Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 11:32:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re-infecting ourselves???  (Read 12183 times)

Offline janne325

Re-infecting ourselves???
« on: May 04, 2015, 11:23:28 pm »
I am new here and was approved today for 8 weeks Harvoni.  I am still in shock the procedure was so fast and all paid for.  I am 66 female with 1b under 6 million treatment naïve and have been living with this for 11 years. 
I am so upset to hear of relapse/detection of others and so very sorry.
I raised concern with my Dr. that there are no guidelines!  IF WE CAN INFECT OTHERS WITH OUR TOOTHBRUSHES, RAZORS, ETC., WE CAN CERTAINLY RE-INFECT OURSELVES.  My first inclination is to sterilize everything by soaking all personal items in Clorox (1part Clorox to 9 parts water) for 20 minutes and starting over with fresh new washcloths or disposable cloths, toothbrushes, etc, bath sponges, manicure products, makeup, etc.  and then keeping everything sterile all throughout treatment.  My mouth bleeds sometimes when I brush my teeth, always when I get my teeth cleaned.  I work outside in my garden and get scratches on my legs and arms sometimes and sometimes cut my finger a little when I slice food in the kitchen.  I live alone and don't cook for anyone on purpose.  I am seriously wondering if people are relapsing because they have somehow re-infected  themselves???  Maybe a nail clipper that had some blood on it? or a handkerchief?  I don't know.  It just freaks me out at the possibility.  I think it is very real that this is something we all need to pay attention to and sterilize our environment for our own safety.  Wipe everything down with Clorox that could possibly have been exposed to our own blood.  Also, should we take vitamins and other supplements or not take them to put less work on the liver?  It makes sense to eat as healthy as possible and organic and avoid foods like red meat that is hard for the liver to digest. Does anyone know of any detailed guidelines on how NOT to re-infect ourselves?  Would like to hear what you all have to say.  Thanks,  JJ

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
Re: Re-infecting ourselves???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 02:59:42 am »
Hi janne and welcome

Some are changing out their stuff periodically but there really isn't any evidence to indicate this is a concern.

Even in a household if someone accidentally should use your tooth brush it is really a small risk.

There aren't really any guidelines as to reinfection as it really is not a major concern.

Possibly you could ask your doctor for guidance on the concern.

I can guarantee that not every single person in the clinical trials went to extreme measures to avoid reinfection and I suspect most likely most did not do anything special yet 98% were cured.

Bath sponges, make up and handkerchiefs are not known means of transmission to anyone. Hep c requires blood to blood contact so if a sponge or make up had a microscopic amount of blood you would have to some how get that blood into your blood stream. If hep c was that easy to catch the would world would have hep c where in the U.S. for example the percent infected is about 2.5%

Not sure how you figure getting scratched working in the yard could give you hep c or cutting yourself with a knife.

As far as meds on treatment and especially supplements most of us are avoiding taking anything to avoid interfering with treatment so if you want to take anything you should ask your doctor about it.

The liver does not actually digest food that is handled by the stomach and intestines. Some are concerned about excess protein for those with cirrhosis as there are some who believe protein can increase the possibility of hepatic encephalopathy while others medical professionals feel nutrition is important in end stage liver disease and don't recommend any protein restriction.

Just breath you will be fine.

If it make you feel better buy some cheep tooth brushes and disposable razors it is only 8 weeks we are talking about here. Fifty six days and done.
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline coloradogirl

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:37:03 am »

I found this info I posted before on here somewhere.  I replace my toothbrush and use a new razor, and am mindful of this idea of hygiene. That being said, even if you were a phlebotomist and you stabbed yourself with an infected needle, you would have about a 5% chance of infection. There is also, no discernable correlation, that it can be transmitted through sex.  Good news, huh?

