulations on being undetected after 4 weeks. Had that not been the case, your doctor may have wanted another test fairly soon. (If after 4 weeks of Harvoni my viral load was still detected, I would have been tested again two weeks later.)

The test you'll get in December (presumably 12 weeks after you finish treatment) is the definitive one. If the virus is undetected then, you're considered cured, which is extremely likely based on Harvoni's track record.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline deacon

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 05:49:31 am »
thanx

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:54:32 am »
The CNP/DNP who supervises Harvoni treatment here is following the same testing schedule as your doctor: labs after 4 weeks of treatment, and if no virus is detected then, no more labs until 12 weeks after the end of treatment. She says the only patients she's ever had who relapsed from undetected were one person who had had a liver transplant and another with an unusual complication. (I just saw her this morning to go over my 4 week lab results.)
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline Bree

• "Today is a good day for a great day!"
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:05:00 pm »
Happy to see this post.  My doctor did labs at 4 weeks into treatment (UND). I'm now  6 weeks into 12 weeks Harvoni.  He wants me to do next labs at EOT .  Then next labs at 24 weeks EOT.  I said I also wanted at 12 weeks EOT which he will do since I requested it. 

So my labs would look like:

End of week 4 on treatment
EOT
(+12 weeeks EOT per my request)
24 weeks EOT

I see lots who have labs every 4 weeks while on treatment.  Since I'm not on ribavirin and all looks good, I guess it's not necessary?
Dx 1997 Geno 1a
2002-2003 PEG Intron/riba (48 wks) respond/relapsed
Pre-Harvoni - Viral Load: 13.5 M - Log 7.1
Fibrosure Score F1-2  Pre-Treatment:  AST 73 / ALT 88

7/6/15 Started Harvoni (12 weeks)
10/5/15 HCV NOT DETECTED (One week post EOT)
11/9/15 NOT DETECTED!!! (6 wk post)
12/21/15 NOT DETECTED (12 wk post) 
3/14/16  NOT DETECTED (24 week post)AST 26 ALT 18
SVR ACHIEVED!!! 
CURED YES!!!

Offline gnatcatcher

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:46:19 pm »
Thanks, Bree. I had the impression that I could have asked the Hep C CNP/DNP for (and gotten) EOT and/or 24 weeks post-Tx labs in addition to 12 weeks post-Tx. It just so happens my PCP's lab request for my 6-month F/U includes a VL, ALT, AST, etc.  I'll be taking those tests when I have only 15 more (of 84) Harvoni pills left, so that's fairly near EOT. My PCP may very well decide to get a VL (he'll certainly get ALT, AST, etc.) for my annual physical, which I should be able to take right at 24 weeks post-Tx.

If someone is on Ribavirin, more frequent tests seem to be common. This could be because the amount of Ribavirin may need adjustment.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.