Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 08:48:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 164
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Toss your brush during/ after treatment  (Read 10060 times)

Offline Maddawg46

Toss your brush during/ after treatment
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:32:10 am »
Just dawned on me to toss my tooth brush and some other stuff.  The virus lives weeks on inadamate objects.  So, to be safe I'm tossing my brush and also fish hooks that I already have tied on to fishing rods.  Better safe than sorry and have the virus reintroduced back into my system.
I just finished 12 weeks of Harvoni/ Ribavirin.
It's a battle.  Your at war.  Better get tough.  The virus is, so you better get the warrior mentality

Offline rockee

Re: Toss your brush during/ after treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:00:19 pm »
That is an interesting thought.  Perhaps treat toothbrush, electric or other with hydrogen peroxide daily.

Offline Maddawg46

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:04:18 am »
I heard peroxide, alcohol, and even bleach won't kill the virus.
It's a battle.  Your at war.  Better get tough.  The virus is, so you better get the warrior mentality

Offline Pete

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:21:45 am »
Not even bleach? You sure about that?  If bleach don't kill the virus, I wonder what does the hygienist uses to clean scalars after a thorough deep cleaning.  I doubt they get tossed out. Maybe treated with high temp for some period?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:27:42 am by Pete »

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:45:29 am »
From the CDC FAQ for the public about Hep c

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm

How should blood spills be cleaned from surfaces to make sure that Hepatitis C virus is gone?
Any blood spills — including dried blood, which can still be infectious — should be cleaned using a dilution of one part household bleach to 10 parts water. Gloves should be worn when cleaning up blood spills.

How long does the Hepatitis C virus survive outside the body?
The Hepatitis C virus can survive outside the body at room temperature, on environmental surfaces, for up to 3 weeks.

For the dentist they use an autoclave with a special cleaning solution. An autoclave uses huge pressure which allows temps much higher than the normal boiling point of water to be used to sterilize dental as well as other medical tools used for surgery and other medical procedures
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline GLCII

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:24:05 am »
I've been doing this now for almost 6 weeks. I went to the dollar store and bought 4 of the Reach 3 toothbrush packs for $2.75 a pack. Also bought 2 of the Gillette 4 pack disposable Razors. I think it's a Great Idea!!!

When I did emergency response, we used bleach & water to clean up blood spills.

If anyone remembers when HIV became prevalent back in the mid 80's and early 90's there was a commercial on at the time that told anyone who uses and shares needles to draw bleach in to the syringe between uses.
Pre Tx (VL 12043488) ALT 52/ AST 39
Harvoni Start Date 03/12
2 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Detected, less than 15 IU/mL. ALT 19 / AST 19
4 Weeks in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 21 / AST 18
12 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 17 / AST 19
--------------------------------------------------------------
Post 12 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 19 (Undetected)
Post 24 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 15 (Undetected)

Offline Maddawg46

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 12:36:34 pm »
Do you really want to take that chance for the price of a tooth brush?  Not me.  So how are you going to feel after Six months and they retest you, and the virus came back.
After someone told me about tossing my brush.........I'd feel like a real dum ass!  Why take the risk for $3.  This brush thing came to me in the middle of the night when I woke up.  Mm........interesting.  My brush is in the trash!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.