Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insurance Issues  (Read 11857 times)

Offline whypreexistingcondition

Insurance Issues
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:50 am »
I was diagnosed with HepC in 2006.  No history of injectable drug use.  Blood Transfusion in 1981.  No elevated liver count.  Blood test every 6 months and values never over 165,000.  Now down to about 47,000. Diagnosis from Doctor is HepC carrier and not HepC infected.
I have lousy insurance and wanted to change after moving to a different state, but no one will take me because I told them about the virus.  Isn't Hepatitis a liver disease?  And isn't HepC just a virus.  Can I answer on the application No for HepC?  Because when I put yes it is turned down.  I can no longer afford my policy and have increased the deductibles and copay to the highest offered, which is like not having insurance at all.  I am not on medications and the only medical I get is an annual physical and blood work.  Is there a way to get around changing insurances?

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
Re: Insurance Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:36:11 am »
Hello Why:

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your insurance problems.

The full pre-existing clause of the Affordable Care Act (ACA-Obamacare) doesn't kick in until 2014 but the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) serves as a bridge until then and may be of help to you. Check out more info at http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/choices/pre-existing-condition-insurance-plan/index.html

Also by 2014, states must offer health care exchanges where individuals can purchase affordable insurance coverage. (If state chooses not to, one will be available through federal government.) Go to http://statehealthfacts.kff.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=962&cat=17 to find out what your state is planning.

You can also check our Health Services Directory to find a local organization that provides insurance assistance. http://directory.hepmag.com/

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:41:40 am »
Thank you for the information.  This is very helpful.   Don't you think that Cirrhosis and Virus Carrier should be categorized differently in the definition of preexisting condition.  I think that many that are in my situation should defend the position.  Thank goodness for the Obamacare reform.

Offline diannastarr

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:22:29 pm »
Diagnosis from Doctor is HepC carrier

I've never heard of that diagnosis. I thought if you had hep c you had it. It might be chronic and not causing you any noticable problems at the moment but I think from a medical point of view you have hep c.

Doesn't mean it is right to charge you outrageous insurance premiums though. Hopefully Obamacare will really help there. So hard to trust any of the politicians these days.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

The Doctor gave me this diagnosis, because Hepatitis is a medical condition defined by the inflammation of the liver and characterized by the presence of inflammatory cells in the tissue of the organ.

One time I had a slight elevated liver count and tested positive for the virus in 2006.  All liver count tests thereafter have been normal but a low count of the virus shows up.

That is why I think the insurance companies should not be ruling out ALL Hep C virus carriers as high risk or not insurable.  There are many of us with normal livers and are healthy.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.