How long can the virus live outside the body, and what kills it?
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/How_long.pdf

Personal Care
www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/personal_care.pdf

Hope that helps to ease your mind.
HCV 1a diag 2002
1st tx 2004 null responder
2nd tx 2010 clinical trial relapsed
Last biopsy 2010 F2-F3
Fibrosure inconclusive some parameters out of range
Abdominal Ultrasound 7/2015 - No sign of Cirrhosis
Pretreatment  vl 580,000
Started Harvoni 3/2/2015 EOT: 5/24/2015
4th week 3/27/2015 vl < 5.3 Undetected
8th week 4/23/2015 vl <5.3 Undetected
12 week EOT  5/28/2015 vl <5.3 Undetected
4wk after tx 6/26/2015 vl <5.3 Undetected
12wk after tx 8/19/2015 vl<15 Undetected!!!
I'm Cured! Yes!

Offline janne325

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:28:42 am »
Thanks Coloradogirl.  That is what I was looking for and to me it is pretty daunting.  My concern is that my Dr. office does not have a hand out that states all those statistics found on the fact sheets.  Some people may not know or take protective measures.  I would think that when we are in treatment and our bodies are fighting this off we would be particularly vulnerable to re-infection.  Since I receive my Harvoni in 2 days I was up half the night throwing away things and collecting items to be disinfected.  I certainly want to give myself the best chance possible.  I hope the 8 weeks is enough and yes, I am very grateful it is a short time, but want a completely disinfected environment to start my new life in without constantly being concerned with contracting it again.

Offline Debula

• "Your body hears everything your mind says"
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:42:07 am »
Well for the 8 weeks you will be on Harvoni, even if there was a chance that you re-infect yourself, the Harvoni would be there killing the virus
If I was worried about getting re-infected I would change out toothbrushes and razors as soon as I was done with treatment and showing undetected.  Or start switching them out at the first time I saw an UND
But how often would I change them after that?  The virus(God forbid) could come  back between the UND and the next time I switched toothbrushes.
We should be cautious but not go crazy about it.  Stressing like that is not good for us either
Good luck with your journey
wishing you and all SVR
80's DX: NonA,B
Non responder to Interferon
3/6/2015-GT 1a
VL-1920000 IU/mL
FibroSURE: Fibrosis stage F4 (0.79)
                  Necroinflammat activity A3 Severe (0.75)
AST 88,  ALT 120, Platelets 73
4/16/2015-Started Harvoni (24 weeks)
5/13/2015-4 weeks AST 26, ALT 36 
5/22/2015-5 weeks  VL UND
6/17/2015-9 weeks  VL UND AST 28 ALT 40
7/31/2015-15 weeks VL UND AST 27 ALT 39
9/22 Diagnosed with HCC
10/1-EOT
10/29-SVR4
12/23-SVR12
I AM HEPC FREE! :)

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 12:50:00 pm »
I changed my tooth brush once that's it

I doubt the people in the clinical trials did anything different. There is no protocol for this. Some have asked their doctors and their doctors said it isn't necessary

But what ever you think you need to do

Best of luck to you
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

Offline davidsconfused

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:53:09 am »
I gave in to my paranoia somewhat and before I started Harvoni I bought a bulk pack of toothbrushes ($11 for 144 at Amazon) and and a bulk back of razor blades ($10 at Amazon) and didn't use my electric razor while taking Harvoni, replacing the blades once I finished. The razor blades were a freebe though as they needed replaced a long time ago anyway.

HCV is evidently just not that easy to get, barring direct blood to blood transmission. My wife and I have been married almost 38 years and I had it before we got married, but I didn't know it until two years ago so we took no precautions whatever. She had a test after I started Harvoni and had no sign of HCV.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:28:06 am by davidsconfused »

