Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 07:25:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 164
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Post-treatment blood tests  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Todd4004

Post-treatment blood tests
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:13:45 am »
Hi Everyone,

It's been a tough journey but I'm well on my way to beating the beast! Of course I'm super appreciative of my gastroenterologist, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. I got an EOT-Und. during my last appointment and he told me to come back in six months for my next blood test. He wasn't at all interested in the fact that I really wanted an earlier test at either 4 or 12 weeks post-treatment. Just not knowing for so long if I've relapsed would drive me crazy.

I can get an STD test at a local health clinic for $25 that includes Hep C testing. I was thinking about going this route instead of having to argue with my gastroenterologist or go though the hassle and costs of making a new appointment with my primary care doctor. From my understanding, the STD test shows that you are either reactive or unreactive to Hep C.

Do any of you think this would be an acceptable way to check for an SVR 4 and 12?

Thanks for your replies,

Todd

2008 - first detected
2013 - telaprevir nightmare
Feb 27, 2015 - S/O + 1200 mg ribavirin - 6,000,000 VC
April 11, 2015 - Und.
May 21, 2015 - EOT - Und.

Offline dragonslayer

Re: Post-treatment blood tests
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:23:18 am »
Todd, what you want is a viral load test; what the clinic is most likely testing for is HCV antibodies, which we already know youll test positive for since all that means is the patient was exposed to HCV..   All of us will test positive for that. Its no indication at all as to what your viral load is..

Try and beseech your doctor to order you a viral load test at least at 12 wks post treatment.. After all, that is the date commonly used with Harvoni to establish SVR...6 mos is the date that used to be used with Interferon based treatments, but SVR12 is the new common marker for SVR, and he should really order you that test..  If that doesnt work, some have had luck speaking to one of the nurses and asking them for the order.

Best of luck...
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Todd4004

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:23:16 pm »
Thanks Paul,

You saved me a hassle there by not going with the STD tests. I asked my Hep doc if he would do the 4 or 12 week test and he blew up and got very nasty. I don't think I'll be going back to him for any reason. I reckon I'm going to go to my primary care doctor or maybe try to get an online physician write me up an order for a viral load test.

Thanks again...

Offline Lynn K

• Global Moderator
  • Get tested, get treated, get cured, fight Hep c!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 02:12:57 am »
You could consider if all else fails just going to a lab and paying for a hep c viral load test HCV RNA by PCR but I believe the test would cost around $400 so if you do decide to go that route call around for pricing.

Unfortunate your doctor is not willing to at least do the SVR 12.

Another less expensive option would be to get a liver function test. While not a precise indicator of virus returning last year when I relapsed I received my liver function test back first before the viral load. My ALT had returned to above normal. Again there could be different reasons for an elevation in liver enzymes but for me it probably did indicate that I has relapsed.

Good luck and wishing you SVR
Lynn
Genotype 1a
1978 contracted, 1990 Dx
1995 Intron A failed
2001 Interferon Riba null response
2003 Pegintron Riba trial med null response
2008 F4 Cirrhosis Bx
2014 12 week Sov/Oly relapse
10/14 fibroscan 27 PLT 96
2014 24 weeks Harvoni 15 weeks Riba
5/4/15 EOT not detected, ALT 21, AST 20
4 week post not detected, ALT 26, AST 28
12 week post NOT DETECTED (07/27/15)
ALT 29, AST 27 PLT 92
24 week post NOT DETECTED! (10/19/15)
44 weeks (3/11/16)  fibroscan 33, PLT 111, HCV NOT DETECTED!
I AM FREE!

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.