Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:09:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55133
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 167
  • Online Ever: 3061
  • (September 25, 2024, 11:40:40 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 167
Total: 167

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting Harvoni, ExpressScripts woes  (Read 8549 times)

Offline flotcho

Starting Harvoni, ExpressScripts woes
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:11:31 pm »
Hi folks, my first post here, but I've been reading and gaining a lot of knowledge from this forum for a while.
I was diagnosed back in '04, and a biopsy at that time showed no severe damage, so my doctor and I agreed to delay treatment for a year or two. During that time, I decided that the treatment was going to be as bad as the disease, so I delayed it until now. About 2013 I started really feeling bad, losing energy and appetite, and so went in for testing. An endoscopy revealed to my doctor that I now have cirrhosis.
My doctor prescribed Harvoni in early December of 2014. My insurance through my employer, BC/BS and ExpressScripts, wanted additional testing, they said. What they really wanted was to delay until after the first of the year. Needless to say, they declined coverage for Harvoni, and "recommended" Vikera Pak. Either of these treatments would have required a 12 week course for me, but in my case, because I am genotype 1B, the Vikera Pak would also require ribavirin.
After talking with ExScripts on the phone numerous times, and receiving another letter declining coverage for Harvoni, I got a call from the local specialty pharmacy saying my doctor had approved Vikera Pak.
I contacted Gilead SupportPath, and explained my situation to them,and sent them the admissions form and notices from ExScripts declining coverage. Meanwhile, I got a notice from ExScripts questioning coverage for the ribavirin that was prescribed with the VikeraPak! (They did not actually decline coverage, but were using their typical stalling tactics.)
I saw my GI on 3/18, and we agreed that I could not afford to wait much longer for treatment - we agreed if I could not get covered for Harvoni within a month, I would take the Vikera Pak. When on Thurs. 3/19, I checked my voice mail, and there was a message from Support Path saying that they were going to cover me for 12 weeks of Harvoni! I called them on Friday 3/20 to confirm, and make sure I didn't need to do anything else, and they said it was already in the mail to my doctor's office! Wow.
So, it looks like starting this week, I'll be joining the ranks of those on the road to recovery.
I apologize for the length of this post, but you know, first post and all that. There is actually quite a bit more to this saga, but I'm leaving it out for the sake of brevity. One other note - I work for a very large corporation, who provides my insurance, and I WILL be contacting some people way up on the corporate food chain about their choice in insurance/prescription providers. I'm very thankful that I am going to be covered for treatment, but it just infuriates me that, especially given what I pay for my coverage, my insurance company is so sorry and unethical.
But, aside from that, I'm a very happy man!  :)

Thanks to all of you for this very supportive forum.

Offline BubbaT

Re: Starting Harvoni, ExpressScripts woes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:58:03 pm »
Hey flotcho,

Welcome to the forum of the recovering!  We are in this together fighting to live, and
Glad to support you on the way, you will notice at the bottom of the post is a signature line that gives you our rank and serial number! Lol. How tuff we are!

But, we are a determined bunch so grab a chair and hang on!  Glad you finally got some meds to fight back with...

Warrior friend...
Age 57 male
Infected late 70's
Diagnosed 95
1a, 2 prev biopsy 95, 2004
Ct 2007, 2015
Treatment Naive
F4 A3. Fibrosure/ CT 2-5-15. Ammonia 222
VL 2.2 mil.
Started Harvoni  3-3-15. 12weeks, finished 5-26-15
4 week VL undetected
12 week EOT undetected

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:09:11 am »
>>but in my case, because I am genotype 1B, the Vikera Pak would also require ribavirin. <<

Flotcho, if Im not mistaken, its the Genotype 1A which requires Riba with the Viekira Pak.  The gt 1b does not.  I believe the reason you need Riba is not your genotype but your cirrhosis.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:11:36 am by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline SIXFOOTFOUR

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:28:31 pm »
I went through the same problem with Express Scripts, denied and then tried to get me Viekira Pak. My Dr followed up and I ended up getting harvoni from a different pharmacy and a phone call from express scripts that it was approved so I started 3 weeks ago! If I was denied 1 more time I think I would have started the Viekira since the success rate is almost the same just more pills a day and a chance of more side effects and followup labs than the Harvoni

For any of you that have Express Scripts they want to approve Viekira because they worked out a discount pricing but if you are F3 or above stay with it , it can still be approved by Express Scripts and they will have it filled by Accredo their specialty provider.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:30:46 pm by SIXFOOTFOUR »
Sixfootfour
* Contracted Hep C 1971 post transfusion (non A - non
   B Hep dx in 1971)
* Dx as Hep C early 2000
* Geno 1b
* Stage 3-4 Fibrosis by Biopsy and FibroScan
* VL at start of TX > 6 mil
* ALT/AST High normal range at start of Tx 
* Started Harvoni 12 week course 3/6/15 -
   completion 5/29/15
* Undetected at 6 weeks on Tx
* ALT/AST Mid normal range at 6 week blood test
* Completed 12 weeks (84 pills) 6/28/15
* Undetected at 11 weeks & 6 months EOT

Offline flotcho

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:36:54 pm »
Paul, I re-checked AbbVie's dosing info, and you are correct - it is the cirrhosis that , in my case, requires the riba. That is not what I remember seeing on their site a few months ago, but my memory a'int so good either. Anyway, I should have Harvoni here within the next day or two, just waiting on the call from my doctor's office.

Offline flotcho

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 12:26:14 pm »
Picked up my first four weeks Harvoni yesterday, and started treatment this morning. I have a good friend who just finished 12 weeks on Harvoni, and got the this past Tuesday that he is virus free! Hopefully, I'll be getting similar news sometime around the end of June!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.