Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 12:57:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55133
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 166
  • Online Ever: 3061
  • (September 25, 2024, 11:40:40 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: treatment stopped thyroid function. Anyone managed to kick start it again?  (Read 11422 times)

Offline dawn2412

My thyroid stopped working during treatment with interferon and ribavirin B, and after treatment, there was some mention of trying to come off thyroxine for 6 weeks to see if the thyroid would kick back into working again. I couldn't bare to feel so ill again and have my hair come out in handfuls, if it didn't work, then normalising on medication again, so never tried it. Has anyone managed to get their thyroid working again after treatment stopped it functioning??

Offline dragonslayer

Thyroid glands often fail to provide adequate thyroid hormones especially as we get older.  Im sure many of us here as well as out there in the general population over the age of 60 are treating for hypothyroid condition totally separate from HCV treatment. 
When you say it stopped working, do you mean its producing NO thyroid hormone, or an inadequate amount?   Because if its the latter, I would ask you how you know your dysfunctioning thyroid was the direct result of treatment?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:07:07 pm by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline Mike

Interferon is a known thyroid antagonist and has whacked out many a thyroid (mine included). This has been documented, clinically for over two decades, and is why thyroid function is closely monitored when taking interferon. 

Best wishes, Mike
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:23:46 am by Mike »
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline dragonslayer

Interferon is a known thyroid antagonist and has whacked out many a thyroid (mine included). This has been documented, clinical for over two decades, and is why thyroid function is closely monitored when taking interferon. 

Best wishes, Mike

Didnt know that..  So glad folks dont have to take it anymore.  My thyroid started underproducing a few yrs ago; Ive read that HCV can have this impact, but so can aging so its hard to know what the real culprit is.  We'll see what happens to the hormone levels now that the virus is gone.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:41:21 am by dragonslayer »
Paul

DX 2008
Started Harvoni 11/26/14 for 8 wks
Completed 8 wks Harvoni 01/20/15
EOT RNA Quant result:  Detected 29
7.5 wk post tx: Detected < LLOQ(12)
11 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR12
24 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR24; AST 26; ALT 22; ALP 73
48 wk post tx: UNDETECTED SVR48; AST 18; ALT 18; ALP 70
GT 1a
vl 2.4mil
2008 bpx: Stage&Grade 0
2013 bpx: Stage&Grade: 0-1
IL28B: TT
likely infected early '70s

Offline dawn2412

I had no thyroid issues or symptoms before treatment, and was told at the hospital before treatment that there was a rare chance of it happening, as some people are affected. The treatment stopped my thyroid working effectively, and my TSH when first tested was 86, which is high, and my iron levels were also very poor, so I felt very weak and unable to do much. I was told you can try after 18 months to stop the thyroxine, to see if the thyroid will start working again, but there was no guarantee it would, so you risked feeling very poorly and unable to function while you wait to see if it would kick back into action.I didn't feel I could take the risk if it didn't.

Offline GLCII

Dawn

How's you thyroid doing now? Mine whacked out after my second Tx. It went Hyper. Instead of the Endo treating it, he radiated it. twice to kill it. Looking back I wish I wouldn't have let him do that. I think I would have rather had it treated, if possible. If your thyroid is Hypo you might want to try getting more iodine in to your diet. Pink Himalayan salt is supposed to be good or some kind of iodine substitute to jump start it possibly.
Pre Tx (VL 12043488) ALT 52/ AST 39
Harvoni Start Date 03/12
2 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Detected, less than 15 IU/mL. ALT 19 / AST 19
4 Weeks in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 21 / AST 18
12 Week in Tx Results HCV RNA Not detected. ALT 17 / AST 19
--------------------------------------------------------------
Post 12 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 19 (Undetected)
Post 24 Week EOT Tx ALT 19/ AST 15 (Undetected)

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.