Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2024, 04:31:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55130
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cured Except for the Secret  (Read 12839 times)

Offline Labell

Cured Except for the Secret
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:31:51 pm »
Is anyone having emotional issues from carrying this secret for so long? I have been cured for almost a year. My doctor is still monitoring me, but my blood is clear and my Fibroscan barely registered. I am glad to be rid of Hep C. It was a huge burden to carry. I should be jumping for joy but I am overwhelmed. It is like my life partially stopped in 1998 just carrying that stigma and secret. Now, I can move forward but I clearly can't get back those years. I can't really put into words how I feel. Am I the only one feeling this way?
Diagnosed 1997
Genotype 1a
Cured in 2015 with Harvoni

Offline Baxter

Re: Cured Except for the Secret
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:35:18 pm »
I don't think you're the only one, but it was never a factor for me. I never made a secret of it. I can understand why others would, of course. To me, that would certainly have made it harder. And having kept it a secret would have taken half the fun out of being cured, because I wouldn't have been able to tell anyone!
Gen 1a
Inf. '85
Dx '98
'98 biopsy - Grade 2, Stage 2, VL 7 mil
'01 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 1.5 mil
'08 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'12 biopsy - Grade 1, Stage 1, VL 3.5 mil
'16 Fibrosure - Grade I, Stage 3, VL 6.4 mil and 4.8 mil
4/23/16 - ALT 89, AST 50, pltlts 120k. Started 12 wks Harvoni
4/31/16 - ALT 30, AST 21, pltlts 125k
4/14/16 - ALT 25, AST 16, pltlts 126k, VL 69
5/11/16 - ALT 28, AST 21, pltlts 140k,VL <15
6/7/16 -EOT, UNDETECTED!
9/7/16 - cured. Low Stage 2 fibrosis

Offline Philadelphia

• Global Moderator
  • It only looks like I know what I'm doing
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:59:10 pm »
I didn't really keep it a secret, but I can imagine the emotional stress of doing so would have been a heavy burden to carry. While my friends and family knew, I did make the point of going public with my diagnosis and treatment on radio, print and tv to help raise awareness. I found it strangely liberating. I could stop thinking about who knew and who didn't and just assume everyone knew.

Have you ever thought of seeing a counsellor? I saw one ages ago when I was really sick with HCV and didn't know what the future held. I found it really helpful to talk through my issues and concerns. A support group might be helpful also.

I'm sorry you feel overwhelmed. I hope you feel better soon.
CURED SVR24  Class of 2015
Wk 12 post EOT 30.11.15: ALT 14 AST 22 GGT 22 VL UND
Week 19 07.08.15: ALT 17 AST 23 GGT 25
Week 12 18.06.15: ALT 21 AST 23 GGT 28
Week 8 25.05.15: ALT 23 AST 27 GGT 30 VL UND
Week 4 20.04.14: ALT 30 AST 36 VL 40
Treatment start 23.03.15: ALT 137 AST 185 VL 342,600
Cirrhosis Child-Pugh A, Genotype 1a - Viekira Pak + riba 24 weeks
Total failure interferon/ribavirin/boceprovir Mar 2013
https://www.hepmag.com/blogger/grace-campbell

Offline Labell

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:06:49 am »
I went to a support group a few times very early on when I had no clue what I had. It was depressing. There were a lot of really sick people, and I walked in looking like health and vitality. I felt guilty and stopped going. There were also stories in my city - fire personnel and EMTs with Hep C, sit ins at city hall. The misinformation did not make it easy to talk about. I will search my area for support groups. Thank you.
Diagnosed 1997
Genotype 1a

Offline Mike

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 12:01:52 pm »
Hi Labell,

You're not alone. I felt the same way and never told anyone about my status (not even medical professionals, given the fact that they couldn't refuse to treatment me and are directed to use universal precautions at all times and with all patients).

I just felt shameful and like "damaged goods."

