Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 05:58:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 176
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Raspy voice as well as cough on Ribavirin?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline dragonslayerinprogress

Raspy voice as well as cough on Ribavirin?
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:04:00 pm »
Starting my 7th week. Still have not gotten results on VL. First one was coded wrong. By the time I found out, I only had a week or two until next test which got done on Monday.
I have had the flu for 3 weeks with horrible chest cold and head cold moving in and out but all that's left now is a cough.
I have noticed that my voice is also raspy. I know that this could be a side effect to the drug. Anyone else experience it and if so, does it go away after treatment?
Thanks
Geno 2b
dx in 1990, 52 years old
Origin: unsure. Might have been infected at birth
Tx Naive
Pre tx labs 12/7/15
VL 1,315,890 6.119
ALT 188
AST 161
Started tx Solvadi/Ribavirin on 1/19/16
4 weeks undetected
8 weeks undetected
12 weeks undetected
16 weeks undetected
20 weeks undetected
24 weeks...no testing
EOT 4 wks UNDETECTED
ALT 34
AST 42
EOT 8 wks- UNDETECTED
ALT 38
AST 50
Platelets 49

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
Re: Raspy voice as well as cough on Ribavirin?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:36:30 pm »
Hi dragonslayerinprogress. Congrats on reaching week 7! A dry cough is a very typical side effect of ribavirin, and it does go away once treatment ends. I have read that ribavirin "enhances cough reflex stimulation". So even inhaling or taking a bite of food can trigger the dry cough. The cough was my most annoying side effect, although it did no actual damage. But it made it very hard for me to converse with people.

good luck!
kim

Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline dragonslayerinprogress

Re: Raspy voice as well as cough on Ribavirin?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:19:27 am »
Thanks Kim. Blood work is slowly coming in. ALT is within normalcrange, AST is slightly elevated at 47 if I remember right. Bilirubin is down from 1.9 at start to 1.4. Inr is 1.3. Albumin will not budge and has been 3.1 all along. Platelets have gone from 58 to 47, to 57, and now 59,000. The cough is the worst by far and the treatment so far has been fairly easy. Wish I started this in April but needed support from family. No one wants to do it alone. How wrong I was. I am still doing it alone with a part time husband that won't help, yells when dinner isn't made or if it's started late. Sita in front of idiot box all day. Thank God he is only here Saturday and Sunday but he's  normally gone golfing or 4 wheelING with his Co workers. First thing is get me healthy, 2nd...find me a lawyer :-)
Geno 2b
dx in 1990, 52 years old
Origin: unsure. Might have been infected at birth
Tx Naive
Pre tx labs 12/7/15
VL 1,315,890 6.119
ALT 188
AST 161
Started tx Solvadi/Ribavirin on 1/19/16
4 weeks undetected
8 weeks undetected
12 weeks undetected
16 weeks undetected
20 weeks undetected
24 weeks...no testing
EOT 4 wks UNDETECTED
ALT 34
AST 42
EOT 8 wks- UNDETECTED
ALT 38
AST 50
Platelets 49

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.