Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 04:47:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55133
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 3061
  • (September 25, 2024, 11:40:40 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harvoni Success. - SX help. What Dr's won't tell you. New Group Challange  (Read 7003 times)

Offline I fightis thetitis

Hi All,

Well I guess I am also one of the lucky ones so far..
Initial labs back to today and I am Hep C Undetected. Hell yeah!
And, after four decades of "out of range," my Alt and Ast are in normal range.
AFP still out of range, but hey..I'm happy happy! Numbers below.

SX Help and Ideas. "What the Doctors could not tell me."
I have read of a few who have encountered some varied degrees of unpleasant sides.
I would like to share dietary and lifestyle changes I made that helped me to hopefully help those who are struggling.

My SX were/are headache, (gone) Fatigue,(gone) REALLY bad insomnia. (still there but not as bad)

To counter sides, below is what I cut out, and what I added to lifestyle and diet.

1. Reduced/eliminated all "added" salt and sugar. Very hard since most packaged items have both. I stopped buying chips, crackers, cereals with sugar. My cheat food is small amounts of bread.
2. Replaced with Oatmeal w/fruit/nuts EVERY morning. Since Harvoni is mostly eliminated through feces, being regular has helped helped. OATMEAL w/no added sugar, just fruit has helped.
3. Took Harvoni with meals instead of empty stomach.
4. I am addicted to sweets...so I replaced all sweets with plain greek yogurt with fresh (or thawed) berries. Berries of all kinds made a noticeable diff w/headaches for me.

Lifestyle.
1. Exercised "EVERY" day before I took Harvoni. Bike ride, Walking, sit ups, push ups, ect.
2. Deep breathing exercises after workout. Oxygenates the blood and calms the internal chatter. When I missed this step.. SX were "always" elevated.

Lastly, as a former P90x trainer and soccer coach for 12 years, I am entertaining a daily exercise and diet group "Challenge" on this forum, or poss another website.
Reply or PM me if you are interested and if enough people want to join the health challenge, I will sort out the details on how we all can join, log in daily and help keep each other accountable to build stronger bodies and regain health to help deal w/ SX.
Hopefully, we will evolve enough and this is what GI Dr's SHOULD be doing to better help their patients.

All good things,

Greg
M59  56@start of TX. date infected:1976
diagnosed 1997 - asymtomatic
Genotype 1a
AST 111 -ALT 124 - AFP -89
Viral Load 1900000 - Log 6.28
Fibro Test F4 ActiTest A3
Harvoni 24 wks - start date 11/24/15

6 Week Labs VL Undetected!
104 weeks EOT Undetected.

8/25/17 Fibrosure score 80 = F4
11/10/17 Fibroscan 7.5 mean 1.6 m/s = F2
8/2018 Ultra sound normal.

Offline gnatcatcher

Greg, way to go! -- CONGRATULATIONS!

Putting cinnamon in oatmeal adds a little pizzazz and lowers cholesterol. And if you ever get sick of oatmeal, Post Shredded Wheat 'n Bran doesn't add salt or sugar and has excellent fiber. On really cold days, I eat it hot, which tastes different than cold, adding more variety.

I agree 100% on daily exercise -- my Harvoni log was right next to my exercise log, and I didn't miss a day of either.

Keep up the good work!

Gnatty
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline I fightis thetitis

Thanks Gnatty!

Yes cinnamon! I add nuts as well. especially walnuts and raw almonds.

M59  56@start of TX. date infected:1976
diagnosed 1997 - asymtomatic
Genotype 1a
AST 111 -ALT 124 - AFP -89
Viral Load 1900000 - Log 6.28
Fibro Test F4 ActiTest A3
Harvoni 24 wks - start date 11/24/15

6 Week Labs VL Undetected!
104 weeks EOT Undetected.

8/25/17 Fibrosure score 80 = F4
11/10/17 Fibroscan 7.5 mean 1.6 m/s = F2
8/2018 Ultra sound normal.

Offline gnatcatcher

Yup, I'm a big raw almond fan and mix it up with the other tree nuts. BTW, I checked the Shredded Wheat 'n Bran box: it says 0 sodium and 0 sugar. When I travel, I carry some cinnamon with me and tell the server "no brown sugar" when I order oatmeal for breakfast. I also carry raw nuts and high-fiber cereal as munchies.
9/29/71 transfusions
HCV genotype 1a
7/09/15-9/30/15 Harvoni

Before treatment:
Viral Load 9,490,582
FibroScan 19.5 kPa [F4]
ALT 262
AST 217
ALP 183

Most recent:
VL still UNDETECTED (SVR 102)
FibroScan 7.6 kPa [F1-2]
ALT 15
AST 20
ALP 85

Offline MaryC

• Life is not a sprint; it's a marathon.
Greg,
Congrats on your excellent initially labs and healthy lifestyle!  That Hep C doesn't stand a chance of surviving!  And you are giving your body and mind a leg up in your recovery.

I never stopped exercising during my treatment and felt it really helped my overall mental attitude.  I eat mostly healthy, but do struggle with a bit of a sweet tooth also.

Mary

GT 3a
Dx'd 4/15 not known when contracted
Labs 7/15:
-VL 537,000
-AST 32
-ALT 41
-Fibrosis score 0.46 (F1-F2)
Started tx 9/17/2015 with Daklinza + Sovaldi
6/6/16: 24 week EOT SVR!  Cured!

Offline Terri Tree

• Stay Strong Like A Tree
Wow, that is so Awesome for you.  You must feel so good.  I am so encouraged.  I like the plain greek yogurt with berries and hazelnuts.  sometimes I make a berry syrup with honey and stevia as sweetner, doesn't need much.  Diet and exercise really help with feeling and looking better.  Keep up the good work!
Terri Tree
1970's contacted HCV 1a
1997 diagnosed, untreated until now
ALT 150, AST 109, VL 286,000
12-21-2015 started Harvoni 8 week plan

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.