Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:02:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 93
Total: 93

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Undetectable for 12 years is it possible for Hep C to return?  (Read 26791 times)

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Undetectable for 12 years is it possible for Hep C to return?
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:13 am »
After being undetectable from hep c for 12 years is it possible for the virus to show up again? I did the I interferon rebetrol treatment when I was pregnant . I assume my doctor was trying to protect the baby.

Asked by Maryland on the article
Twelve Weeks Interferon-Free PSI-7977 Regimen Cures 100 Percent Hep C Genotype 2/3
http://is.gd/mTiTON
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:54:07 am by iana5252 »

Offline hep_mom

Re: Undetectable for 12 years is it possible for Hep C to return?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:59 am »
I haven't heard anything about it 'returning' but I was told you can become re-infected if exposed to the virus again after being cured.

Offline diannastarr

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:13:11 pm »
I'm not a medical professional but this is what I've learned from researching this same question for myself.

The current definition of 'cured' is to be virus-free six months after treatment. It is called sustain your response (SVR).

From what I've read, being 'cured' after six months does not guarantee that the hep C will not come back. You should keep getting checked annually.

If you are positive for Hep C again it could be that original infection returned, or like hep_mom said, you were exposed again.

The good news is there are a couple of new treatment options available if the disease has advanced and you need treatment now. If you can wait a couple of years there is even better options coming with much lesser side effects.

Offline spider123

• Keep On Keeping On.....Pay It Forward
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:04:52 pm »

Re; Undetectabel for Twelve Years;

Congrats !    :)

Keep Getting Tested,  Feed the Liver, Keep away from any possible ways of being Re-Infected !     :)

SVR =  ( Sustained Virological Response )
   50 or Below =  Non- Detectable

The above is the Best Test Results to have !!!     :)

I, Myself have had these for the Past Four (4) years !!!!

Keep On Keeping On,

Spider123

Offline SPrice

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:24:24 am »
Hep C treatment is never given during pregnancy because the Ribavirin can cause severe damage to the baby or spontaneous abortion.

The chance of transmission from mother to baby is very low...less than 5% but it can happen.  So the child should be tested.

There is only one case in which Hep C came back after 8 1/2 years because the person had to take large   amounts of Prednisone which suppresses the immune system. 

Offline karenhoyt

• IHelpC
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »
After getting the SVR 9 mos news, I asked my Dr. He said the odds were slim. He had seen 2 out of thousands that had a viral load after a year. He couldn't be absolutely positive they were not re-infected though.
I'm counting on virus free. Karen:)

Offline SPrice

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:55:21 pm »
The statistics are certainly in your favor.  Congratulations on having cleared the virus.   It is certainly not an easy thing to do.

Offline jberlin

• Global Moderator
  • Contracted Hep C in 76, treated 2004 & 2012, cured
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:51 am »
The answer is 'no'.  The CDC now considers a six month post treatment SVR to be a cure, and believes the instances of virus coming back over time to be re-infections, and not relapse. 

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.