I've been cured for almost 18 months and have put it all behind me.

While it is true that we can't get back the years, we can sure choose to get with the new  years. We can choose to change and live in the here-and-now.

I'll talk about my status if asked, as it is sure nice to say "I had Hepatitis-C. Not I have Hepatitis-C."

You can't change the past and there is no guarantee of tomorrow. All we have is today. Don't let the past ruin it!

Best wishes, Mike

Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline KimInTheForest

• Believe in yourself
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 03:35:06 pm »
You are not alone in those feelings Labell. I had Hep C for about 45 years, and knew about my status for the last 20 of those years. I told virtually no one in that time. My choice to not disclose helped to keep me alive and healthy. It is hard to view yourself as healthy and vibrant when the rest of the world has a different construct of you and is feeding that back to you everywhere you turn. So I don't feel silence was the wrong choice.

When I was cured last year, I wrote a book about it. So I could hardly keep it secret after that since I had a book to promote! haha ;) I had always felt that my secrecy about my Hep C status had been protective and a benefit to me all those years, not a burden. But the day after I issued my press release announcing my new book and my former Hep C status, I was walking through the supermarket and noticing I felt 10 miles high. An enormous weight had been lifted from me by disclosing - a weight I had not even been aware I was carrying all those years.

My suggestion (for what it's worth) would be to use your Hep C story in an empowering way, so that you 'come out' to the world (or to whomever) from a position of personal power and rejoicing and advocacy for others who have not yet been cured. The world will respond to you on the basis of whatever type of energy you choose to put out to the world. They will rejoice with you and praise you for your courage if you come from a position of joy and personal power. They will respond differently if your disclosure is tinged with regret, anxiety, long-carried stigma, etc. You are the orchestra conductor in your life. So be deliberate in setting the tone and tempo where your disclosure is concerned.

You could, for example, share your story on the HEP Stories section of Hep Mag. It is curated/edited by one of our forum moderators, Lucinda Porter, who says: "It doesn't need to be very long (a few paragraphs), and we have a copy editor who spruces up the punctuation. You can submit it online: https://www.hepmag.com/category/hep-stories"

Good luck to you! And remember, you are not alone in any of this.

kim :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:37:37 pm by KimInTheForest »
Kim Goldberg (Nanaimo, BC)
1970s: Contracted HCV (genotype 3a)
2015: Cured with Harvoni + ribavirin (12 weeks)
MY STORY: https://pigsquash.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/undetectable-my-hep-c-story/

Offline Labell

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:48:02 pm »
"Damaged goods." That's exactly how I felt on the inside - mentally and emotionally. Now I just have to get out of my head mentally and emotionally and move forward. Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your stories and responses.
Diagnosed 1997
Genotype 1a

Offline Mike

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:56:05 pm »
Hi Labell,

Don't let that label effect you anymore. We're cured! Both of us!! What a great blessing and freedom. I never thought I would be able to utter the word: "Free at last. Free at last! Praise God i'm free at last!"

Best wishes, Mike
Genotype 1a
Treated 2001 with PEG and RIBV
Treated in 2014 SOL+PEG+RIBV
Cured July 2014

Offline brie41

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 01:09:44 pm »
Hi Labell,

I hid my disease from quite a few people but mostly because I had a young child when I found out and I was afraid of how the other parents would react.  But I was so lucky to have a wonderful family, mine not my Husband's, and good friends that I could lean on for support.  It is funny how I felt guilty not telling my Dentist and when I did I regretted it.  A new Dentist came in and started talking very loudly about my medical history, I was horrified, and even had a Dental asst. come in to take a look at me.  I felt quite low at that moment, but you know I then decided that people will always judge for some reason or another.  I am now cured and must say that it is nice to not have anything to hide or feel like I am infectious.  I remember calling my best friend the day I was diagnosed and told her I would rather have cancer than hcv.  She said I was crazy but I was so overwhelmed that I may have infected people without knowing.  Once I knew that wasn't the case I did what I had to do to deal with  it.  That was always the worst part of it for me.  I hope you can put this all behind you and know you beat it and it is over.  Enjoy your freedom, you earned it!! Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
Ast/Alt always in the 20's
F0-F1, never changed
Treatment naive, started 8 week Harvoni 3/15/16
4 and 8 week labs undetected
6 week eot labs undetected
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline MommaT

