Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:12:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 209
  • Online Ever: 3061
  • (September 25, 2024, 11:40:40 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has anyone tried quercetin to help in treating HCV?  (Read 12953 times)

Offline thecommodore

Has anyone tried quercetin to help in treating HCV?
« on: May 15, 2014, 04:40:56 pm »
While I await my test results to see if, in fact, I am infected (and if so, how bad), I've been researching treatment alternative, particularly herbal ones, and I came across an NIH study that suggested quercetin could help suppress HCV viral production.  Has anyone tried this, and if so, what were your results?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22239530

Offline Mike

Re: Has anyone tried quercetin to help in treating HCV?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:28:18 pm »
Hi TC,

I've researched Hep-C treatments for over 15 years and have not found a single herbal or alternative method that effectively treats this disease.

Over the years, I've read countless stories from people trying alternative treatments, herbal supplements and so on with no measurable results other then the disease continuing to progress.

Simply put, if there was such a treatment, it would spread like wildfire through the Hep-C community and we would all be using it. Unfortunately there's not.

However, with the current generation of antiviral drugs (which arouse from  decades of clinical and pharmacological research of the HIV virus) the cure rate for Hep-C has reached the 90% threshold for most of us. This is a true miracle!

Lastly, I'm not trying to be a Danny Downer; but Hep-C is a pernicious and progressive disease that can lead to serious health concerns, including liver failure and death.

Hep-C needs to be treated with protocols that clinical work. And currently there are no alternative treatments, including herbal remedies that effectively treat, or slow the progression, of this disease.

Hep-C is what it is - a pernicious virus that has proven to be difficult to clear.

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »
Ditto on what Mike said. I am a huge fan of alternative medicine, and now I pretty much stay away from most herbs and supplements except for some teas to help nurse a cold or belly ache.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline Mike

Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline lporterrn

• LucindaPorterRN
    • LucindaPorterRN
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:48:48 pm »
Good info Mike. I want to add that milk thistle should not be taken with Olysio. I am not a fan of taking supplements with the new direct-acting antivirals such as Olysio or Sovaldi. Many herbs are metabolized on the same pathway as many meds.
Lucinda Porter, RN
1988 Contracted HCV
1997 Interferon nonresponder
2003 PEG + ribavirin responder-relapser
2013 Cured (Harvoni + ribavirin clinical trial)
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/lucindakporter

Offline bh4sons

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:56:25 pm »
Is it OK to take milk thistle post S/O treatment?  I'm about 6 weeks post treatment.

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:02:44 pm »
It should be; but I would check with your doctor (or better yet, your pharmacist).

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Cured July 2014

Offline donk

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:26:23 am »
I took milk thistle after relapsing after pegintron/rib in 02 until last week. Liver tests were always normal but I had the HepC virus and have no doubt that the virus was doing damage to the liver. No need to take herbal magic now that the new anti viral magic is out which will in most cases kill the virus for good.

Offline Amj1951

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:34 pm »
I am very new and still am learning about Hep C and the Harvoni I started today but I would like to make a comment about Milk Thistle. I always wondered about it because (Don't laugh) my basset hound had a lot of issues with her liver for a while and my vet put her on it and within 4-5 of months she was perfectly normal... so I brought it up to my liver doctor wondering if it could 'add' something for me. She told me to not mix the Milk thistle with the Harvoni.

I don't know if she's right or not but I would think the less we put in our bodies the better off we are?
I am sorry if I butted in, but I came here yesterday to find the courage to start the pills and I found what I needed and I am ok!

thecommodore, I hope you find out you are negative : )

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.