Offline janne325

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:26:39 am »
I really do appreciate the feedback and attempts to console my concerns and yes, I am paranoid about it and taking into consideration my particular circumstances of acquiring Hep C in 2004, I think will help people understand. 
I was off for a weekend with a long lost love.  He was diabetic and checking himself constantly drawing blood.  I stubbed my toe got a good size gash and blood was everywhere.  He brought me to the bathroom and I sat on the edge of the tub while he ran cold water on my foot and bandaged my toe.  At the end of the weekend he wasn't feeling well and I could almost see his skin and eyes turning yellow with jaundice.  He barely made it back to Tampa and went directly to the ER. He did tell me he had fatty liver disease, but he never told me he had Hep C.  Since I had contracted Hep B in my early 20's as a wayward child and my skin turned yellow, I went soon thereafter for routine blood work.  My Dr. called me to come in with urgency and the testing began and I found out I was infected with Hep C.  My liver functions were completely normal for all the years prior.  My life completely changed from that point on.  I have been so afraid of infecting someone that I haven't had a relationship for over 8 years.  I did try dating one guy and told him I had Hep C prior to being intimate.  When we broke up he was so angry that he called my 92 year old Mother and told her I had a sexually transmitted disease.  I never told my parents or anyone except him and medical professionals that I had this. After a couple more years, I tried again and when I told another guy, I could actually see him back away and he couldn't me out the door fast enough. (I am certain he completely disinfected his entire house after I left.) 
So, yes I am paranoid and from everything I have read, I think we need to be very conscientious.
With that all said, I am so grateful and elated that I have the opportunity to be rid of this blight on my life.  We all have our stories and have been affected in different ways and I just think we should take every precaution and give ourselves the very best chance of being cured that we can... 
I start tomorrow and have been cleaning and disinfecting everything, steamed down my shower, stocked up with new disposable toothbrushes, washcloths, soap, razors, lipstick and underwear.  My refrigerator is stocked with organic everything and lots of fruit and veggies.  I feel this is right for me.
I thank God for the opportunity to get well and will do all in my power to do it right.  "I will do my best and let Him do the rest".
God Bless..

Offline flipflops

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:38:26 am »
I am treating with Harvoni 8 week plan with 12 days to go!  I threw away my toothbrush and razor after each use, I was not taking any chances.  When I was UND at the 4 week mark, I stopped doing that.  Its a personal decision and this is what I chose to do, whatever makes you feel comfortable, go for it!  Good luck to you as you start your journey.  Mine has been a breeze, very minimal side effects, headache if I don't not stay properly hydrated, I take my dose at 9:00 pm and go to bed.  I work 40 hours a week, intense exercise 3-4 days, maintain a household and have not missed a beat, I have been very fortunate and I am truly grateful for that!

Offline Martina

• 'Everyday above ground is a good day'
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:11:54 am »
I never though about re-infecting YOURSELF , glad I seen this. Defiantly gonna do my research about Tooth brushes and razors, while still in treatment.

Offline coloradogirl

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »

I was off for a weekend with a long lost love.  He was diabetic and checking himself constantly drawing blood.  I stubbed my toe got a good size gash and blood was everywhere.  He brought me to the bathroom and I sat on the edge of the tub while he ran cold water on my foot and bandaged my toe.  At the end of the weekend he wasn't feeling well and I could almost see his skin and eyes turning yellow with jaundice.  He barely made it back to Tampa and went directly to the ER. He did tell me he had fatty liver disease, but he never told me he had Hep C.  Since I had contracted Hep B in my early 20's as a wayward child and my skin turned yellow, I went soon thereafter for routine blood work.

Dear Janne,

Did the guy ever tell you that he did have Hep C? I would suspect you received the virus from your 20s incident before thinking he transmitted it to you. I got mine that way. I had Hep B when I was 18, and I more than likely contracted Hep C, too, at the same time. They just didn't have a test to distinguish C back then.

I think you are being too hard on yourself. If we were so contagious, they would have shipped us off to an island a long time ago. 
Here is a link to what the CDC says about it:  http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm

Hugs!