• Tomorrow Is a New Day
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 10:44:02 am »
Hello Brie-
I am glad you are Hep C free. I understand and I am baffled that there is a stigma attached to the disease. It started on TV with references as if unclean. This stigma is going to hurt all in the long run because the spread is now staggering. There are so many ways to get Hep C! Now as for AIDS-that attitude shifted to become a very outspoken VISIBLE disease. Many Celebrities and people of notoriety were vocal and SUPPORTIVE. I keep the secret-I am irked when asked by doctors how I got it. Actually it is irrelevant! If I had Breast Cancer there is the pink ribbon and Susan Komen runs-raising awareness and money to fight the disease. If only 1 Philanthropist would stand up and put a face to the disease in a commercial-To show the Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters and right now very young children. PLEASE Take away the stigma! This epidemic is big! Sorry, my rant!
62 year old Female
Treatment Naive
Genotype 2b
2001 Dx Donated blood after 9/11
2002 Biopsy F1
2016 Fibroscan 15 F4
Comp Cirrhosis Stage 1
pretreatment VL 1,722.660 mil
platelets 122 low
alpha 2 Macroglobulins 647
Apolipoprotein A-1 214
GGT 67 high
AFP Serum Tumor Marker 11.4
ALT 563 AST 332
2016 Sept 16 Epclusa started
4 wk VL <15 HCV Detecte
ALT 19 AST 18
8 wk VL HCV Undetected!
12/8/16 EOT Yipee!
12 wk VL HCV Undetected
SVR 12
SVR  24  10/5/2018 HCV Undetected   12/10/18 DETECTED????????

Offline MommaT

• Tomorrow Is a New Day
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 11:04:26 am »
Hi Labell-I see you started this topic and a year after being cured it seems to bring up looking back at the years of struggle. I am just starting to try to be cured. I think it is normal to have feelings looking back it did effect you. Also if there is a day that there is a happy commercial of smiling faces-we are together, we had Hep C-now are cured and feel loved. I almost feel like it is like the Vietnam Vets and an unpopular war so no fan fare. Wouldn't it be great to shout it from the roof tops! I battled a debilitating disease emotionally and physically-and now I Am Triumphant! All I can say we are the Silent Heroes. My hope is someday like the Vietman Vets we will not be shunned silent and forgotten. They finally got a Memorial. Where is our acknowledgement and support for an 'Unpopular Disease"-I am waiting........
62 year old Female
Treatment Naive
Genotype 2b
2002 Biopsy F1
2016 Fibroscan 15 F4
Comp Cirrhosis Stage 1
platelets 122 low
Apolipoprotein A-1 214
GGT 67 high
ALT 563 AST 332
4 wk VL <15 HCV Detecte
ALT 19 AST 18
8 wk VL HCV Undetected!
12/8/16 EOT Yipee!
12 wk VL HCV Undetected
SVR 12

Offline brie41

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 09:42:39 am »
Hi MommaT,

Best of luck on your journey with Epclusa.  I hope you are feeling well and your day will come soon that you will be free of this disease.  I just heard another not so funny hep c joke on Saturday Night Live last night.  It seems it will always be that way and I am not sure anything or anyone will ever change that.  But who knows maybe people will evolve, we can only hope!  I know that Hep C was not a complete negative in my life.  It forced me to look at a social drinking problem i was in denial about and give that up for good.  Also, cleaned up my diet, although still struggle with that at times.  Finding great support at sites like this and sharing the fight together, that saved me for sure!  Brie
Diagnosed  HCV, 1A 2006
Viral load 6 million
Ast/Alt always in the 20's
F0-F1, never changed
Treatment naive, started 8 week Harvoni 3/15/16
4 and 8 week labs undetected
6 week eot labs undetected
13 week eot UNDETECTED!

