Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:25:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 6307
  • Latest: golfer
Stats
  • Total Posts: 55125
  • Total Topics: 4851
  • Online Today: 48
  • Online Ever: 1314
  • (June 22, 2016, 05:23:42 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Welcome

Welcome to the Hep Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis B, C or a co-infection, their friends and family and others with questions about hepatitis and liver health. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Hep Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy and Hepatitis C Won’t Keep This Patient Down  (Read 10491 times)

Offline flower-child-68

Hurricane Sandy and Hepatitis C Won’t Keep This Patient Down
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:28 am »
I know this is from a press release but it's still a great story.

As Hurricane Sandy approached the United States, millions of people scurried to secure their homes and keep their families safe during this emergency. But for some people, like Gloria Brown* who lives near the New Jersey shore, this hurricane came with the added risk of potentially keeping them from their life-saving medications.

The Storm Before the Hurricane

Gloria’s world was in a whirlwind, even before Sandy’s arrival. Just 12 weeks before, Gloria received the unexpected diagnosis of hepatitis C. “I got the hepatitis C virus as a “silent gift” during blood transfusions many years ago,” she explains.

“I didn’t have second thoughts about going ahead with treatment, even after my doctor explained all the side effects,” Gloria shares. In fact, she wasn’t very concerned about the treatment: “I mean, who can possibly get all those side effects?” she remembers thinking to herself.

After a two-week grace period, the treatment side effects hit hard. “At first it was only a rash, but that was soon joined by bleeding hemorrhoids and then a fiery itch covering every square inch of my body,” shares Gloria. Still, Gloria faithfully took her medications with hopes of a cure sustaining her. Not even the development of painful mouth sores kept her from continuing treatment.

At the six-week mark into her treatment, right around the time news stations started talking about the possibility of a hurricane approaching the Northeast, “I got the best news ever: a blood test showed that the virus was undetected in my body,” she says. If she could just endure these side effects for a bit longer, she was likely to be cured.

Medications: Casualties of the Storm

On Monday, October 29, 2012, Hurricane Sandy made landfall along the New Jersey shore, not far from Gloria’s home. Unfortunately, Sandy got there before her package, which was stuck at a distribution hub in another state.

Here's the full piece as it appeared on Yahoo...
http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-sandy-hepatitis-c-won-t-keep-patient-130229919.html

Offline diannastarr

Re: Hurricane Sandy and Hepatitis C Won’t Keep This Patient Down
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »
I don't care that its a pharmacy press release. It's still a great story.

I hope it all works out for Gloria and all those poor people down the jersey shore who lost everything in the storm.

Offline karenhoyt

• IHelpC
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:45:47 pm »
That IS an inspirational story!

Offline MollyMadness

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 11:08:26 pm »
What is odd about this story is that I get my medicine by mail order from a pharmacy in New Jersey and I'm in PA.  Couldn't she have gotten her meds from the same pharmacy? And, how did she keep it refrigerated if she had no electricity?  Just askin'.

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.