HCV 1a diag 2002
1st tx 2004 null responder
2nd tx 2010 clinical trial relapsed
Last biopsy 2010 F2-F3
Fibrosure inconclusive some parameters out of range
Abdominal Ultrasound 7/2015 - No sign of Cirrhosis
Pretreatment  vl 580,000
Started Harvoni 3/2/2015 EOT: 5/24/2015
4th week 3/27/2015 vl < 5.3 Undetected
8th week 4/23/2015 vl <5.3 Undetected
12 week EOT  5/28/2015 vl <5.3 Undetected
4wk after tx 6/26/2015 vl <5.3 Undetected
12wk after tx 8/19/2015 vl<15 Undetected!!!
I'm Cured! Yes!

Offline dragonslayer

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 01:58:35 pm »
Dear Janne,

Did the guy ever tell you that he did have Hep C? I would suspect you received the virus from your 20s incident before thinking he transmitted it to you. I got mine that way. I had Hep B when I was 18, and I more than likely contracted Hep C, too, at the same time. They just didn't have a test to distinguish C back then.

I think you are being too hard on yourself. If we were so contagious, they would have shipped us off to an island a long time ago. 
Here is a link to what the CDC says about it:  http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm

Hugs!

I think thats what happened to me as well.. I caught Hep B in college, and that period in my life was the most likely time when I caught Hep C as well... I only question it because I would have thought I would have gotten a diagnosis of Non A-Non B at the same time. 
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Debula

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:56 pm »
I think thats what happened to me as well.. I caught Hep B in college, and that period in my life was the most likely time when I caught Hep C as well... I only question it because I would have thought I would have gotten a diagnosis of Non A-Non B at the same time.

Same here.  I had B and then they tested me and it came back non A / non B at the time
Later they started calling it C (I think-That was soooo long ago)
3/6/2015-GT 1a
VL-1920000 IU/mL
9/22 Diagnosed with HCC
10/1-EOT
10/29-SVR4
12/23-SVR12

Offline jpinn1952

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 07:16:17 pm »
Lynn K your response to the initial question about reinfection was very helpful.  Honestly never even considered it since I likely got Hep C from a blood transfusion in 1978. Also, been married 35 years and my wife has never caught the virus from    from me.
Treatment Start Date & #'s   5/3/2015 Viekira Pak with Rib.
VL    3,634,765
GGT   105
AST   20
ALT   25
Fib Score   0.4
Fib Stage   F1-F2
ALPHA FETOPROTEIN, TUMOR MARKER   6.8
RNA Genotype   1a

Offline janne325

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 07:27:32 pm »
I never thought that I could have had it way back when I got Hep B because my enzyme levels were in the normal range for 40 years and I was tested all the time.  They went out the roof after my contact with him.  He passed away a few years ago and never admitted to having Hep C, but I was told by a mutual friend that he did have it.  He was a real alternative medicine advocate and never went main stream at all except for emergency.  It is what it is and I was told by gastro guy that I had just contracted because levels were acute....I don't know all the medical terms.
Thanks to davidsconfused about where to order toothbrushes and razors.  I just placed my order and have quite a few here already to get started with.  That worked out great.
Got my first bottle of Harvoni today and have my Dr. appointment tomorrow to get started.  I am ready......and hopeful.
I am a little anxious as I was told it would take a while to get approved, etc. so I went ahead and booked plane tickets to visit family and friends 2 weeks from now and will be traveling for 8 days.  I wish I hadn't made the plans now as I would rather stay home and concentrate on this.  Just take it one day at a time and will be very careful.  I thought about waiting to start until I got back, but it was too long to wait...seize the moment...carpe' diem....seize the day....make hay while the sun shines, don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today...etc., etc.  I am almost giddy that I have this wonderful opportunity that I thought I would never have.
Heartfelt healing wishes for all of you and thanks for advice, the facts and trying to calm my fears........

Offline Debula

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 10:19:30 am »
Good luck with your treatment Janne325!
I am sure you will feel just fine on Harvoni and it won't make a difference on your trip.
Relax and heal.

(How long will you be in treatment?)
3/6/2015-GT 1a
VL-1920000 IU/mL
9/22 Diagnosed with HCC
10/1-EOT
10/29-SVR4
12/23-SVR12

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.