Offline Labell

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 09:17:43 pm »
I heard that Hep C joke on Saturday Night Live. I would say it will just take time for the stigma to be lifted and the jokes end. But, Hep C was discovered around 1989 - 27 years is a long time. Perhaps as more people are cured, it will just fade away.
Diagnosed 1997
Genotype 1a

Offline Scoutdoy

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 11:58:19 pm »
Is anyone having emotional issues from carrying this secret for so long? I have been cured for almost a year. My doctor is still monitoring me, but my blood is clear and my Fibroscan barely registered. I am glad to be rid of Hep C. It was a huge burden to carry. I should be jumping for joy but I am overwhelmed. It is like my life partially stopped in 1998 just carrying that stigma and secret. Now, I can move forward but I clearly can't get back those years. I can't really put into words how I feel. Am I the only one feeling this way?

Your not the only one. Everyone's experience with hepatitis is different, and can be like a roller coaster. The good thing about 2016 is that there is a cure, and that in itself changes the whole game. For so many years we who had hep c were treated poorly, by family, the medical community, and ourselves. We beat ourselves up on how we got it when we got it and the day to day worry about infecting other people. It was absolutely horrible what some people have had to go through and the lives that were lost because there was no cure.  I would not look at the time you feel like you have lost because of the disease but look at the future about the life that you have and that you will continue living because of the cure
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:08:16 am by Scoutdoy »
F/49yrs
Genotype 1a
infected 1987-tatoo/military?
Diagnosed 2007
Biopsy F-0
vl 13,900,000
AST 23
ALT 19
Harvoni Treatment 7/27/2015
4 week lab --<12 negative...AST 23 ALT 15
6 week lab -- Undetected.....AST 17 ALT 10
8 week lab---undetected.......AST15 Alt 10
12 week lab---UNDETECTED....AST 15 ALT 9
12 week EOT--1/13/2016----UNDETECTED!
24 week EOT ----UNDETECTED  --AST 18 ALT 12
I AM FREE!

Offline LightBeingAtLast

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 10:16:02 am »
First of all, congratulations on your cure!  What a blessing this drug is for those who can get approval from their insurance companies to take it.  Took me a year and a half and four appeals but finally got it.

You are not alone in dealing with the stress of HepC.  When I first found out I was positive, I told my husband.  Then about a year later I told my two sons who were early teens.  For the next two years I only told medical providers. One day I had an epiphany while meditating.  I could and should share this burden with my nearest and dearest.  They will understand and love and support me.  If they don't, well I guess they weren't intended to be in my life at this time.  Everyone, without exception was supportive.  I realize this might not be the same for all folks, but I do know that those who love and support you will not judge you.

It might be of great help to talk with a professional about it if you get stuck.  At a minimum, your Primary Care Physician.  This is a big disease that has big impact on our lives.  There were times, even with the support I had, that I went on anti-depressants for a short while.  They made a huge difference.  I am a yogi and I meditate daily.  These two things changed my life.  I highly recommend meditation.  There are many free online guided meditations that may help calm your brain (our constantly chattering minds) and give you a few moments peace.  If you continue I promise you will be glad you did.  It only takes 3-5 minutes a day but you may eventually find that you can "rest" in a meditative state for much longer.

I wish you the best and will watch for updates.  There is a lot of support here!
64 yo female
Dx Oct 20, 2000
Type 1b
VL 32 mil
Liver biopsy 1979 nonspecific reactive hepatitis
Liver biopsy 2001 stage 1 of 4
Liver biopsy 2007 stage 2
Fibrosure 2015  stage 2
2016 August liver scan stage 4
9/3/16  began Harvoni. Treatment naive.

