Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:52:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6309
  • Latest: Vicki
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 111
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 82
Total: 82

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harvoni and Polycythemia  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Scotty-48

Harvoni and Polycythemia
« on: July 18, 2016, 01:40:59 pm »
 I started the 12 week Harvoni treatment in late August 2015 . On September 12th , I had a massive heart attack . Luckily , I was airlifted to Tucson , AZ , and saved by an amazing cardiologist . I had one totally blocked artery and another 75 percent blocked .     Stents were put in place , I went home , and resumed the Harvoni regimen .
  Thankfully , the Harvoni worked . Hep C is Gone !!
     I am very grateful ! For that , and the fact I survived the heart attack , with no heart damage !
   But ......Question . After I started taking Harvoni , I developed Polycythemia , the over production of red blood cells . There were no signs of this in bloodwork I had done 2 months prior to taking the Harvoni .
   Don't get me wrong . I am Very grateful for the Harvoni, and to be alive .
 But the sequence of events makes me wonder if the Harvoni had something to do with the over production of red blood cells , and possibly the heart attack . ?????
  Anybody else had a similar reaction to the treatment ??

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Harvoni and Polycythemia
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:29:09 pm »
I would let Gilead know and the FDA about this so hopefully they can investigate this possible side effect. They need to know about this.

From the Harvoni prescribing information sheet:

To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact Gilead Sciences, Inc. at 1-800-GILEAD-5 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline coastal girl

Re: Harvoni and Polycythemia
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:05:39 pm »
Here is an interesting article on HCV and atherosclerosis.
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/hepatitis_c_infection_may_fuel_heart_risk
I had lost 1/2 my vision in one of my eyes due to a 90% blockage in my carotid artery. This was before starting Harvoni.  Doctor couldn't figure out why at my age, 54 at the time,and great Cholesterol levels..he said he didn't believe the HCV had anything to do with the condition.  A few weeks later this article was release by John Hopkins.
Be your own health advocate!!!!!
Doctors know a lot about about there own speciality...not everything!
Grateful for Harvoni!  25 week SVR!!!
8/6/15
1a, shear wave elastography F4
ast-114 alt-80,
viral load 5,941,282

Start Harvoni 9/3/15
ast-131 ast-97, viral load 12,997,415

9/29/15 4 week labs VL 64
ast 34 alt 17
11/25/15  12 wk EOT Undetected!
AST 29 ALT 17  Albumin 3.8 Bil .06

12 week PostTX UNDETECTED!!!
AST 33 ALT 20  Bil. 0.9 Albumin 3.9

25 week Post Tx  UNDETECTED

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.