Offline Karin

• Hi Glad to meet all of you
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 11:55:07 am »
Hello everyone i have not been on the site for quite a while been busy with my new grand daughter !!!!  :) :)
 I chose not to hide my disease from anyone. The reason being I feared they too may be carrying this sneaky disease around with them with out knowing. I posted it on face book and asked all my friends who were born between 45 -65 to please get tested. I suggested they google the disease and the age range and learn why. i have been keeping them posted on my journey also. I have received a lot of positive support, also some have reported back they were tested and were negative of the disease :) I wish I could go on t.v. or anything else to save more. I do not care what others think of me,  even for those who have gotten the disease in a negative way try to remember, that was then this is now. Nobody should judge ANYBODY. I know that is not reality.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:57:52 am by Karin »
genotype 1a
fibroscan f3
diagnosed April 2016
Began Harvoni July 19th 2016
4week blood test today Aug 16 2016
Negative for virus on 4 week check
finished Harvoni Oct 11tth 2016

Offline MommaT

• Tomorrow Is a New Day
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 08:36:02 am »
Hi Karin-
Congratulations Grandmom! I read your post and admire your ability to share your illness on Facebook.  I too wish to shout from the rooftops- get tested!

I don't know why I am so secretive other than to say I constantly feel that Doctors say and act very weird with me! Is it my imagination? Once was comment-trying to be funny Oh, you must had fun in the 60's. I was born in 1954!

Honestly I have no clue how I got it or how long I have had it! One thing I do know is that as a child I received immunizations from unsanitary multi use Jet Gun shots-long now banned  (father in Military) and Hep c study shows it was in blood supply highest rate 1940's-50's. One Doctor said well, I'd like to see that immunization chart. Government denies Veterans and their children any wrong doing on their part.

Thank you and I hope braver than me People like you pave the way!

I think it is now an epidemic. The numbers that have it and do not know it are staggering. Disease is the butt of jokes-

They would never mock AIDs thanks to very visible people Supporting the cause.

I will be clear this disease hopefully in 8 weeks and then maybe will be able to share!
62 year old Female
Treatment Naive
Genotype 2b
2002 Biopsy F1
2016 Fibroscan 15 F4
Comp Cirrhosis Stage 1
platelets 122 low
Apolipoprotein A-1 214
GGT 67 high
ALT 563 AST 332
4 wk VL <15 HCV Detecte
ALT 19 AST 18
8 wk VL HCV Undetected!
12/8/16 EOT Yipee!
12 wk VL HCV Undetected
SVR 12

Offline Karin

• Hi Glad to meet all of you
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 10:32:27 am »
HI Momma T, I do not expect everyone to do as I do. Everybody is different and everybody has a different set of circumstances. For some I am sure its even hard to speak on these boards, so bravo to you for that step you have taken :) Yea I too was a child in the 60's born in 56  I have no ides where i got it from either, but I remember lining up for immunizations in grammar school so there could be a place. Or the dentist  growing up, or any stitches I had and I had a few. So i will never know either. I just pray some how they stop this epidemic so our grandchildren will not fall victim too. I know they sterilize better now but what about the millions out there with it infecting there children and then the childrens children. Kinda confusing but you know what I am saying. It has to be put out there to the world that it is here, it is real,and you could have it. grrrrr i get all fired up when I think of how its not being let known. On those commercials they have for Harvoni they should go into how it could be a hidden disease and how its not only drug users who can get it. ok I am gonna stop now cause my blood pressure is probably of the charts.  I'm glad u are here Momma T and everyone else stay strong and get well  :)
genotype 1a
fibroscan f3
diagnosed April 2016
Began Harvoni July 19th 2016
4week blood test today Aug 16 2016
Negative for virus on 4 week check
finished Harvoni Oct 11tth 2016

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.